Help me choose a business car

jonty88

Hi Guys,

With other commitments looming and my Z still being worth what I paid for it the time may soon come to sell. I can qualify for lease hire cars through my business with rates being surprisingly good. Although not as fun as the Z there are some nice cars in my price range but its just deciding on one and getting a 2nd opinion thats the issue.

They are all brand new cars and some im currently considering are: Audi TT S Line Diesel, A Class 1.8 / 2.0 TDI AMG Line in Green, 2 Series M Sport in Valencia Orange, E Class Sport (if possible), Bog standard 3 series or a good spec Scirocco.

Any thoughts and feelings welcome, be honest! 😆

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely boring engines im afraid Ekona. Could splash out more for some performance but got to compromise for the lower running costs.

Seat Leon FR - fantastic cars and when I used to sell them we had a lot of businesses buying them for employees.

interior is very good and drive well.

Thats an interesting one Luke. Never even crossed my mind!

Il check what the rates are like and have a look when I get home

Scirrocco R? Who is paying for the fuel/company car tax?

Ive had Merc A, C and E recently as hire cars and found them quite pretty, very comfy inside but a bit uninspiring to drive, the sort of car you'd expect a retired teacher to drive.

Ive only tried fast 2's but have had some normal 1's and 3's and they are more involving than the Mercs are and not much worse inside so would probably lean that way, Id be having a serious look at the TT though for sure. Can you afford a Jag?

Scirrocco R? Who is paying for the fuel/company car tax?

Ive had Merc A, C and E recently as hire cars and found them quite pretty, very comfy inside but a bit uninspiring to drive, the sort of car you'd expect a retired teacher to drive.

Ive only tried fast 2's but have had some normal 1's and 3's and they are more involving than the Mercs are and not much worse inside so would probably lean that way, Id be having a serious look at the TT though for sure. Can you afford a Jag?

I know what you mean about being a retired teachers car. I personally like the A class with AMG pack in Green with the Black multi spoke alloys. It would be myself paying for the fuel and tax as im self employed, the TT is nice but hate that it has the 'Hair Dresser' stigma.

My brother in law is putting in an order currently for a Jag XF in white with the black pack and black alloys. I was surprised how good it looked in the showroom. Is that an option?

In response to the Jag suggestion from you guys, an XF would be at the very max of my budget and that would be for a base XF but unfortunately my girlfriends Dad owns one and hes not at all a car guy :dry:

sirocco

Interested to why you think this mate. Out of all the cars ive mentioned the Scirocco would probably have the highest spec for my budget, I could afford the GT but not the R.

Definitely boring engines im afraid Ekona. Could splash out more for some performance but got to compromise for the lower running costs.

Bmw's newer B47 190ps diesel engine isn't bad at all, we have it in our 520D and it has plenty of performance and very good running costs. Feels loads better then my old N47 320D

• Like 1

Family friend recently got a new GLC, all shiny but still sounds like a tractor at idle. Honestly sounds like it's done 100K and ready for the scrap yard despite been brand new.

If you don't want a diesel tractor have a look at the hybrids from Lexus which are the same price lease as BMW etc, or even something like the BMW 330e.

• Like 1

sirocco

Interested to why you think this mate. Out of all the cars ive mentioned the Scirocco would probably have the highest spec for my budget, I could afford the GT but not the R.

My wife had a golf, initially I mocked her for buying a soulless car, but after driving it on odd occasions I found it quiet enjoyable. the standard golf interior was ported straight into the sirocco, and actually it was a nice place to be, felt solid, everything worked and never had an issue. I now have the Touareg; ok its not a golf but I have come to find the german manufacturer has got it right a lot of the time.

I also prefer the shape of the rocco over the standard golf. I am tempted in the future if I down size to get a hot hatch and the golf R is top of my list.

sirocco

My wife had a golf, initially I mocked her for buying a soulless car, but after driving it on odd occasions I found it quiet enjoyable. the standard golf interior was ported straight into the sirocco, and actually it was a nice place to be, felt solid, everything worked and never had an issue. I now have the Touareg; ok its not a golf but I have come to find the german manufacturer has got it right a lot of the time.

I also prefer the shape of the rocco over the standard golf. I am tempted in the future if I down size to get a hot hatch and the golf R is top of my list.

Great stuff, does sound like a good car to drive. A friend of ours has a TDI golf and loves it, the rocco GT is just about in budget but F is to expensive really. The scirocco is possibly the cheapest out of all the choices.

Family friend recently got a new GLC, all shiny but still sounds like a tractor at idle. Honestly sounds like it's done 100K and ready for the scrap yard despite been brand new.

If you don't want a diesel tractor have a look at the hybrids from Lexus which are the same price lease as BMW etc, or even something like the BMW 330e.

The lexus' are really smart and also fairly inexpensive for a standard model. Ive always liked the styling but they just dont quite have the badge power but I suppose that shouldnt be a priority 😉

sirocco

Great stuff, does sound like a good car to drive. A friend of ours has a TDI golf and loves it, the rocco GT is just about in budget but F is to expensive really. The scirocco is possibly the cheapest out of all the choices.

I have the Touareg for family reasons, its never going to set the world on fire, but I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I like it and driving it. its a nice cabin to be in, pulls like you want it to does what it needs to.

My wifes golf was the same, she had the golf match. Looked standard, but actually after spending some time with it they really grow on you, its not as in your face as other cars, not as fast as other things, but as a daily driver it was a nice place to be fun to drive, good gear change and the fuel usage was pretty respectable.

The rocco is a nice looking car, and if you can get more kit on it for the same price it would be silly not to. at the end of the day its the work car; anything that makes the drive more comfortable/pleasurable can't be a bad thing.

]

The lexus' are really smart and also fairly inexpensive for a standard model. Ive always liked the styling but they just dont quite have the badge power but I suppose that shouldnt be a priority 😉

Lexus is the biggest 'premium' seller in the US, the last few years they have out sold Merc/BMW/Audi, and ultimatly who really cares about what other people think??

BMW/Merc/Audi are as common as muck in most cities, and having owned a BMW previously I can tell you first hand theirs nothing premium about their build quality and realibity is on par with Peugout/Renault :).

Lexus do 24-48 hr test drives without much hassle. Try one and you might be surprised what you think.

Edited by gangzoom

ultimatly who really cares about what other people think??

Most people on here do. How many times have we heard people say they won't drive X, Y or Z simply because they're too common? Basically, I read that as people worried that every one will think they're a sheep rather than them actually just buying the car that suits them the best. Which is very odd, when you think about it. If you ask about ketchup every one says to buy Heinz because it's the best: It would seem very strange to say "Nah mate, go and buy the Lidl Catsup brand one, it comes in a weird shape bottle that doesn't look like anything else! Doesn't taste as good and it's not really much cheaper either, but at least you won't have another Heinz bottle on the table." It's utterly, utterly bizarre.

I own a BMW and a Renault. I can tell you that BMW quality is considerably better than a Renault :lol:

• Like 1

]

Lexus is the biggest 'premium' seller in the US, the last few years they have out sold Merc/BMW/Audi, and ultimatly who really cares about what other people think??

BMW/Merc/Audi are as common as muck in most cities, and having owned a BMW previously I can tell you first hand theirs nothing premium about their build quality and realibity is on par with Peugout/Renault :).

Lexus do 24-48 hr test drives without much hassle. Try one and you might be surprised what you think.

You are right mate, I think il look in to it more. Saying that I love the RC but its out of my budget, saw one at the weekend and looked really smart in the flesh.

The worst thing for me would be owning a car and seeing tons of them driving up and down the motorway, aka 3 series.

I've driven an is300h and I'm not sure if it's just the cvt gearbox but I'd rather have a 3/5 series.

Big discounts on the F10 5 series at the moment as it's about to be replaced by the G30 5 series, you can get upto 30% of list price.