350Z Roadster Roof Question

DaddyCee

Hi Everyone,

It looks like I need to get the hood replaced as it has failed on one of the corners near the drivers door and also it looks to be going on the otherside as well.

Do I replace with like for like i.e. PVC or go for Mohair?

I hear that Mohair is harder to maintain but a nicer finish.

The best price I have is £850.00 all in but its a fairly long journey away so locally I can get £898.80 +VAT this is for Mohair

or £645 all in for PVC / Standard

Another question - I am being led to believe that Twilweave is another name for Mohair is this correct?

Cheers and appreciate all your responses.

DC

post-15231-0-96768000-1460722019_thumb.jpg

I would personally stay with PVC/vinyl. Mohair is a nicer and arguably classier finish, but in terms of keeping it clean and tidy then vinyl wins hands down. Don't think I'd pay £300 extra for the mohair at any rate.

Also. According to CarHood warehouse a mohair one will stay supple for longer and be subject to less shrinkage (which is what makes the vinyl ones split). But I'm biased I got a mohair one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twill weave is vinyl.

Doesn't look as nice new but ages better IMO.

When I as looking last summer one company used something called "sonnencloth" or similar. Which is oem for merc, BMW and Audi.

Edited by Kev

One aspect you may wish to consider is the low temperature operation of your Roadster roof.

Your existing OEM roof (PVC/vinyl) can be quite stiff at lower temperatures, usually 5 deg C or lower, and may not fully operate until it is warmed up.

I understand that Mohair tops are less susceptible to lower temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

OK had a new mohair roof fitted today and have a couple of issues since getting the car back

1) the drivers window doesn't drop low enough when opening the door to clear the top of the new roof. Is there a window reset or do I need to get this professionally looked at?

2) the gauge that show outside temperature seems to be reading 12C when it was more like 20C. Again can this be reset? or would the replacing of the roof have caused an issue with sensors?

Cheers for all your advice and comments they really are welcomed. Once I get chance I will post some pics of the new roof.

DaddyCee

what both issues? could the changing of the roof cause the temperature gauge to be out? the guy said that the window issue was probably down to some gunk on the rails again I'm not sure if this is correct.

What could he have inadvertently done when replacing the roof do you think Alex?

Don't know mate as I pay some one else to do this sort of stuff.

If it was all good when it went in then I would be asking the question.

However there is always the coincidence factor to consider.

You could always try the window reset, however is that not BSCs responsibility ?

Thanks Alex. I'll call them in the morning to explain. It is a bit strange with the outside temp gauge being borked as well so I'm not sure I would consider it coincidental, but fingers crossed that might sort itself out tonight. If I get up tomorrow and drive off at 7am and the temp is still 12C then I know something is broke.

Thanks again.

Also, I might be in need of some banana arm bushes - can you still get them?

update:

so the temp on the drive in this morning was 9C and then dropped to 8C so it seems not to be stuck at 12C as I first thought. I'm going to see what it says when I leave this afternoon, It should be well above the 12C fingers crossed.

I think the Z sensor is also behind the front bumper, but perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm?

Alex - can you PM me the details on the bushes, costs and payment methods and the type please. I am planning on having a service done in a couple of weeks. Also what brake pads are people using this days for general road use? I have Ferodo DS2500 all round but am thinking of something else as they squeal a bit, even after having them removed and then reseated at the last service.

Cheers.