Diagnose my womp, womp noise.

blazemaguire

Hey all, getting peeved. Getting a womp,womp noise coming from the car. As the z is so noisy anyway it's hard to pinpoint if it's front or rear, let alone which side. All I know is it is proportional to wheel speed and doesn't seem to transmit Any vibration through the steering wheel. I had a brand new set of pirelli p zero fitted all round about 800 miles ago. One of the small balancing weights had come off at some point, so got quick fit (who supplied) to rebalance and check all four, but noise still remains. In the same time frame, I DIY replaced front pads... about 300 miles after the tires. This is when I remember the noise really started. I then got some new discs from z man Alex (great price BTW!) for the front as I noticed the old ones were badly lipped and mis wearing the new pads, thought this might be the issue, but no, Noise is still occurring. I've had all four corners off the ground, can't detect any play or obvious noise from wheel bearings. With pads out on the front, the offside has a slight tick noise when spun. The rear bearings are harder to guess as they're slowed by being attached to the drive shafts but I can't feel any play in them. Any better way to check rears? Any other theories? It's driving me crazy and ruing the car for me at the moment. The Cars is a 55 plate DE, with only 63k on the clock... seems a bit low mileage in my experience to be wheel bearings, and odd that it came on with changing tyres / brakes. Could a single small mass missing have unbalanced the tyre enough to have taken the wheel bearing out? My best guess is it's coming from front OS, but I'm struggling to pin point it. Anyone got any methods of telling for sure before I start buying bearings. I'm handy with a spanner, so I'll be doing it myself. Just short on funds after having taken 2 weeks paternity leave this month! (Still hanging on to the zed though, just...)

Thanks

Rob

Find a long sweeping bend and drive it at 40ish with the radio off, see if the noise increases sweeping right and drive back along it sweeping left. If the noise in any way changes i'd just change the bearings for all the effort thats involved

• Like 1

Cheers. Just tried that going home, it still throbs turning either way, though in a less irritating way (if that's an acceptable measure) when turning left on a long turn. If driving straight ahead and turning the wheel ever so slightly with some left pressure, this alleviates the noise somewhat.

Cheers. Just tried that going home, it still throbs turning either way, though in a less irritating way (if that's an acceptable measure) when turning left on a long turn. If driving straight ahead and turning the wheel ever so slightly with some left pressure, this alleviates the noise somewhat.

You may have to be a bit more aggressive with your turns, but try and keep it on the black stuff.

All you are doing is transferring the load which in turns changes the tone of the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed. If it helps others, it was the front NS wheel bearing. Diagnosed by feeling for different vibrations in the coil springs with wheels off ground. I've never had a wheel bearing sound like that before, but after taking it off, it was clear water had got in the back and the bearing was corroded with rust and knackered seals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hope nobody minds the bump... I have a ticking coming from my OS front wheel, changes speed with the wheel, when turning left it goes from a tick to a click.

Is this likely to be wheel bearings?

I can't recreate the sound with the wheel off the ground...

Hope nobody minds the bump... I have a ticking coming from my OS front wheel, changes speed with the wheel, when turning left it goes from a tick to a click.

Is this likely to be wheel bearings?

I can't recreate the sound with the wheel off the ground...

Check wheel nuts are tight, then check disks for rust build up on edges and check the brake dust shield for trapped stones and/or bending

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

Deffo use the spring to sense which bearing. You can't hear it normally, but you could feel the roughness when spinning the wheel and holding the spring. Very different to the side that didn't have the duff bearing. And by the way, I brought a cheap £50 eBay wheel bearing. It's fine so far, so don't believe everyone when they say you need to buy expensive ones or OEM