Advice wanted on removing throttle bodies

jowen7448

Hi all, I was after some advice for removing the throttle bodies on my HR to give them a nice clean. I have removed covers and hoses etc so access isn't the issue. It's that the Allen bolts are well and truly not shifting and was after advice on how to loosen them up.

I have tried a light tap with a hammer on the end of an Allen key but didn't want to tap too hard as I know I don't want to shock the throttle body too much, am I correct in thinking I shouldn't try too hard with the hammer? I was also wondering whether or not it was advised to use something like WD40 on the bolts or heat to try to loosen them up a bit, I am not massively keen on the WD40 idea but since I will be giving them a good clean afterwards would this be ok? The heat idea is almost a non starter as i don't think I have a suitable heat source at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome.

NO Heat and NO hammer please.

Just make sure that you have a good allen key or socket.

They will crack loose if sufficient pressure is applied.

However I have seen a long allen key bend as they do tend to be tight.

Thanks for replies all. Had a walk out to pick up some Allen key sockets for my 3/8. By the time I had sorted dinner out for the misses it was quite late when I started but all done now and some much cleaner throttle bodies reinstalled. Doubt they had ever been cleaned before. They were covered in crud. Will test drive tomorrow see if she feels any more responsive or smoother.

Please dont open the butterflies without the battery connect or the ECU connected , opening the butterflies without disconnecting the power and TB will brick the idle Eprom , it is fixable but isn't cheap.

You mean don't open with the battery connected lol! Confuse the poor lad :lol:

Where you located? Always happy to lend a hand/tools.

As mentioned in another post I am in Leeds, but thanks for the kind offer. Always nice when people offer to lend a hand. Although if you ever desperately fancy doing the trip to Leeds in order to lend a hand for something I wouldn't turn you away :p Throttle bodies cleaned and reinstalled last night.

Please dont open the butterflies without the battery connect or the ECU connected , opening the butterflies without disconnecting the power and TB will brick the idle Eprom , it is fixable but isn't cheap.

Thanks, by the time I had read your comment I had actually finished. I have seen this suggestion before and whilst useful I would always completely remove the throttle body to clean it anyway (as I did this time too) which necessitates it being disconnected from the power with force of habit making me always disconnect the battery before pulling plugs.

I am not worried that I have corrupted ECU or anything but assume if I had there would be symptoms and a CEL?

I cleaned throttle bodies last night, didn't get chance to do all the peddle dancing since for the Idle Air Volume Learning you need to warm the car and rev it up and since it was gone 11pm I didn't think neighbours would appreciate it so much.

Did the ECU reset, Accelerator Pedal Release Position, Throttle Valve closed Position and then Idle Air Volume just now and the idle seems a little on the high side (a nudge under 1000).

I am pretty sure I got the dances correct as per the thread on them here. Does idle of 1000 seem a bit high? I will run her out shortly to get some fuel and see how she feels but wondered if anyone had any comments?