Video of my 350z with new Ark Grip

colesl4w

Hi all,

Here's a video of me running my new Ark Grip with stock cats! Certainly louder than the Milltek hahah.

This clip isn't accurate as the camera was clipping out with the volume.

EDIT: Here is a much better video, showing what it really sounds like from the driver seat:

Edited by colesl4w

Hi all,

Just an update on this! I absolutely love this exhaust! If you're getting one fitted, or have one and suffer from drone, read below!

I've put about 400 miles on the exhaust since I got it. From it being fitted, it sounded absolutely amazing at WOT, but tended to drone a LOT between 18000-2500 rpm. Due to my driving style this was going to take a bit of getting used to particularly while doing slow town driving! I was really surprised because this exhaust was supposed to be designed to have very little drone, and barely anyone else complained about drone.

After doing a bit of reading online, I saw a post on a corvette forum saying that drone can be caused by the tips of an exhaust not being far enough away from the rear bumper. Right enough, when mine was fitted, the exhaust tips were barely extended at all, maybe 2cm past the bumper at most. Here's a picture of how it was when first installed:

http://i.imgur.com/3P6KPHD.jpg

So just this afternoon after work, I decided to adjust the tips by pulling them out a couple of inches. It's just one 10mm bolt on each tip that needs to be loosened. The tips might feel like they wont budge, but just give them a proper yank with one hand on the front and back and they'll shift. Here's where they're sitting now:

http://i.imgur.com/las3cHI.jpg

Not sure if it looks a bit goofy out that far or not, and I can look at pushing them back in a bit to the point of where drone starts again. The difference is MASSIVE. There's only a slight hint of drone now between 1800-2000 rpm, but I'd say the drone has gone down by like 90%. It's not even remotely annoying now. As the exhaust cokes up even more with usage, I think this will decrease even more. I can't believe a 10 second fix has had such a massive impact! Went for an hour long drive despite being starving just to enjoy the exhaust properly!

Hopefully that helps someone :)

Depends what you mean by drone perhaps. With mine I can certainly hear it under any kind of load, particularly at low revs, but cruising at 3000rpm or so on a flat road it seems about the same as stock.

Do you have yours extended out much? By drone I mean a really loud monotone sound which basically sounds like your entire boot is a massive speaker. If you haven't tried, I would really recommend extending them right out to see if there is any difference at all.

EDIT: Ah, saw your updated post. I can see why you prefer the flush look. Personally for me I can put up with them being extended out in order to get rid of the drone!

Edited by colesl4w

See my second post... I moved them in by around an inch. Didn't really notice any difference and wouldn't say I ever had what you described, but then it maybe depends on driving style and also matter of opinion.

I've put about 800 miles on it now and it sounds absolutely perfect. There was almost a sudden change in tone recently after a few long drives. Its now FAR quieter inside when cruising (a good thing), just a nice low deep tone, but still beautifully loud when giving it some. I love the sound of this exhaust more and more every mile that's put on it!

Also had an American guy with the Grip say that he adjusted his tips out after my recommendation and said the drone he had is now massively reduced even though his exhaust was well broken in!

• 2 weeks later...

Sort your airbag light out lol would drive me nuts!

Hahahah I know :(. I have my MOT very soon so it does need sorted! Ordered a new clock spring as the code was coming up as my driver airbag, hopefully that'll fix it :S.

Have you tried resetting it first?

Sort your airbag light out lol would drive me nuts!

Hahahah I know :(. I have my MOT very soon so it does need sorted! Ordered a new clock spring as the code was coming up as my driver airbag, hopefully that'll fix it :S.

Have you tried resetting it first?

Thanks for the suggestion - I have indeed, both with a diagnostics machine and with the ignition key dance. It comes back quickly though =(. Clock spring was only £50 from Alex, so worth a shot!

• Like 1