Another HR with failed oil gallery gaskets

johnrw

I know this has been covered quite a few times but thought I would add this for the record 59700 miles.

I replaced oil gallery gaskets a few weeks ago and here are the results :

Before oil pressure at hot idle (measured with a proper gauge) running 5w40 oil 16psi, 48psi @ 2000 rpm

After replacement running 5w30 oil at hot idle 29psi, 61psi @ 2000 rpm

I also replaced timing chain, tensioner, guides, water pump,bottom sprocket, o-rings and gaskets.

You can see the gaskets where blown out in the corners.

Drives much nicer now. Really quiet at idle, much smoother and pulls better as well probably slightly influenced by thinner oil and other parts but definitely needed doing.

8_zpsurx719ea.jpg

4_zpsswaobx7g.jpg

3_zpsuwstbr0g.jpg

6_zpswd5j59z7.jpg

Before

Before_zpsxc9gzpxe.jpg

After

After_zpskovatxqn.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the early engine DE/REV UP doesn't have this issue.

The 370 2012 onwards has the uprated gaskets.

If the HR has low oil pressure caused by the leaking gaskets the inlet cam control is a little slow in responding , idle seems to be a little uncontrolled.

You wont lose any oil from the leakage as the leak is internal in the engine thou.

I may be wrong, but as far as I have read, it relates to the HR engine which is the 2006 ->

Just a small correction, the HR engines were introduced in 2007.

Bear in mind that some DE/rev-up engined Zeds were first registered in 2007 - 2010, so they would not be affected by the issue in this thread.

I know this has been covered quite a few times but thought I would add this for the record 59700 miles.

I replaced oil gallery gaskets a few weeks ago and here are the results :

Before oil pressure at hot idle (measured with a proper gauge) running 5w40 oil 16psi, 48psi @ 2000 rpm

After replacement running 5w30 oil at hot idle 29psi, 61psi @ 2000 rpm

I also replaced timing chain, tensioner, guides, water pump,bottom sprocket, o-rings and gaskets.

You can see the gaskets where blown out in the corners.

Drives much nicer now. Really quiet at idle, much smoother and pulls better as well probably slightly influenced by thinner oil and other parts but definitely needed doing.

8_zpsurx719ea.jpg

4_zpsswaobx7g.jpg

3_zpsuwstbr0g.jpg

6_zpswd5j59z7.jpg

Before

Before_zpsxc9gzpxe.jpg

After

After_zpskovatxqn.jpg

I'm having my oil gallery gaskets replaced soon as soon as they arrive from Nissan.

Could I ask you where did you purchase your timing chain and tensioners and sprockets from? I had a quote from Nissan for these and they were a ridiculous price and a cost that I just can not afford.

Also did you change your cam cover seal as well ? Nissan told me they don't sell the seal on its own and that I must purchase a whole new cam cover and again the price for this was just insane.

Any help as to where to get these parts will be greatly appreciated 👊
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

What kind of damage does this issues do to the engine?

Thanks

It can damage the top end particularly the camshafts, potentially writing off the engine

It's obviously not a job done in a couple of hours, so what kind of time scale and work input does this involve? I've got an HR and it has me thinking about it for the future. I want to steer away from paying £800 to get it done elsewhere if I can help it.

Just got this done by Horsham, luckily aswell because apparently my engine was about to go pop, just bought the car and wasn't aware about common problem! Now running better oil pressure! Bank accounts not looking pretty mind

Mine was originally idling 12/13 after being warmed up, now it's idling around 28/29 after warming up :)

So what should hot & cold pressures actually be ? And is there a prevention ?

Doesn't it always throw up an error code if you have an oil pressure issue ?