Lancer evolution, R33 GTR, S15......

nowhereboy

Just noticed pistonheads has a few R32 GTR's hiding on the R34 page. Another car I've always liked the look of.

I know they're very old cars now, what's the likelihood of it being more reliable than the evo?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r34/nissan-skyline-r32-gt-r-2-6-twin-turbo-jdm-2dr/3915659?v=b

Well priced too. I actually really like the look of that. Could use some nice new bucket seats to freshen up the interior mind.

I looked at R34 GTT as a replacement for the 350. The neo engine is a very good and easily tuned to 350 - 400.

The factors that put me off though, in standard guise it looks absolutely sh*t, so i wanted something with gtr bumper, bonnet etc, but to really get the benefits it needs the gtr rear arches. It wasnt a problem finding something similar to that, but then onto the 2nd problem, only imo of course, the price. I just could not get my head around paying £9k + for a late nineties car, jm imports had a lovely one (minus the wheel colour), but it was near £11k, this one:

http://jm-imports.co...00ps-gtr-front/

To explain my price issue, i appreciate they have a value, but to me, it wasnt going to be £3k-£4k better than my 350, certainly wasnt going to be as nice a place to be or live with, so in the end, found a supercharged Zed at a sensible price and wouldnt give a r34gtt a 2nd look now.

I have a soft spot for an Evo5/6, anything after and they look just a little dull imho, but and i know its wrong, but just cant get my head around owning one as an old fella at 45, its a young mans car.

R32 would be my Skyline of choice, but no way i would want one as a daily, you will spend time fettling and it will feel very old compared to your 350.

Edited by Jetpilot

Horses for courses JP, 350 has a glaring omission of a couple of seats in the back, and the OP said he wants a change. I get that a supercharged Zed (probably £15k minimum I would have thought?) is properly quick, but looking at alternatives. Agree the GTT body shape is dull but like any car the body work is a movable feast, you only have to look at what chargespeed and amuse have done for the Zed (which I think looks pretty lame in standard guise in terms of body shape).

I found my DE 350z about on par in terms of comfort as my R33, R33 had better seats (albeit had the GTR limited edition ones). I think the early 350z in terms of a nice place to be were not quite that, in fact they were very sparse in terms of comfort.

The R34s will just keep going up in value, 350z's have some time to go before they see the same...depends on what you want out of a car if you bought one right now.

Horses for courses JP, 350 has a glaring omission of a couple of seats in the back, and the OP said he wants a change. I get that a supercharged Zed (probably £15k minimum I would have thought?) is properly quick, but looking at alternatives. Agree the GTT body shape is dull but like any car the body work is a movable feast, you only have to look at what chargespeed and amuse have done for the Zed (which I think looks pretty lame in standard guise in terms of body shape).

I found my DE 350z about on par in terms of comfort as my R33, R33 had better seats (albeit had the GTR limited edition ones). I think the early 350z in terms of a nice place to be were not quite that, in fact they were very sparse in terms of comfort.

The R34s will just keep going up in value, 350z's have some time to go before they see the same...depends on what you want out of a car if you bought one right now.

I agree, just sharing from being in a similar position to the op, i wanted a change, but without rose tinted specs as i know the 350 has its failings, its all bang for buck and justifying my outlays and subsequently the 34 just wasnt going to tick enough boxes to make it a better option than a 350. I have never struggled with comfort in the 350, i remember posting a few months after buying i just done a 500 round trip, m ways, a and b roads and felt i could do it again, i also said then, try doing that in a highly tuned rx7, which is why i mention above, get out in some traffic and general driving as in general, thats where you spend most of your time.

I am not right or wrong, just giving an opinion from my experience :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

The R34 GTR is ridiculously overpriced, the prices of R32 and R33 GTRs are about right, the R34 is pricing half driven by the F&F brigade I suspect. Especially given the price of the R34 GTT, it just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of R34 GTTs with a bit of fettling that would easily match a stock R34 GTR, they are really an overlooked car and subsequently undervalued.

I'd say 50\50 FF & Gran Turismo 2. Most people who played that game fell in love with the R34 and are now at the age they can comfortably buy one.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

now at the age they can comfortably buy one.

Just my opinion.

Totally on the money. I am into old school bmx's, the prices are just crazy and it basically comes down to that, couldnt afford them when growing up, probably earning silly money now, so will pay whatever to own them.

• Like 1

I was going to say no way is it standard ride height and the skirts etc are extras, most GTTs up for sale don't have those stock. Actually didn't Ian own this car first? Bought it for around £3k and had to do a load of work to it then sold it for £6k or something? Seems to look familiar?

• Like 1

Its too cheap, and the engine is too standard IMO. And a quick google shows that Motorhub is the new name of the dreaded Keighley Trade Centre, probably the least reliable garage in the UK.

Also think it was a Spec S to start with rather than a Spec R and its still too cheap. WALK AWAY.

• Like 1

options

So not standard then. Standard R34's look a bit aids:

a8119eu-960.jpg

Very few R34 GTT's left the showrooms without either a bodykit or some kind of options, there were at least 4 bodykits you could spec, very much like modern day BMW's M'cars

Edited by Richf@H-Dev

I was going to say no way is it standard ride height and the skirts etc are extras, most GTTs up for sale don't have those stock. Actually didn't Ian own this car first? Bought it for around £3k and had to do a load of work to it then sold it for £6k or something? Seems to look familiar?

Not me. I've never owned a gtt

Its too cheap, and the engine is too standard IMO. And a quick google shows that Motorhub is the new name of the dreaded Keighley Trade Centre, probably the least reliable garage in the UK.

Also think it was a Spec S to start with rather than a Spec R and its still too cheap. WALK AWAY.

Cheers dude, I realize motorhub have a terrible reputation! Shame as they have the biggest selection of jap imports in the uk by the look's of it.

Was warned off Motorhub a while ago. Good advice.

Cheers dude, I realize motorhub have a terrible reputation! Shame as they have the biggest selection of jap imports in the uk by the look's of it.

They do, but it won't be fresh imports, it'll be the dross thats been ragged rotten all over the place that no-one can get rid of.

Far better going to a reputable palce like JM Imports, Harlow Jap Autos or even New Era & getting a car that's in good nick :)