Speed Awareness Course Impact on Insurance

luka761

Admiral told me (during a rather heated conversation on this subject 😄) that they want to know if people have attended these courses because basically the driver has been caught speeding. The fact that they did the course rather than getting points on their license doesn't change fact they were speeding.

Right or wrong, whether you agree with it or not, this was Admiral's standpoint

Being in N Wales I know a lot of people who have been on one of the courses.

They all say the course was of great use to them and interesting.......

Then within a month go back to driving as they have for the last 10/20/30 years. :shrug::lol:

Admiral told me (during a rather heated conversation on this subject 😄) that they want to know if people have attended these courses because basically the driver has been caught speeding. The fact that they did the course rather than getting points on their license doesn't change fact they were speeding.

Right or wrong, whether you agree with it or not, this was Admiral's standpoint

I think its fair to say its a reasonable stand point, the reason you have to declare points for insurance is so they can identify what transgressions you have done done in the past with relation to driving, they are looking for a driving profile to price you premium up to a level that gives them the right risk assessment.

The ideal is that they could monitor all your driving over a period of time to assess that risk...

...which the black box companies do, you pay your premium, install the box, if you are constantly under the speed limit you get % of your premium back.

ilogikal1, if the insurance company don't have access to the SAC attendee database, how will they be able to use this information to invalidate your claim? I know someone who has been on the SAC and then got caught speeding again. Police ran a licence check and SAC didn't come up. The conviction went to court and still no-one spotted the SAC. So, who actually has this information and can access it??

I was wondering this on my commute today actually. Theoretically only you and the police know you attended the course, so if it were to come to light during an insurers investigation would that mean that you could sue the police force for sharing this information with a third party that has no right to that information?

If there were even the slightest possibility of that, the police would guard that information to protect themselves, as such; how would anyone know?

Unless you admitted it somewhere, say a public forum or to a bunch of mates in the pub, for example....

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

Social media.This forum.

People BRAGG about going on the course. (as Dan said earlier)

EDIT..

Today most companies have people dedicated to doing social media etc searches. Be it a job,a crime or a blind date...

Edited by ChrisS

I know someone who has been on the SAC and then got caught speeding again. Police ran a licence check and SAC didn't come up. The conviction went to court and still no-one spotted the SAC. So, who actually has this information and can access it??

At one time local police forces had their own SAC database which they didn't share, so you could attend a course in Wales then get caught speeding in say Somerset and do another course. These days all the SAC's are on a shared database, except for maybe Scotland who don't do SAC's and Northern Ireland plus the Crown dependencies.

If over 3 years have elapsed you can be offered another SAC and previous attendance won't show up.

Things are done differently these days, points are removed from the DVLA database after a certain period (depends on the offense) but not from the PNC. At one time, if you attended court then they would read out all of your motoring offenses back to the year dot. Mate of mine, he's in his 80's now, got caught speeding in 1983 and they read out his previous speeding conviction back in 1958!!

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I got nabbed by North Yorkshire and did their awareness course.... Yes it was the A19. Did the course at Scotch Corner hotel.

At the start of the course we were told that we did NOT have to report the fact that we were doing this course, as such we had not commited an offence, but merly undertaking some education. In fact the RoSPA woman who took the course, felt so strong about the "Insurance company" thing, that she was happy to give out her number to back up anyone who got panalised by their insurance company.

To this day, I have never been asked by any of my 3 insurance companies if I had been on one of these courses, Admiral is not one of them, as such, it never affected my insurance.

• Like 1

At one time local police forces had their own SAC database which they didn't share, so you could attend a course in Wales then get caught speeding in say Somerset and do another course. These days all the SAC's are on a shared database, except for maybe Scotland who don't do SAC's and Northern Ireland plus the Crown dependencies.

Pete

Apparently, Hampshire, Dorset and The City of London are not part of the SAC database either.

Pete

This is all good info, I suggest I will probably end up having to change insurance companies.

As for my Trump-like high annual premium I attribute it to either:

a.) being in the military because we generally get shat on by insurance companies & banks, or

b.) possibly something to do with writing off my beloved 350z on the M6 three years ago. (those 305 rears really like to aquaplane)

Not that I'm bitter, as a public servant obviously I get paid @*!# loads of money..... :blink:

Thanks for the advice guys.