Points for posting.

steve_b

All

Do not know if it is possible with the software we run but one interesting difference on a BMW forum I visit is the concept of points for posting.

If you post you get a point, if you reply you get a few more BUT the big difference is that you can donate your points to someone else if they help you out.

What this does is effectively differentiates the POST WHORE from the chaps who have the knowledge. I can see if someone posts a lot by there post count but if they have massive points it means they kind of know what they are talking about.

Not saying anything wrong with this place as I will stick around due to the great people here but just a thought.

NO. Just a suggestion and will not stop anyone posting and should change people behaviour at all.

Its just help you work out who is using it as a social site, which is great for entertainment and helps set US apart from other 350z web sites AND the people that you look for technical answers from.

yeap, you lose points but will gain more the more you post, eventually you gain knowledge and then people start to give you some in exchange for info.

The donating of points is not forced and if you do not want to give any away you do not need to, more a "thank you" thing.

yeap, you lose points but will gain more the more you post, eventually you gain knowledge and then people start to give you some in exchange for info.

The donating of points is not forced and if you do not want to give any away you do not need to, more a "thank you" thing.

Which BMW forums if this then?

Its all done if you want to, nothing is forced on any members and seems to work. I started with nothing and people were very willing to posts answers. No one asked for points, it was just something I noticed which was different.

100% you do not need to pay for help, the same people will posts answer irrespective if the system was there or not.

It just help the newbie work out if the answer is coming from a chap who has been donated points, could be he knows what he is talking about or could be he has lots of mates. Either way you still get information and no one asks for anything in return which is exactly what is done here.

:lol: so the more help you need the more posts you need to write to get it, might be quicker to pay a donation to the folk helping :D

Its all done if you want to, nothing is forced on any members and seems to work. I started with nothing and people were very willing to posts answers. No one asked for points, it was just something I noticed which was different.

100% you do not need to pay for help, the same people will posts answer irrespective if the system was there or not.

It just help the newbie work out if the answer is coming from a chap who has been donated points, could be he knows what he is talking about or could be he has lots of mates. Either way you still get information and no one asks for anything in return which is exactly what is done here.

:lol: so the more help you need the more posts you need to write to get it, might be quicker to pay a donation to the folk helping :D

sorry steve didnt mean to knock your work (thats not my style) im all up for some changes to spice the place up :thumbs:

To add a "social" comment:

What do points make ?

I like the mix of technical and social (obviously), I think if there is a fun element to something you get a better atmosphere and more "stickiness". I know I'm not ever going to be a match for most if not all of you on the technical side and that's fine, I appreciate the knowledge others have and what they give. My own area of speciality is of no help in this forum but in workplace I'm always happy to share and help and get personal pleasure from others learning and progressing.

My only counsel would be that what ever you decide to implement needs to be easily manageable.

Points do not make prizes in this case.

The way it works is there is a "donate" button next to the "profile" and "PM" buttons at the bottom of your posts.

Therefore if I ask "how do I unlock 2 doors with one click" and you come back with the answer, I just click your donate button and give you points, simple.

Like you, I do not know many of the answers, just looking to let people know what other forums/clubs do to make it a better place. I am sure that someone with a HSV could let us know what is good and different over there and then we could nick all the best ideas from everywhere, this end up with this great place getting even better.

on SELOC Kev can probably see 150 people online at the same time. They must be doing something good we can steal from there, not that many more elises than 350z. (they do have 10000 members)

Been mulling this one over a bit.

There must be a std list of reasons why people use forums and they may already have been discussed.

I didn't know this forum existed until I found it via search engines, so if my experience is common then getting people to hear about it is the first user/consumer problem. I don't know, but have the various "active" members who bought through dealers / importers pushed getting the forum known when others buy a Zed ? Similarly for after market parts and tuners.

Works two ways, those who get service from them go back and recommend, most likely in their opinion on the forum etc..

Having got the initial contact the problem is them becoming sticky for them to return. This is where the content and spirit of the forum comes in to play. Having a good and responsive set of experts is fundamental and especially when mixed with a good spirit. Change is generally good, things need to evolve and occasionally something radical needs to be added.

I agree somehow it is important to encourage the experts and recognise them, how I don't know, but keeping mgt items simple is usually a good place to start.

One thing that is always good to ask in these situation is "how do you know it has been and continues to be successful ?", is it number of posts / visits / amount of advice / greatest number of registered ids?

I'm relatively new to this but like coming back to browse / post, I tend to read on items and not post as I have nothing useful / fun to add. I may like to think I'm one in a million but as we know if you said that in China that means there would be over 1300 people just the same :scare: , but I doubt I'm alone / special in my 350z-uk forum browsing approach.

Guest prescience

This is a good idea in principle IMO but I think it probably works best on a forum with thousands of regularly posting members. Here and on other UK 350Z sites, most people I suspect read most of the posts and are generally very willing to provide advice - thus you have a good quorum from the outset. Also any bad advice is quickly picked up for the same reason.

If it can be done simply, it might be worth a go, but if it's a lot of effort to implement I doubt the benefit justifies the time to set -up (Chris ;))

Ive already thought as much - I dont know if the code exists, but with a whole bunch of other stuff to get sorted for the club ready for the upcoming season of shows etc, I think all of us on the team will have enough on our plate for now.

If we get some spare time it may be something to look at as in principal it sounds quite positive.

I see no benefit whatsoever in this really? So what if someone has loads of points? What does that prove to anyone?

I think info and advice should be given and taken as that persons opinion and based on that only. 50,000,000 points wouldn't make me think that person opinion was any more valued. I value a group concensus of opinion and not one individuals, hence the beauty of a forum. Without forums most of us would only have stealers to rely on for info and opinions and we all know the bollocks they talk :blush:

I've helped dozens of newbies in the past, mainly due to my 24/7 attendance :blush: Say they all give me loads of points for helping them. What if then a newbies posts up about S/C their zed, which i know **** all about. Someone like prescience who is highly knowledgable but less frequent a poster, may have a significantly lower 'points' tally to me? Who's advice would you take? :blush::lol:

I think a points system based on 'advice' is dangerous ground.... past advice is no indicator of sound future advice imo. The idea of a forum is that you are asking a collective of people a question, not one individual. :)

Does not seem people like it as much as I and I only suggested to help new out.

If the consensus thinks its will not add value and people are too busy to implement then not a problem with me.

Chris is you want to lock it to ensure its put to bed then please do so.