No longer a potential 350Z owner...

Five days in, so far so good. Trust me to buy a car like this just when a really cold spell starts! So still taking it very easy on roundabouts but trust me the loud pedal is getting some use.

I have 20 years of "rarely going above 3000rpm", I guess I am supposed to eventually get out of that habit, right? :-)

I did have a bit of a scare on Tuesday night negotiating the most infamously vicious speed bumps I've ever seen (Wigman Road in Nottingham, in case anyone knows it). Rookie-style, I tried to "straddle" one, I know you are meant to try and put one wheel over the apex when you have a low nose like on the Zed, but these bumps - which are actually the height of a standard kerb! - are also tightly chicaned. Anyway I was doing perhaps 4mph and I still heard this MASSIVE bang....and then again on the next bump despite taking it even more carefully. Honestly thought I'd dropped a bumped or crushed the back box. Happily there was actually no harm done, I guess it was just the front bumper "underskirt" doing its job but BOY what a noise.

I can deal with those speed bumps now, just super slow and careful not to scrub the alloys on the chicanes.

The boot is a bugger to open isn't it! I tend use the spoiler as a handle!

It is not as bad as I expected for reverse parking, I even had to parallel park on Monday night which I don't like doing at the best of times.

Have stalled it twice so far, like the hero that I am.

Still got a lot to get used to but am a happy new owner. :D

Gotta sort out the interior light though!

post-27984-0-53337700-1453374246_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue Straggler

Not good those speed bumps, although they look pretty much par for the course driving around inside zone 3 in London :lol:

Glad you are enjoying, when I read new purchase threads I do fear for that post that comes up saying something terrible has happened to the car...glad you are negotiating early ownership well!

• Like 1

Jingers! First week of use shows 22mpg average. Mostly sensible driving, below 3000rpm. Brim-to-brim average, 48.8l for 232 miles unless I recorded the start mileage wrongly.

OK on Sunday when I picked up, I had a bit of a "play" and I had a couple of other "high rev" fun moments and some test journeys around bendy back roads, but mainly it's been dual carriageway and some motorway trips i.e. sensible cruising conditions.

Apart from yesterday morning when my 25 minute, 14-15 mile commute had an additional 2h+ sat almost static due to an accident. But I can't imagine that that alone could have dropped the average. And of course I know that this is not a car that you buy for fuel efficiency !

Granted, I was getting 46.6mpg from the diesel KIA and admitted that I expect my fuel costs to double, but I thought I'd been taking it easy this week!

This was on 98RON.

Probably best if I stop keeping records :-)

Regarding boot, you could do the 'penny trick' (you will find details on the forum)

I did this on my 350 and have just done it again on my 370 (can't believe this wasn't sorted by Nissan when they redesigned/upgraded the car???)

Anyway, it works a treat....

Oh and regarding economy 22 mpg isn't bad, I think I averaged over 2 years ownership of the 350...23 mpg, sometimes this went up to 27 mpg (with a decent run) but sometimes dipped to 18ish mpg.

As Humpy says, driving a 350 isn't about mpg, just enjoy....

Jingers! First week of use shows 22mpg average. Mostly sensible driving, below 3000rpm. Brim-to-brim average, 48.8l for 232 miles unless I recorded the start mileage wrongly.

OK on Sunday when I picked up, I had a bit of a "play" and I had a couple of other "high rev" fun moments and some test journeys around bendy back roads, but mainly it's been dual carriageway and some motorway trips i.e. sensible cruising conditions.

Apart from yesterday morning when my 25 minute, 14-15 mile commute had an additional 2h+ sat almost static due to an accident. But I can't imagine that that alone could have dropped the average. And of course I know that this is not a car that you buy for fuel efficiency !

Granted, I was getting 46.6mpg from the diesel KIA and admitted that I expect my fuel costs to double, but I thought I'd been taking it easy this week!

This was on 98RON.

Probably best if I stop keeping records :-)

That seems a little low - how much of your driving is around town? I'm getting ~27 for my commute, which is 30 miles of mixed dual carriage way and crawling around Hitchin & Luton. I do go up through the gears fairly quickly I suppose.

Hadn't even thought of speed bumps being an issue until I read your post! Been hoofing it a 20mph over the ones near me! Might put a stop to that, especially as I've got my eye on a Nismo body kit :lol:

Glad you're having fun with the Zed

Thanks all for replies, sorry not been on the forums for a few days and I don't get email notifications about updates on threads.

Well having done another week of commutes (plus two slightly longer trips) I'll soon be due my next refill and can calculate this week's mpg. I certainly know how to have spreadsheet fun on a Friday evening! :-)

In the meantime I bought a pet....er how do I upload a photo??! Hang on...

Interior light issue fixed by reading the manual :lol:

What I had perceived as them coming on only very dimly, is actually their permanent running state! I was fiddling with the "Door / Off" swtich, thinking that it was a 3-position switch with manual "on" being the central position. Didn't realise you just punch the light to turn it on. D'oh.

All good now.