Single day/short term insurance

Gus-350z

Okay so I'm going to go and look at/probably buy a Zed next Saturday, but unfortunately as I'll be stuck up in the North for a couple of months, and I plan to keep the car back at home during that time I think my best bet insurance wise is to just get single day insurance to drive it home before then returning back up North again.

However being an import model, all of the usual 'short term' insurance companies don't offer insurance for it. So I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas?

The way I see it, I have a few options:

• Trailer it home? Although probably about £100 (From Manchester to B'ham) and also makes paying the seller more difficult.
  • Get myself a full year insurance anyway (although it will feel strange paying for a years insurance then not driving it for a couple of months).
  • I could even get my father to drive it home as his insurance extends to driving other people's cars, however, only if the owner is fully comp (which I won't be).
  • I could see if I could keep the current owner as the current owner, and thus allowing my father's insurance to cover it just for the journey home (would there be any possible problems with this?)

So yeah, any ideas guys? Also, to the insurers on here, do any of you offer short term insurance like this? I've already got a really awesome quote from Adrian Flux, but for a full year, which I'm a bit apprehensive about getting just now.

Cheers in advance guys!

The use that the OP is after wouldn't be covered by trade plates, unless I'm missing the obvious. Even ignoring the fact he's not a trader ;)

I agree, from what I can tell I can't just simply borrow some trade plates to drive the car home, then post them back the next day (unfortunately).

The main question now is.. It's probably the more sensible option to just insure the car fully for myself and just bite the bullet for the couple of months of no-use. The only problem with this is that I really can only afford next saturday off work so ideally it would all be sorted in the one day. i.e. Look at the car, decide if it's the one, then sort out insurance and tax whilst I'm there, then get it home.

My only other option would be to go and have a look next saturday, if I like it leave a deposit, then arrange for a car transported to deliver it home, that way saves tax and insurance for the months where I'm not using it, but opens up the risk of it being damaged in the interim before I get home!

I know it seems like an odd scenario, but I'm working up in the north at the moment where I only rent a house (and have no space for a car realistically) so the car needs to go home (B'ham, where it can be kept for a couple of months before I get back) if that makes any sense/puts the post into context! :)

I had looked into it before when I nearly bought an English model, and I could happily get single-day insurance for the car so it could drive it home and stick it in the garage before heading off... However, no companies seem to offer short term insurance for imports :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

To get temporary cover before I have taken out a full policy that allows you to cancel within 14 days with only a small admin fee, I can't remember which company I used but it cost me a £25 admin fee for 2 weeks cover. A quick read of the T&C's and you should be able to work out what they will charge you.