Anyone have any experience with these cars? F10 M5 or E63 BiTurbo?

djtimo

Looking at cars for a daily at the moment and quite fancy one of these two, F10 M5 or e63 BiTubro. Has anyone owned one on here or knows of any common issues with ether car??

The old M5 put me off with gearbox issues... Hope the newer cars don't have any major problems.

Any input very welcome :)

Thanks.

Yeah I know it's a hood choice. The problem I have is my isf has been faultless and I still love it fancy and change and it's hard to top that car for me.

The m5 and e63 have more pace and possible similar fuel consumption so there just about the only options I can think of that tick all the boxes.

Spent a couple of hours in a an E63S around brooklands last year. Monster engine, monster torque, but monster electronics spoiling the fun. Great if you want a car that requires a PhD to operate, great bahnstormer though. Friend gave up on his F10 due to fuel consumption and the SMG (and got a C63 instead)! 13mpg apparently...

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

That not good to hear :( any more details??

Not sure on the exact details but basically he's had the car 18 months & he must have spent £6k on it twice it's been in the garage the last time it was there 3 weeks with most of the engine out its had 2 full sets of tyres and brake discs/pads and only yesterday the dash lit up like a Christmas tree so no doubt more costs I've drove it many times and tbh prefer the Z unless you turn the revs right down its a stuttering mess only in bone dry conditions can you enjoy it to its full potential I'd guess the M5 is similar

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Im fully qualified for this having spent quite some time in both and its F10 M5 for me all day long. Im not really a BMW person but what an impressive thing the m5 is. For me it does everything better and feels less hot rod than the E63, the amgs really should have a far better gearbox by now as the rest have moved on, the dct in the m5 is very impressive in auto and the paddles are lovely to use, the heads up is also a nice addition. The steering is vague I think in both, I prefer the tech in the m5 where you can configure your own driving modes etc. I find the amg feels more loud and aggressive most of the time where the M5 feels like a very comfortable well thought out saloon that's a nice place to be but then when you put your foot down is jaw dropping.

The e63 is louder and more obvious from the outside, I quite like the fact it can be driven round with only true petrolheads knowing most think it's a 520d (debadged,black and letting the exhausts get filthy).

It also feels a good chunk lighter than it actually is and turns eagerly.

Also having detailed both, the m5 seems far better engineered to me, with the engine shoved as far back as possible, the front of the engine is inline with the centre caps on the wheels, also the suspension and ducting from the bumpers, it feels far more than a base 5 series with a big engine.

Edited by ed@divinedetail
  • Like 4

I own an F10 M5 and echo pretty much everything said above. I really want to get it on track as there is no way you can use even half its ability on the road. AMGs have a real image problem to me which is why I went down this route, but both are great everyday cars. My car was a used 2012 with 9k miles showing, year's warranty, 2 year service pack and very good spec. I paid 41k. I can't think of a better car at any price.

• Like 1

Cripes, that's absolute peanuts, what a great buy!

They are getting cheaper quite quickly these days. Early cars (3/4 years old) with <50,000 on the clock are listed in autotrader starting from £33k, so I suspect if you push hard you can pick up a tidy example for not too much more. Given that's about 50% deprecation in 3 years the prices are about right.

I know if I was still in the market for petrol cars I would find those kind of prices hard to resist, regardless of running costs....and so much more practical/sensible than a 6 series ;)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1