Zed has gone to poop, BIG bills I fear

geg1992

Hi all,

I'm seriously worried about my poor Zed.

43K miles, 55 plate with Nismo body kit.

Recently, every time I try to go into 6th gear it seems to fail and just crunch/grind not letting me select it. Sometimes when I take it slowly it will be OK.

There's also quite a lot of noise when I take my foot off the clutch which I fear is the DMF as I had one fail with similar noises on my old diesel.

I'm only keeping this car until the end of next year so big bills is going to be a bit of a do I bother keeping the car situation.

I've always had £1000 set aside for things to go wrong, but I fear this will not cover the parts, as I read that I will most likely need a new gearbox. Although what would be the chepest option here? Could I just have the synchros "fixed" for a cheaper cost? Pointless replacing the whole unit if this is possible as I'll only have it for another 15k miles or so. What are the options with regards to refurb / used / new gearboxes? As couldn't a used gearbox just have the same issue? Can't believe I paid the extra money for a low mileage car for this to happen...

IS driving how it is going to cause even more damage and more bills? Or am I fine to try and get it into sixth and/or just driving using the first 5 gears? I just wonder if the grinding will cause damage to the whole unit, not just the synchros?

There's also a clunking coming from the back which scares me. I think I have a curse when it comes to cars haha!

I saw on ebay you can get LUK DMF and Exedy clutch for 310.00 + approx £250 labour I guess? So that's not a major blow, however, I worry about the gearbox and any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I saw on ebay you can get LUK DMF and Exedy clutch for 310.00 + approx £250 labour I guess? So that's not a major blow, however, I worry about the gearbox and any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Just a friendly heads up, as others on the forum and traders on here have found out, A LOT of DMF/Clutch combo's on eBay seem to be fakes.

As for the syncros, I'm not sure, My 2nd gear seems to be a bit strange about wanting to be used sometimes, but it doesn't grind, more just locks me out completely!! Well, I can get it in there, but I don't feel comfortable trying to push it into gear that hard. Just have to go back to neutral and try again, or just use 3rd ;)

Your problem I can't shed light on I'm afraid, but I'm 97% sure that someone here will be able to help :)

I believe a refurb is about £600.

A second hand box is about £350-800+

But you always roll the dice on a second hand box unless you can feel it working in a vehicle.

I bought a second hand box and got extremely lucky. That's all it is though, luck.

Edited by Juggalo

Hi all,

I'm seriously worried about my poor Zed.

43K miles, 55 plate with Nismo body kit.

Recently, every time I try to go into 6th gear it seems to fail and just crunch/grind not letting me select it. Sometimes when I take it slowly it will be OK.

There's also quite a lot of noise when I take my foot off the clutch which I fear is the DMF as I had one fail with similar noises on my old diesel.

I'm only keeping this car until the end of next year so big bills is going to be a bit of a do I bother keeping the car situation.

I've always had £1000 set aside for things to go wrong, but I fear this will not cover the parts, as I read that I will most likely need a new gearbox. Although what would be the chepest option here? Could I just have the synchros "fixed" for a cheaper cost? Pointless replacing the whole unit if this is possible as I'll only have it for another 15k miles or so. What are the options with regards to refurb / used / new gearboxes? As couldn't a used gearbox just have the same issue? Can't believe I paid the extra money for a low mileage car for this to happen...

IS driving how it is going to cause even more damage and more bills? Or am I fine to try and get it into sixth and/or just driving using the first 5 gears? I just wonder if the grinding will cause damage to the whole unit, not just the synchros?

There's also a clunking coming from the back which scares me. I think I have a curse when it comes to cars haha!

Many thanks.

firstly where are you located? theres a lot of zed people around the south east, who can help!

Edited by -Bradders-

If the gearbox is coming off for a swap/recon I would do the clutch too, false economy not too seeing as your already 2/3 rds of the job there. Personally I would do clutch and fly and 2nd hand box from a reputable trader on here.

Low mileage is absoultely no guarantee of condition, especially on wear and tear items like a clutch.

Hope you sort it within your budget :)

Just press the clutch in, move to neutral, release the clutch. Press clutch again, move to desired gear, release clutch and all your problems will be sorted. :thumbs:

What he said, although trying convincing a buyer that's all they need to do is another story.

Suck it up and get a new clutch and fly which will help with the resale anyway, and at least enjoy your Z for a while.

For the gearbox, try an oil change (ONLY use genuine nissan gearbox oil) and toss in some moly-slip. For the relatively low cost it can't hurt and may help a lot.

• Like 1