Mileage and going FI......

nowhereboy

Just thinking over ideas for next year and one of the options is to supercharge the Z. I know very little about FI and would be talking with a trader on here to arrange all the parts I need if I was to go ahead.

Anyway, the million dollar question. My Z currently has 79k on the clock. Would millage like that be a concern if planning FI, would the motor need rebuilt? I see tarmac do the basic kit for just under £4,000. I guess on top of that I'd need exhaust, uprev and some other bits and bobs.

All in what should I be expecting to spend to see 400bhp? I know it's a noobish question but we gotta start somewhere right ;)

I bought mine done, just installed at around 70k, it was the v3 kit, inline fuel pump, intercooler etc but no fuelling (injectors/fuel return) and no uprated maf, 418hp.

If your concerned it may be worth getting a compression check done, although it wont tell you the whole story it will give you an idea of top end condition.

Do you use any oil etc any other issues your aware of? If not as Ekona says your good to go imho :)

Dont forget you will need a decent clutch so that will add a fair few £

Edited by Jetpilot

It generally doesn't use any oil in between services and has no issues that I'm aware of, so that's good to know. Might be worth doing a compression check just for some sort of piece of mind.

As to who would be fitting the kit, I'm unsure yet, I know I'd save a considerable amount of £££ If it's a DIY job, while I've been getting quite handy with my DIY efforts recently I'm not sure I'd fancy tackling this unless I can get a friend with good knowledge to help. Could really use a ride out in someones Z who has went down this route, I'll have to get myself to some meet's next year!

Yes at the limit and Jez said he doesnt really encourage going much past that on std internals although i know a fair few do :)

I will upgrade over time and looking into getting my own fuel return system sorted as think the cost for some aeroquip hoses & fittings is just eye watering. The main reason i want to get the fuelling done is i dont like running the additional inline pump in case of failure it will run lean without me knowing.

P.s hope your ready for some waves tomorrow afternoon, 20ft in the channel ;)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Ok ill have a dig around later , as its in my loft ! Not sure really but jez had to make up some bespoke stuff due to the HR engine and stillen inlet mannifold getting in the way .

Anyway back on topic !

Go for it ...... But be warned , you will end up spending more money than you think you can do it for .

Just thinking over ideas for next year and one of the options is to supercharge the Z. I know very little about FI and would be talking with a trader on here to arrange all the parts I need if I was to go ahead.

Anyway, the million dollar question. My Z currently has 79k on the clock. Would millage like that be a concern if planning FI, would the motor need rebuilt? I see tarmac do the basic kit for just under £4,000. I guess on top of that I'd need exhaust, uprev and some other bits and bobs.

All in what should I be expecting to spend to see 400bhp? I know it's a noobish question but we gotta start somewhere right ;)

Mileage wise I wouldn't worry about it but yes it would be sensible as mentioned above to have a compression check done first.

I can't remember exactly but my DE Zed was around 88K-90K miles odd when I had it supercharged. Was still running the OEM clutch/flywheel as well fyi.

I'll PM you some useful info/prices now. :thumbs:

• Like 1

What's a supercharged z with stock brakes like ? Also is suspensions a must or would you be fine with stock ?

Absolutely fine for brakes, its the same car that doesnt really weigh any more so your still stopping the same mass. Granted given some track work you will be regularly stopping from higher speeds than a std 350 so some upgrades would be good to eliminate fade.

Because unless you only ever accelerate at the pace of an NA car, you end up needing to either brake from much a higher speed given the same length of road, or you're braking much more often as you're covering the ground quicker.

It does assume that the driver makes the most of the extra power available, but you'd be mad not to or have the patience of a saint! :D

350 brakes are perfectly capable of stopping the car (inc jdm brakes) from any speed. It only comes into effect with repeated heavy braking, which you dont come anywhere near to on the roads.

Capable, yes. But more power means you're capable of going much faster much more quickly, which means you need a better way of dissipating the heat you're generating.

Granted though, this does assume that you actually make use of the power. If you only cruise around posing in the car, then I concede that better brakes aren't needed. However, given that it's possible to overwhelm Brembos on an NA Zed on the road given the right conditions, then you can see why I'd suggest that brakes are a must-do upgrade if you're moving into bigger power and intend to use it.

On British roads a good set of pads and discs is plenty

The only place I've felt my brakes suffer was from 150 on the autobahn and let's face it how often dose that happen

I guess if doing a lot of track work brakes would also be an issue

Suspension is fine until you can afford or chose to upgrade

I have to agree with you all as you're all right imo (Jetpilot, Dan & Nic). :D

My FI Zed was running Goodridge s/s braided brake lines, Motul RBF600 brake fluid, Ferodo DS2500 pads & EBC Turbo groove discs ~ definitely an upgrade from the standard set up but not by much.

I found no problems stopping my Zed even when abused on track for several laps but without a doubt a BBK (Big Brake Kit) would have been beneficial. I did find myself pressing harder on the brake pedal though when spiritedly driving on the roads I know as Dan mentions I found myself approaching corners at a higher speed than before the car was FI.

In short it is not essential imo to have a BBK before going FI but it is definitely beneficial/sensible to upgrade the brakes as much as possible and ultimately increase your stopping abilities ~ that goes for any FI or N/A car though.

If I had kept my FI Zed then a BBK would have been a future purchase for sure as I love driving my cars fast, hard & safely. ;)