Mileage and going FI......

nowhereboy

For me i always found the brembos a little under powered , although I was on stock discs and yellow stuff pads ( which I found pretty poor) for me the akebono 370z set up performs much better with better bite and greater stopping power .... This is of course all just my feeling/ opinion . Also I love the look of the bigger set up and what cost me around £800 to upgrade its a great why of getting a bbk .

But I do agree with all of the above .... Upgraded discs pads lines and fluid would be ample for road use . Also the stick suspension ,diff would also cope . But for me if you want to get the best out of your supercharged or even n/a zed then I think upgrading bits and bobs is well worth it !

Plus most of suffer from zeditus on here :)

Tbf if your changing discs/pads etc it will probably cost you the same if not less to buy upgraded than oem, so absolutely no reason not to, it will offer better feel, less fade etc but it really isnt going to stop you much quicker, as Ekona says in another thread, tyres will play more of a part than brakes to stopping distances.

• Like 1

If you add more go you should always add more whoa - Uprated brakes are a must imo

I think on any FI build the engine should get a compression and leakdown check before any work is started and money spent

If you add more go you should always add more whoa - Uprated brakes are a must imo

I think on any FI build the engine should get a compression and leakdown check before any work is started and money spent

Neither of those are necessary in my opinion, I had a s/c Zed (now belongs to another member on here) that had stock brakes on it with stock discs and ds2500 pads. More than enough stopping power on the road and only faded towards the back end of the 'ring (probably more to do with my driving style (or lack of (nested brackets, baby))).

Also, no testing of any form on my engine. I did 8-10k on it no problem what so ever, I drove it pretty hard all the time as I mainly took it out for leisure and as far as I know it still doesn't use oil to this day as I talk to the new owner a bit. No blue smoke, no odd rattles, plenty of power, perfect! :D

You should be able to get, if you've owned the car for a while, a good feel for your car and its maintenance. If you've just bought a car to go FI then I agree some testing may need to be done for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Maybe you were lucky, you really think spending £100 getting a health check done on the engine would not make sense before spending £4k ?DS2500 pads are a good upgrade but i felt the stock brembos were very much wanting and pads lines and fluid would be the minimum i would consider if it were my safety

Maybe you were lucky, you really think spending £100 getting a health check done on the engine would not make sense before spending £4k ?DS2500 pads are a good upgrade but i felt the stock brembos were very much wanting and pads lines and fluid would be the minimum i would consider if it were my safety

No, did you do one before you spent £xxxx on buying a car? Surely that's more of a concern than when you start modifying it?

I only did pads I had stock fluid, stock lines, stock discs etc... My car stopped okay and never felt unsafe. Sure, I will admit I wanted to upgrade them as I wanted more stopping power on the 'ring but that was so I could drive faster/harder on a track that's hundreds of miles away. Not so I could stop faster coming off a slip road on the M25. :lol:

Thing is, with FI is that you're not going that much faster on roads anyway. Stopping from 80/90/100/1000mph is the same no matter what you've done with your engine.

I don't recall many 350z FI builds getting any sort of tests done before they started modding, sure a few might of but then a few people on the planet also attend Nazi sex parties. What'cha gonna do.

No, did you do one before you spent £xxxx on buying a car? Surely that's more of a concern than when you start modifying it?

Yes I have done them on prospective purchases on modified engines, but no not on my 370z as it was under warranty, I have done one since though, it seems very sensible to me to spend £100 just checking the health on an engine you are 1) going put under a lot more stress and 2) About to commit a sizeable chunk or money on rather than just waiting to find out the hard way , guess thats experience speaking

I found the stock brembos on the 350z wanting as I did on the much lighter Evo , I find the stock 370z brakes wanting as well, ok for one or two fast stops but performance drops off quickly

Its not just the one off stop from 70mph its that a car with more power builds more speed more quickly and if you start to exploit that performance on the road you will put the brakes under a lot more stress of course if you dont use the performance you dont need the brakes improved

Edited by Richf

Yes I have done them on prospective purchases on modified engines, but no not on my 370z as it was under warranty, I have done one since though, it seems very sensible to me to spend £100 just checking the health on an engine you are 1) going put under a lot more stress and 2) About to commit a sizeable chunk or money on rather than just waiting to find out the hard way , guess thats experience speaking

I found the stock brembos on the 350z wanting as I did on the much lighter Evo , I find the stock 370z brakes wanting as well, ok for one or two fast stops but performance drops off quickly

Its not just the one off stop from 70mph its that a car with more power builds more speed more quickly and if you start to exploit that performance on the road you will put the brakes under a lot more stress of course if you dont use the performance you dont need the brakes improved

That literally makes no sense unless you live your life a quarter of a mile at a time in which case, yeah, brakes.

That literally makes no sense unless you live your life a quarter of a mile at a time in which case, yeah, brakes.

You dont need good brakes to run 1/4 miles ;)

Not had it on long but a few times I have had a test you can feel it pull the car around the corner .

Traction feels very strong now even with 310 bhp

Think it is the best thing I have done to the car .

Alan

I have done things the other way round 8 pot bbk quaife diff coilovers and will look in to a s/c this year .

Alan

How did you feel the quaife changed things

I'm looking into it want to be sure I'll notice the difference

• Like 1

Not had it on long but a few times I have had a test you can feel it pull the car around the corner .

Traction feels very strong now even with 310 bhp

Think it is the best thing I have done to the car .

Alan

I have done things the other way round 8 pot bbk quaife diff coilovers and will look in to a s/c this year .

Alan

How did you feel the quaife changed things

I'm looking into it want to be sure I'll notice the difference

I've heard this before, in the US diff upgrades are much more popular even on fairly stock cars, I know there are many more base model 370's that come with a open diff but even the lsd owners say it makes a significant improvement. Its something I am doing next month, I find when the car does break loose it does in an inconsistent way spinning the right hand rear wheel first and then snapping straight as the diff starts to work, if it did the same everytime it would be as bad but its variable , I assume a lot has to do with the temperature ie viscosity of the oil in the diff .