Any one been to the ring?

gangzoom

Just after a little advice...am planning on taking the Z to the ring some time in the next few months (along with a few mates in S2000s :p )

1: Which route to take? eg: hop over the channel than through France or get an overnight ferry which will land us much closer :headhurt:

2: Do I need to prep the Z at all, it'll be due a major service after the trip...currently still plenty of tread on the tyres, and not used any oil in the last 6months.

3: What happens if get caught speeding?? Keep on reading horror stories about the French police just waiting to sting people like me :scare:

4: Any idea how much it'll cost? This is my first trip abroad in the Z so am planning to keep it short and cheerful :)

Sounds good fun mate, can I tag ;)

1: Depends how much driving you want to do, the ferry is cheaper.

3: Blast some false uk plates on and nail it!! I've driven in France before but never been pulled, think they are pretty chilled out thou.

If you're driving through France, make sure you carry some Euros with you. I got stopped for speeding in France last summer and the policeman told me I needed to pay an on the spot fine of €90. I didn't have enough cash on me (it was my drive home) and he wasn't impressed when I offered him Visa. He kept hold of my driving license and pointed me in the direction of the nearest ATM.

When I returned with the money, he issued me the ticket and returned my driving license. I did think about going home and claiming that I lost it but chickened out in the end.

In one way, its good to know that Policemen are c*nts everywhere and its not just the UK ones. :rant:

If you're driving through France, make sure you carry some Euros with you. I got stopped for speeding in France last summer and the policeman told me I needed to pay an on the spot fine of €90. I didn't have enough cash on me (it was my drive home) and he wasn't impressed when I offered him Visa. He kept hold of my driving license and pointed me in the direction of the nearest ATM.

When I returned with the money, he issued me the ticket and returned my driving license. I did think about going home and claiming that I lost it but chickened out in the end.

In one way, its good to know that Policemen are c*nts everywhere and its not just the UK ones. :rant:

This is good advice. The on-the-spot fines vary as well depending upon the speed you're caught doing. I got done a few years ago for doing 140 and was fined 140 Euros.

I go every year in May, it's awesome. The best bit is just being there watching all the other cars and mixing with fellow minded petty heads. I drive like miss daisy on the track and consider getting home in one piece the #1 priority.

We always stay about half an hour away (brilliant drive!) in a place called Bad Munstereiffel - lovely little town and we have lots of good natured fun there.

We chunnel it, it's a piece of **** and only expensive for the pikeys (another reason to use it) :lol:

The Ring? In Brum? :lol:

Went to France in the ditchfinder last year and used Speedferries - cheap as chips - doddle to use about 40 mins sailing - Dover to Boulogne.

http://www.speedferries.co.uk/

Unfortunately the return trip was cancelled so we ended up the road to Calais and got on a normal ferry (Whoa Rip off city!) anyway Speedferries refunded the whole amount - so worked out ok in the end. :)

Never mind the cops just watch out for the French drivers, they dont appear to know what those yellow flashing things on the edge of your car are for?

:headhurt: !

Good luck and enjoy.....

Stan

I've been twice (61 laps now).

The Z is a very forgiving car designed to be driven hard, so check your oil and tyres and go for it.

I chunneld and drove (in convoy). Allowed 10 hours from Oxford to Nurburg including Shuttle wait times. Format was drive out day one, day two and three drive the Nordschleiffe, day four drive home (in time for afternoon tea!).

If you'd like any more details, PM me.......

I`ve been a lot (did 180laps in 2007). It was in my MK2 Golf, but it doesnt matter what you drive, the whole experience is amazing.

As mentioned above, look on http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ , I`m a moderator on both forums, but there is more general chatting and info on Northloop IMO.

Best advice I can offer is DONT time yourself, at least for 5 laps, you are under enough pressure as it is for the first laps, its not about how fast you go, although everyone will ask you if you beat 10minutes when you get home...

Next best advice I can offer is to get some passenger laps with experience ringers, it gives you a totally different perspective on the place.

Cheapest ferries are Norfolkline, P&O or seafrance are more. Its then a 4hour (ish) drive to the ring. There are loads of places to stay nearby, I can offer you some suggestions if you are interested.

Nige.

1: Which route to take? eg: hop over the channel than through France or get an overnight ferry which will land us much closer :headhurt:

2 birds and one stone here. If you take the Dover - Dunkirk ferry you'll find it to be cheaper, plus, it lands you nearer the Ring, AND it means you'll bypass the toll-roads, making it difficult to get caught speeding... :)

2 birds and one stone here. If you take the Dover - Dunkirk ferry you'll find it to be cheaper, plus, it lands you nearer the Ring, AND it means you'll bypass the toll-roads, making it difficult to get caught speeding... :)

I like it :D

I have used Dover > Calais and Dover > Dunkerque a lot and this year, i`m just using the Tunnel or Dover > Calais. The norfolkline crossing, though cheap has become more hassle than its worth to me. It may not be so bad with just one trip, but I find the unloading particularly annoying.

When I arrive early, i dont expect to be one of the last off the ferry which happened several times last year, the single carriageway road to the motorway is also a pain if you get behind someone slow.

Going via calais is more expensive, but every single time I do, i get off the ferry quickly and am passing the Dunkerque turning sooner than if I had taken the Dunkerque ferry and driven to the motorway.

I stay at a travelodge (canterbury Dunkerque) the night before. I can drive down, stay there, then its a 30 minute drive to the ferry ready for the 7am or 8am crossing next morning. If I book ahead, I can get a family room for all 4 of us for £29, bargain :)

The Zed hasnt been over yet. I have a MK2 Golf track car I leave out there and we go back and forth in my Mazda 6.

I am trying to work out how to get over in the Zed for at least a few laps the year, but the kids dont like the idea of being left at home and missing a trip :D