Brake judder and tyre rubbing on track day

AdrianL

Hi all,

Couple of queries after a recent track day! When the brakes have heated up, they tend to judder as my laps go on. If I let the car cool down then return to the track they're OK again... any ideas?

Second one is on some corners there was a distinct rubbing noise. The only thing I can spot is in the center of the front tyres there's a line which looks like the tyre is possibly touching the bolt that hangs down from the arm that is just above the wheel. Could it be this or a red herring? If it is this then what is a work around?

On original suspension but 19" wheels...

Cheers,

Adrian

Pads and or rotors for your brake issue.

Should be quite easy to trace and diagnose the rubbing issue.

How much clearance between the tyre and this "bolt"

What are the dimensions of the tyres that you are running ?

You say standard suspension, looks lowered to me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply!

What will the issue be? Can they be repaired?

Pretty certain it's standard, I think its just the angle of the pictures plus the size of the wheels ������

Remove the pads and inspect.

Check run out of all 4 rotors on inside and outside with a dial gauge and also check for pad imprint.

As said, your suspension looks lowered to me.

Providing you have the correct 19" tyre sizes then the rolling circumference will be similar to 18" so the gap at the top with be the same whether 18" or 19".

Thanks guys I'll look in to that. Don't think it's the brake fluid boiling as it's fairly new motul fluid, and I've had fluid boil before which isn't a pleasant experience!

Will look at getting a dial for the discs.

Thanks again!

Is it sad that I can recognise that track from the sheds in the first pic alone? :blush:

:wub: Anglesey

And is there another UK track with the sea a stone's throw away.......?

Dunno, but you can't see the sea in the first pic :p

In the third pic down (go on Dan exercise your scrolling wheel ;) ) it almost looks as the two cars are going over cliff into the sea :scare::lol:

As in my previous post, just get the pads out and visually check both sides of the rotors and then get a dial gauge on.

Hopefully all you will require is a set of pads.

No point in discussing this further until you do the above.

• 2 weeks later...

So, front disc is out by: 0.062mm which I believe is out of range? So sounds like it's a "warped disc". Looking at getting them skimmed - sound sensible?

Here's the bolt I was talking about. Apologies for the dirty tyres - I've cleaned the section where the bolt appears to be rubbing:

wUoERwa.jpg

R10K6oy.jpg

If they've warped on track once, and then you take off more mass, aren't they just even more likely to warp a second time? Wouldn't it be better to just get better disks?

Also, I've not stuck my head in my Zed for quite a while, but I think that bolt you're referring to is un-sprung, so the distance between bolt and tyre will never change.

You have answered your own question about the disc issue and and I agree with Commander about replacements ^^^

As for the rubbing, those 'tram lines' disappear under the tyre crud you have left which suggests to me they are something you have picked up on the road surface somewhere, beside which they are well clear of the bolt (seeing your test pic) that you think might be responsible.

But have you checked nothing is caught between the rear of the disc and the brake shield, like a stone or twig - that has often been responsible for rubbing noises ;) You should know by spinning the wheels when the car is jacked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses everyone, been quite busy lately!

You have answered your own question about the disc issue and and I agree with Commander about replacements ^^^

As for the rubbing, those 'tram lines' disappear under the tyre crud you have left which suggests to me they are something you have picked up on the road surface somewhere, beside which they are well clear of the bolt (seeing your test pic) that you think might be responsible.

But have you checked nothing is caught between the rear of the disc and the brake shield, like a stone or twig - that has often been responsible for rubbing noises ;) You should know by spinning the wheels when the car is jacked up.

They are decent discs with hardly any wear. Think I'd rather get them skimmed if that's the issue. (I can actually see pad deposits on the discs!) :)

The rubbing doesn't happen on the road, it's only at the track. I think I noticed once when coming off a roundabout quick, but otherwise you can't hear it. It's definitely not anything between the disc and shield, it sounds and feels like the tyre rubbing on something when going round some corners at the track. The lines on the tyres are exactly the same on both sides so I don't think it's something from the road as they are too uniform.

Any other thoughts? :)

Cheers,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianL