Number Plates

Wendy

Hi All,

My VW Corrado is finally painted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is not on the road or anywhere near complete, I saw her yesterday, body painted before any of the finishing bodywork refit, touch ups etc etc - and she is looking really good. Orange peel seems about right although I have not been over her with a fine toothcombe - she was still in 'work in progress'. I am very pleased so far. In the right light the purply tinge comes through as it used to when I first got her - some 14 years ago, that brought a pretty good smile to my face. The colour is a Aqua Blue - easily mixed with Midnight Blue in the VW range. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished result and getting her back.

Yes, I know - photo's - one day I will get round to photo's !! I have had loads taken by the bodyshop as I also will be going for agreed valuation. She's on 207k, I am aiming for 300k before she needs a replacement engine. I stand a fair chance too - I serioulsy look after her, including giving her a good drive !! :lol: :lol: :lol:. She has never used oil and still doesn't, I do and have for 14 years given her 6k oil changes and always ensure of 80degrees as a minimum oil temeperature before 'a drive'. :)

Anyway - Number Plates.

The Bodyshop are suggesting new number plates always add hugely to the overal appearance.

I have a tendancy to agree - so wondered what the general view was on styling or not on number plates.

I personally would just wander off and get some new new very ordinary plates and wonder if I could be missing an opportunity for something a bit different. Perhaps some photo's or links if you don't mind. (Sorry but I hate bling on my cars, - I do quite like some on others though :lol: , something quite stylish/different is more my thing !!)

Oh and what about the Euro flag - yes/no/ is it an option even ?

Thanks in advance.

Being as it's a VW I'd say German style plates would look very cool...

IMG_2830.jpg

But in all honesty I have no idea if they are legal or not?

They would definitely have to be reflective though I believe so I'm guessing pressed metal would be off the cards unless it had some reflective film on it?!

I'd definitely do some research though before you part with any cash for the new plates as it would be a shame to get caught out by the law. ;)

DAve - I do only have two cars !!!! ;)

While the Corrado is in the Bodyshop I can hardly be working on the 350 - unless of course you wish to loan me your 370 !!

I would look after it, drive it properly etc !! :lol:

Anyway, I did get the scruff on the lower rear ns wing - where the wall at the end of my drive decided to launch a foot forward at 6am a few weeks back !! Was not impressed !. Just now to get the bonnet resprayed - due to the lacquer peel.

Then a massive clean.

Talking of Scotland .........onto another thread.

Guess I asked for that !!!

Anyway, it was the walls fault. !! :lol:

Last bump was about 12 years ago - in the Corrado about the same amount of time of ownership - one of those dammed posts that cannot be seen when reversing in. Amazing how a £120 repair for a tiny mark wakes up your senses for the actual size of your car. !! :blush:

If in doubt always blame a defenseless inanimate object that cannot even stand up for itself. Hope the wall is okay !

Regards the Scotland trip, I must look out your email and part with some money (not that I have much of that at the moment - never a good idea to buy my son a mini, me a 370Z and buy a flat all at the same time !)

Number plates look rubbish, end of. No-one has ever done anything to a plate ever which made everyone turn around and go "Ooh, that number plate looks amazing, what a brilliant idea!". All doing anything different does is draw your eyes to the fact the number plate exists, and looks crap.

As such, stick a cheapy 100% legal set on there and be done with it. Make people notice the car, not the plate.

• Like 5