Any PC sim racers here? iRacing etc

mattross1313

The other half was kind enough to grant me a man-cave in our new house, so I got a little carried away building a racing rig. This is for PC gaming so have Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and iRacing at the moment. Mostly Thrustmaster Hardware ATM, along with a Recaro fishnet bucket seat and a custom built frame.

Just wondered if anyone else on here spends their evenings sim racing? Be good to know a few more folks out there to join races with.

This was the rig a while ago, have a little more equipment now and upgraded some parts. Currently designing a centre console for the shifter and button box from DSD.

C21FBC0C-7D37-46E5-BB3C-A5A478BBC54E.jpg

921D93FA-7D65-4316-9AE8-4C9E2B2048B9.jpg

• Like 4

i used to have an Xbox one Eill but got lured in by triple screens!!

Ive bought a thrustmaster tx a few months ago. I want to get into iRacing etc but havent had the time yet.

You should give iRacing a try if you get time, it really is the next level up from the other games. If you do decide to join let me know - I think you sign up and give my details we both get a perk? Maybe.

please tidy those cables :scare: :scare: :scare:

cool set up otherwise :)

Ah dude tell me about it!! The cables are driving my OCD crazy! Going to get a cable box and some trunking to route it all through.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favour and bin that cheap plastic 458 wheel and get the proper metal Ferrari Challenge wheel. Transforms the steering feel by a mile, best thing I ever did on mine.

Oh indeed!! One of my first purchased mate :)

I also picked up the TH8A shifter which also really adds to the immersion. Next up is a console to lower the shifter and add a button box.

Also had a quick shuffle around of the monitors this week, lowered them a bit more behind the wheel. Gives a better view I think

35D1813F-0B6E-41FE-8EE3-EF292C08AB8C_2.jpg

how realistic and decent is iracing compared to lets say project cars for GT.

I've got a playseat and g27 which just sits there.

You pay £x p'm (depending on the deal) then get access to a handful of cars and tracks for 'free'. But then any additional content you must pay for. I am currently still using all the free content whilst I practice and ATM racing in the Mazda Cup.

Graphics wise - I would say Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are FAR superior. Mainly as they are far newer build engines. But in terms of the feel of the car, force feedback, physics, etc etc, iRacing is top of the list. Plus, once you really get into a race the graphics aren't that important as you concentrating on the track etc.

Big sim racing fan here. Been doing it since the early 80's and won a few online leagues etc. Even raced against Montoya online at one point :) Started out with Revs on the BBC B (even had a wheel back then) and then moved on to Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix games. Things changed big time when GPL came out and spent many years racing for UKGPL. Then on to Rfactor 1, NASCAR 2003, GTR2, GP Legends. Now a days mostly AC, Dirt Rally, RF2, PCars and IRacing.

AC reminds me very much the feeling I got when GPL came out. Very detailed physics and great how every car is feels different rather than having a generic physics engine covering every car. It has a nice choice of cars and I usually spend my time driving the Nissan GTR and Lotus Exige 240. I was also beta tester for the MX5 mod.

RF2 for me is really hit and miss. Certain content is totally brilliant whereas others is poor. I love the historics but I mostly drive the 370z or Honda Civic BTCC around Sebring and Silverstone. Looking forward to the big rain update patch.

PCars is brilliant as a racing experience but for me lacks the detail of the physics. Plus the car choice is so limited unless you like Audi, BMW or Merc :) I've been badgering SMS to give us Nissan but not holding out much hope. Lambo's coming though :)

IRacing I hardly touch unless I'm practising for a track days. It's perfect for that but I'm not a big fan of the whole online thing only and no AI. It's also expensive, lacks the cars I like and does not do anything better than AC for me. I will still get the UK tracks when they come out as training tools.

Dirt Rally is where a lot of my time is at the moment. I just totally love it. Driving the Scooby or Pug 306 is mind blowing. With each update, it just gets better and better. So can't wait for the Sweden add on.

I'm a bit sad also as I tend to keep all the replays of my online league races and the stats and results for all my league races. I had to buy a separate external hard drive to store them on on lol

I've only just put two and two together, and figured out you're the same Linus27 from SELOC! :blush::lol:

Having just picked PCars for the PC up as well, I don't suppose you've any recommendations as to where to download decent steering wheel calibration settings + car setups from by any chance? I'm using a Thrustmaster TX wheel.

I've only just put two and two together, and figured out you're the same Linus27 from SELOC! :blush::lol:

Having just picked PCars for the PC up as well, I don't suppose you've any recommendations as to where to download decent steering wheel calibration settings + car setups from by any chance? I'm using a Thrustmaster TX wheel.

HAHAHA oh wow :) that's about the third person from SELOC I have met on here. Plus some Honda people I know also :) Good to see you and never knew you had a Zed. Just remembered, I was looking at your avatar on SELOC in the Mini Cooper S thread thinking, that's an interesting looking car :)

I think the best place is the official forum. Due to the issues early on with the FF and controller settings, there's lots and lots of info and advice from other users. Just had a quick look and found this thread but there will be many others.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27338-Help-to-set-up-your-new-Thrustmaster-TX-(V50)&highlight=Thrustmaster

Setups also, the best place is probably the official forum. To be honest, I don't do much to the cars apart from slow the steering rack down, add a bit of toe to kill the understeer, and maybe soften the bump and rebound if RWD. Getting your wheel setup is probably more important.

I might have to start the time trials up again. They were great fun so you would be more than welcome. Hopefully someone can be danwebster although he is a real racing driver :)

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Just taken delivery of my new 599xx rim for the Thrustmaster TX.

My GTE rim is now for sale which should fit onto a lot of other Thrustmaster bases. Looking for £55 to your door if anyone on here is interested in an upgrade :)

I would have been very interested had I not invested in the 599 rim myself a couple of weeks ago. I also ordered the t3pa pro pedals but I was sent the standard t3pa and I'm still waiting for them to send me the right ones.