GT4 cracked wheel

DarmoZ

Noticed this today on the front Left. so annoyed!

I'm guessing this is unsafe to drive now?

If so I'm looking to buy a new single GT4 front wheel, then I need a place that can hydro-dip them to match the others.

https://vimeo.com/145798588

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DarmoZ

That's not good and I know those alloys aren't cheapy ones either. Did you hit a curb or something?

Have to say though when you filmed behind the spoke it almost looked like a piece of weld had been put on the back of the spoke and ground back a little, :dry: ...as in it looks like someone has tried repairing it before. Could be wrong. :shrug:

Did you have those alloys dipped yourself or were they a secondhand buy like that?

Hydro dipping an alloy to match shouldn't be a problem for a competent dipping firm as long as they get the same film graphics sheet. Just try Googling hydro dipping firms in your local area. Good luck with it. :thumbs:

Very common for gt4 wheels to crack if they are put through a treatment. Countless threads on Facebook 350z pages of damaged wheels that have been powder coated as the heat cycle does something to them. Not sure if hydro has the same effect but gt4 wheels are seriously weakened when heated.

Bought second hand, came hydro dipped already. I thought the same thing when I saw it on the camera, that it looks like a previous weld job, just to be sure I put my camera round each spoke of the other wheels to see and had a feel, they don't have weld on the inside like this one, little annoying, should of noticed it at time of purchase.

Very common for gt4 wheels to crack if they are put through a treatment. Countless threads on Facebook 350z pages of damaged wheels that have been powder coated as the heat cycle does something to them. Not sure if hydro has the same effect but gt4 wheels are seriously weakened when heated.

I don't think hydro-dip puts a wheel through heat or anything

Bought second hand, came hydro dipped already. I thought the same thing when I saw it on the camera, that it looks like a previous weld job, just to be sure I put my camera round each spoke of the other wheels to see and had a feel, they don't have weld on the inside like this one, little annoying, should of noticed it at time of purchase.

Wouldn't blame yourself as obviously someone tried to hide it (whether that was the seller though or a previous owner again who knows).

Highly recommend you give zmanalex (Alex) above a PM to see what price he can do you for a good used condition or brand new GT4 alloy wheel. :thumbs:

I have pre owned and brand new GT4 wheels in stock at the moment. :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)

Life Saver! Will PM you now.

Gonna send a pic of the wheel to a few hydro-dip shops tomorrow to see if they have the design.

I don't think hydro-dip puts a wheel through heat or anything

Hydro dipping itself doesn't, ...unless it was put in an oven or in front of a heater during the painting process (primer, base coat or lacquer).

Highly unlikely though that even if it had that it would have caused any damage to the alloy imho.

What's even more annoying is the set came with a spare, so figured I could just refurbish and hydro it, But I just checked it in the garage, it's a rear 8.5 width :(

Edited by DarmoZ

Definitely looks like that wheel has been damaged and what looks to me like what is a potentially dangerous 'repair' that makes me suspect the dipping was done to disguise the bodge......l

Yep I have thought this myself, oh well what can ya do, good lesson to check properly when you buy second hand wheels I guess.

That wheels been repaired previously, try contacting Ricey on here to see if he can match the finish.

Hi, do you have Riceys contact details, is he based in South East?

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/220-revolve-automotive-ltd/

;)

Thanks for all the help :)