EBC Yellow brake pads wore out in a day - is this normal?

RJM

Hi all,

Is this normal? I took my 370Z for its first track day a couple of weeks ago. I prepped the brakes for the track by putting EBC Yellows all round (on standard discs), HEL brake lines and Motul 600 fluid. All bedded in over a few weeks of road driving. However, after a single track day the pads were completely worn out down to the backing material and now the discs are scored. I was doing 10-minute sessions (limited by oil temp - that's a job for another day) with a bit of cool-down at the end of each session. I was pressing on and braking pretty hard (it was a track after all) but I had expected the pads to last longer.

If this is normal then I'm going to have to re-think doing more track days because of the cost.

One other thing - I wasn't desperately impressed with the braking. It did the job and there wasn't much fade (some towards the end of the day - end-of-life pads I expect) but I would have preferred more braking power.

I now need to decide what to do about the brakes. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Ferrodo DS2500 or DS3000 pads - are these better-lasting / better-performing / less dust than EBC Yellow? I have read good comments about performance and dust. Don't know how they last.

2. Carbotech pads - I've heard very good things about their performance. Still dusty but not so nasty dust. Also that they are noisy. How well do they last?

3. Grooved/drilled discs for better braking performance - will this make a noticeable difference? Will they chew up the pads even faster? Is EBC worth paying twice the cost of MTEC?

4. Install a big brake kit. Since I have to change the discs and pads anyway, then now is the time to do it if I'm going to. Although it's a costly option. Is this the only way to get decent braking performance? Or will grooved/drilled disks and better pads be enough?

5. Install standard pads for normal use then swap to race pads just for track days. I am capable of doing this myself but would only want the bother if it's an easy job on the 370Z - although I've read that it is. This would allow me to go for better-performing pads but doesn't solve the cost problem if they are going to wear out in a day.

Final thing to note is that the 370Z is now a second car rather than the main driver (due to a combination of second child and change of job to working from home). I also plan to keep it long term.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Carbotech is the way to go.

However, select your compound with care and marry up to a non to aggressive rotor and you will be fine.

I run Carbotech on my track R35, 10 on rear and 12 on front.

An 8 would be my starting point with a stock 370.

Something badly wrong there, even pattern pads should do a track day and be drivable on afterwards.

Buy something better, I found Carbon Lorraine RC5+ to be incredibly good, Ive got Pagid RS29 on another car at the moment and as Alex says the Stoptech's are bloody good too, although Ive not used them myself. If youre doing track work it pays to get the good stuff, it might be more expensive but it last a lot longer and performs massively better :)

The yellowstuff compound has changed in the last year.

I was using these in my Mazda racecar but found them short in performance and longevity, switched to Carbotechs x8.

The Carbotechs have now done 4 race weekends 4 test days and 3 trackdays and I checked them last week and still 5 mm of pad remaining. Don't get any squeal on track.

There is dust but not excessive in my opinion.

The brake initial bite and feel is excellent only need about 50% of the pressure on the pedal compared to the yellows.

They cost £300 all round on the Mazda but without doubt they last considerably longer than 3 sets of yellows and are far superior in performance.

I have recently helped one of my customers with brake judder generated on track in there Audi TTRS, they have now fitted Carbotechs x8 and they tell me the braking is transformed.

• Like 1

Good input - thanks all.

So will Carbotechs give me enough stopping power? No need to go for bigger brakes all round? With the EBC Yellows I was having to work the brake quite hard to get to the limit. And same question for Carbon Lorraine RC5+ / Pagid RS29 / Stoptech.

@Alex - by "non-agressive rotor", do you mean don't go for drilled/grooved discs - just plain standard disks?

Are Carbotechs ok for daily driving or would you recommend putting the standard pads back on for daily use - and is this simple on the 370Z (special tools needed)?

Thanks

Bigger brakes will not necessarily give you more stopping power, but they are much better in dispersing heat to allow for continued abuse on track.

I have never had issue with uprated pads and discs on a 350.

Same track day once a friend in a 350, slightly slower times than me, boiled his brakes, same set up.

You will be fine with the Carbotech XP8.

I would run them with the OEM rotors and see how you go.

Your XP8s with oem rotors will solve your current issue.

However braided lines and proper fluid will help with other potential issues.

Perhaps upgrade your rotors at a later date if you become a track day warrior.

No special tools required and ok for daily use,

Read the compound chart on the previous link that I put up.

Alex. :)

OK thanks for the advice.

I've already installed braided hoses and have been using Motul 600 fluid. I will need to do something about my current discs as there is some scoring all round. The rears are nearly new, although the fronts are a bit older. How big an issue is scored discs? Is skimming the discs worth considering?

Alternatively, for new discs, MTEC discs are the same price as OEM (http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09.html), which would be grooved, dimpled or drilled. Is there any reason not to go for these over OEM?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

OK thanks for the advice.

I've already installed braided hoses and have been using Motul 600 fluid. I will need to do something about my current discs as there is some scoring all round. The rears are nearly new, although the fronts are a bit older. How big an issue is scored discs? Is skimming the discs worth considering?

Alternatively, for new discs, MTEC discs are the same price as OEM (http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09.html), which would be grooved, dimpled or drilled. Is there any reason not to go for these over OEM?

Thanks

If you are anywhere near Marcus - Disc Skimmers - click on his signature above, he will sort out your discs.

Did a supurb job on my 370 discs after sub-standard spacers warped them, and many good feedbacks from members on here about his services.

• 3 months later...

Update:

I got Carbotech pads as recommended. Also new (plain) front discs from Brakeparts.co.uk for under £100 for the pair (suggested by Carbotech), and skimmed the rears at Old Mill Motors in Witney, who also fitted the pads and discs - good job and good price. I've been running the Carbotech pads on the road and so far they are great - lots of stopping power with very little brake pressure required. A hint of warming-up is required but not a problem. And occasional slight squealing - again, expected and not a problem. I am impressed so far. The full test will come with the next track day.

Richard