The Caravan Catcher v3.0 (370z) - MY17 Nismo!

mattross1313

Some videos are needed of that new exhaust!

Will try and get some soon - I keep setting of the Evo's car alarm when I leave for work :lol:

Quick update from the weekends activity:

Finally got around to removing the rear arches, been meaning to sort that for ages now. Looks so much cleaner!!

C0767DE9-9FA2-4BB1-8066-E1B088D3A254.jpg

016D6B1F-D9C8-403A-9E07-F5E6DB6B28E6.jpg

C73F941E-A437-420D-B422-87D9FC7692D2.jpg

Next up was to remove the rear badges. The sticky stuff left over once you remove the badge is awful! But got there in the end. This was done in ready-ness for the gloss black centre badges & door handles :)

4D81F007-35E7-42C9-8C3A-CBDB9D75A4F9.jpg

And finally I found a hidden mod Sunday morning (pic below). The joyous Shipping spacers that the PDI "technician" decided to leave on the car for me. Was said previously in the thread I was lucky enough to have access to the car prior to PDI so I could have it PPF'd and tinted......so I got to see the car right off the transporter complete with all the packing and wrap from the factory. I part of this was a very large warning stuck in the inside of the windscreen telling the dealership to remove the shipping spacers. My technician, and many others it would seem, cannot read.

From a quick look I only have one per side, others have had 2 even 3. So either my guy only removed a few off my car, or didn't remove any and the others have simply snapped off during driving. I am not amused by this but from a quick search it shouldn't have had any bad effects to the cars alignment or geo. So I'll just whip them off and forgot about it. I will however tell the other 2 guys that bought Nismo's from the same dealership as me, at the same time. They will no doubt also have them.

A42FA1A3-B9B6-4923-A612-7096A422819D.jpg

not sure what you're referring to ........... is it the rusty looking coily bits behind the springs ....... if so, how do you go about removing those ???

it's the black block next to the green part. it's attached to 3 "coils"

• Like 1

not sure what you're referring to ........... is it the rusty looking coily bits behind the springs ....... if so, how do you go about removing those ???

That's just the dust boot isn't it to stop crap getting onto the shock? need to keep them :lol:

I'm going to get the car booked in at Nissan and get these stupid blocks removed, i CBA to jack the car up and faff about removing them. They can do that.

Will wait to hear back from WINK on how the inspection goes too. Mine should be fine as its not even done 5k yet. Hopefully handles nicer when they get whipped off.

I am going to debadge my car and put gloss black badges on,what did you use to remove the badges and where are you getting your new badges.

cheers :teeth::D;)

No telling :lol:

I remove the badges carefully with a combination of hairdryer, trim removal tool to pry them off, lots of finger nail scraping, and finally some polish. The glue was a real PITA!

The centre badges I already have at home. The rear one I am still shopping for via eBay. It will likely be some kind of 'Nismo' badge which I'll get sprayed. The black ones on ebay right now do not look glossy, so will get any old one I like the look of and spray it at the same time as the door handles :D

Matt.Were you able to remove the arch lips without removing the wheels or is it easier to get access to the screws with the rims off.Any advice on your experience on removing them ?.

Matt.Were you able to remove the arch lips without removing the wheels or is it easier to get access to the screws with the rims off.Any advice on your experience on removing them ?.

Hey Payco.

I left the wheels on, but did jack the car up until the wheel started to lift - just to give maximum access.

Each wheel arch trim comes in 2 parts - a small piece on the bumper and a larger piece on the wing. Removing the trims is pretty straight forward, but you do need to drill out some rivets which is a tad scary.

For each wheel:

• Remove the 3 screws/poppers from the larger trim in the wheel arch (keep these handy to reinstall once finished)
  • Drill out the 2 rivets holding the smaller arch to the bumper. I think I used about a 3-4mm drill bit to remove the head of the rivet
  • Gently pry the trim away from the bumper (it's stuck on good!!)
  • Next pry away the trim from the wing (also stuck on well)
  • Then spend a lot of time cleaning off all the glue and gunk that gets left behind
  • Pop the screws/poppers back into the arch
  • Sit back and marvel at the sleek clean lines of your lovely car :D

Edited by mattross1313

Hey Mat, I got mine today yay! Two questions. What are your views on getting rid of the number plate brick and putting a smaller plate on?

Also.. have you thought about ditching the Nissan badges for Z badges?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hey Mat, I got mine today yay! Two questions. What are your views on getting rid of the number plate brick and putting a smaller plate on?

Hey Cray, welcome to Nismo ownership :D

I have a US Spec Nismo front number plate holder here at the office. I know that running smaller plates gets you in trouble with the plod, so I am looking to see how small I can make my plate whilst keeping it legal. I have personal plate but fear it may not be short enough.

For badges, I think I replied to your other thread already today. I have 2 'Z' burger badges at home, the Nissan badges are definitely being ditched in the near future. They are going gloss black :D

I've got a pristine front Z badge if you want for free. I put it on the car for about a week before removing it and putting some different ones on. It's the satin silver finish. You'd just need to add some double sided backing tape to fit it (and buy the rear badge obviously).

Edited by sipar69

I've got a pristine front Z badge if you want for free. I put it on the car for about a week before removing it and putting some different ones on. It's the satin silver finish. You'd just need to add some double sided backing tape to fit it (and buy the rear badge obviously).

Yea please! I will pay for postage! PM Me with postage costs ;)

Hey Cray, welcome to Nismo ownership :D

I have a US Spec Nismo front number plate holder here at the office. I know that running smaller plates gets you in trouble with the plod, so I am looking to see how small I can make my plate whilst keeping it legal. I have personal plate but fear it may not be short enough.

For badges, I think I replied to your other thread already today. I have 2 'Z' burger badges at home, the Nissan badges are definitely being ditched in the near future. They are going gloss black :D

I have run a small plate on the 200sx for about 10years with no issues from plod. I was so confident that I put one on the mr2 as well. That's been on there about a year with no issues again and I am in London :)

bb1da1dece419647d24d77a55a55f70e.jpg4ad7ac48888322f7ed2bb05aa3806eef.jpg

P.s. also notice lack of burger badges and cowboy hat badges lol

Edited by Cray Z

Yea please! I will pay for postage! PM Me with postage costs ;)

Dont worry about postage. Just PM me your address and i'll post it after the bank holiday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And finally I found a hidden mod Sunday morning (pic below). The joyous Shipping spacers that the PDI "technician" decided to leave on the car for me. My technician, and many others it would seem, cannot read.

I will however tell the other 2 guys that bought Nismo's from the same dealership as me, at the same time. They will no doubt also have them.

So, coming back to the above....

I spoke with the other 2 Nismo owners and advised they get their cars checked over due to the balls-up on mine. Luckily both of their cars were fine, so no drama for them. Word of the problem got back to the PDI technician, and when realising the **** up he said 'Well....I definitely remember removing the shipping spacers from 2 of the 3 Nismo's we prepared' !! So, I was just unlucky to have the third one that didn't have spacers removed. But I mean.....seriously! If you were fully aware that you left spacers on 33% of the Nismo's you prepared you would raise it and get them checked?!

But, then I'm giving the guy too much credit I think as it's the same guy that screwed the number plate into my front bumper!

Aaaanyway......the car was down at Nissan last Thursday for the shipping spacers to be finally removed. Lis took the car down for me and was all sorted the same day. Car sits a lot nicer now on the front :)

The next day I was driving to work enjoying the new suspension when the rear tyre 'popped'. I've had punctures in the past but this was pretty impressive! Was coming over a roundabout when all of a sudden there was a loud pop from the rear of the car followed by a flapping. Pulled over and found this in the tyre....

23C55B72-F90C-4711-9B93-A9EB4F22963C.jpg

Looks to be a small piece of steel bar, it was maybe 10-12mm diameter, which I guess explains the sudden pop and loss of pressure!

With such a large hole in the tyre the can of gunk would be no use. So I started making some calls and no-one had a tyre same day...and I wasn't too keen on leaving the Nismo on the side of the road for a few days!

Fast forward 4 hours (!!!) and the recovery truck finally arrives to take me up to Nissan. All 4 tyres have barely covered 4k miles so I decided to only swap out the one tyre, as opposed to swapping the axle which I usually would do. These are my tyre options, note this is Friday afternoon:

Nissan: Can get a tyre in for me next Friday at £265+VAT

Me Online: Can get a tyre delivered by next Thursday at £210

Me Locally: Can get a tyre delivered NEXT DAY for £240 (not sure why Nissan couldn't do this)

So I went for option 3, half expecting to have the car back Saturday PM, possibly Monday AM. But in the end they didn't swap the tyre over until Tuesday PM :lol:

After a joyous 4 days in a Vauxhall Mokka hire car I finally have Gizmo back :D

281850C4-F9C3-453D-9A14-8BEA8F53EF51.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not updated this for a while, and with Photobucket ruining the game for all forums half of my pics are missing too :headhurt:

Other than putting lots of miles on the car I haven't been up to a great deal. I fitted some illuminated door sills a little while ago as I picked up a set for a great price. I've also swapped out my dash cam as the first one keep having issues - now have an Auto-Vox unit which fits nicely in-front of the rear view mirror out of sight.

This weekend myself and a mate took on a job I've been pondering for a few months now. We DIY'd a Nismo door stripe. I purchased a ready made one from eBay ages ago, it ran just under the window line from the front wing to the rear. But it was made from cheap vinyl, was too short for the car and generally looked lame.

So, I purchased 3 individual colours and decided to try it myself. The red is pretty close to the Nismo colour, just not metallic, but the black and gunmetal are spot on!

After lots of measuring and double checking we made a start. The tail/squares of each stripe were quite tricky to cut out and apply...but overall I'm really happy with it!

Unknown.jpeg