Switching back to rays

martybhoy

Well fowks.

I can't make my mind up. I have two sets of wheels at my disposal. I have a set of Ray's that I got refurbed in shadow chrome and also a set of ruff 19" deep dish wheels in gloss black which are currently on the car.

The deep dish wheels looks great style wise but don't correctly fit the arches and I can't lose more height. Also they are heavy!!

The Rays being soo light were a noticeable difference to have on the car making the ride more agile through corners. Just not as easy on the eye.

My point is I'm going to buy some Michelin pilot super sports as a Christmas present to the car and I'm not sure which wheels to move ahead with.

What's your thoughts?

I'm not sure if a bit of paranoia has set in with the bum dyno. I do think the car is noticeably more responsive on the Rays. For instance a sudden burst of acceleration of tight turn the Rays felt a lot quicker.

I know some fowk knock the Rays but they are well engineered and under rated imo.

I do love the deep dish look though it's a hell of position to be in haha

Best thing I've done to my Z (in terms of drivability) is take off the 20's it came with and go back to Rays. Perhaps it's not as noticeable for you as you have 19's but I felt a big difference in the way the car drives.

As above the car probably looks nicer on 19's but in my opinion it's not worth the trade off for performance so the Rays would get my vote!

Edited by Rich260
  • Like 1

I replaced my 18" Rays with 19" + MPSS.

I dont feel as if I've taken a backward step with regards to handling or steering response.

The zed looks 10x better on the 19's than with the rays tucked under the arches.

So if it were me, I'd stick with the 19's

• Like 1

I think 19's look better, however if they are very heavy and dulling performance there's no point putting £800 of rubber on them when you can put £600 of rubber on wheel half the weight and benefit 2 fold in performance.

• Like 1

19s for show, 18s for go.

^^^^^ The truth

I will caveat this, more than happy to run 19's on the road for the trade off it in feel to asthetics at normal road speeds, but, for track speeds and quick direction changes required would have the 18's back on.

• Like 1

Rays are excellent wheels and personally I think they look really good on the Z with the matching door handle dots etc. The only time I'd change is if I went stupid power and needed something wider for grip reasons.

Agreed, short of Rota Grids, there isnt really a wheel I prefer on Zeds, a lot look over the top or too blingy.