Looking to buy a ZED next month!

JackE

I've been looking at a new car, I'm 21 years old and insurance would be reasonable on a zed!

Looking to spend about 10/11k on a good example and have a bit of fun in it!

What sort of thing should I be on the look out for when I text drive/look over a car etc, I've heard the engines are pretty sturdy.

It's between a 350z and an RS250 Megane , but the Z is just on another level aesthetically!

Thanks guys, hope I get one and see you soon!!

For the budget you have you can easily get a later HR model. As for what to look for their are some good buyers guides on here if you google them. :)

Welcome along by the way.

Thanks mate. My main question would be the reliability, common faults etc!

I'll have to do a few hours of reading! Lol

Hello and welcome. You will get a good car and spec for that budget, however the tax on April 06 car rises dramatically. The Z is a very modifiable car should you want to choose that path. :)

The cars I've been looking at have £500 road tax, pricy but I'm not too fussed. Does it go higher than this?

And yeah, looking at these forums there are some amazing cars on here, so jealous! You're not too far from me in Gloucester so I may see you mooching about haha :)

Glocester boy eh? Might see you around some times then :)

Things I would check when buying one (from experience bare in mind I'm only 20 myself....

3 types of 350Z *THIS IS MY understanding of them some info may be a little bit wrong or off but better to have an idea still :D

03-06? DE Engine 278?bhp *Redlines at 6.5K rpm around £250 road tax KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR OIL ISSUES (check oil around the RIGHT side of the engine and around dipstick mines covered in it and burns it so fast but fine if kept topped up

04-06? Uprev just over 300bhp Red lines 7.0K

06- HR I think 313bhp? Over £500 tax red lines 7.5K

Passenger window motor fails on these (could just be older DE engines (like mine) not sure

Like I said might just be on my older DE enginethey burn a lot of oil and can leak down the right side also IF you drive the car and you immediately look under the bonnet and you see smoke coming from the rear of the engine walk away and find another 350 :)

Ummm check simple things like does it have an undertray is the radiator straight as mine wasn't when I bought it but got her cheap so sorted my problems out and been great since :)

Check to see if the sub kicks only like a 10min job to fix but could try get some money off if it doesn't work :p

Check the gearing between 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th on my DE these are absolute buggers unless the car is warm

When you go and see a Z MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS STONE COLD and see if it starts up first time. They may have this problem so could earn the car up before you arrive!

Umm not really sure what else but I'm damn sure there is more.... Haha well anyway this info may help you and if anyone wants to add or fix anything I'v said feel free :)

Edited by Pimm Junior

Posted · Hidden by Ebized, November 2, 2015 - trying a sale
Hidden by Ebized, November 2, 2015 - trying a sale

Hi,

I'm potentially looking to sell mine in the next few weeks/months. Mines a 56 Reg so just before the HR model - but would also be a good deal under your budget under your budget.

Blue GT Spec

57k miles

Full Nissan Service History

Where are you in the west mids?

Posted · Hidden by Ebized, November 2, 2015 - sale post ^^^^
Hidden by Ebized, November 2, 2015 - sale post ^^^^

Hi,

I'm potentially looking to sell mine in the next few weeks/months. Mines a 56 Reg so just before the HR model - but would also be a good deal under your budget under your budget.

Blue GT Spec

57k miles

Full Nissan Service History

Where are you in the west mids?

Looking for something newer bud

Nothing to stop you pming other members but have you seen this first?

http://www.350z-uk.c...tential-buyers/

Best advice is to spend some time on here researching the aspects the ZEDs that might concern you, but the above link highlights most 'issues'.

If you see a ZED for sale that appeals you can always post a link for comments or ask if someone local can check the car over.....and you can always see their credentials by looking at their posts ;)

• Like 1

Best of luck buddy and happy hunting. Do you want a pre modified car or are you thinking standard, with the intention to modify, as the declared mods will rise the premium? :)

Thanks mate, I'd want standard pretty much! It doesn't feel like my car unless I've done the work to it :)

Huge membership on here in the West Mids area, so plenty of potential help around if you need it :thumbs:

Cheers🤗 Just waiting for a nice HR to pop up with Satnav! Found one but phoned up and said it was sold :(

Drive more than one. Even if that means a test drive in one without the right specs.

HR will cost more to mod due to the engine changes. Performance mods that is.

So keep that in mind if you want to change a lot of stuff.

That said 7.5k red line at stock is a very nice thing :)

Check tyre make, you might need to put new rubber on even if there is tread left. Mine can with a make so cheap it's not even a known budget brand and the arse end loses grip in the wet before a town car does!

Good practice mind you as I managed to pull her back into line today before the traction control kicked in :)