Knocking/flapping noise at 70mph

350David

Hi guys,

This is a weird one. Just had my 2007 350Z Roadster serviced and MOT'd at Nissan and, because it had just broken down before it was booked in, over £2k repairs on cooling fans, bushes and screen washer switch.

Now, I've driven it twice since getting it back. Second time last night on a short motorway trip and as soon as I get to 65-70mph I get this flapping noise that appears to be coming from the front/bottom of the car and it literally disappears when I drop speed again. I'll be taking it back to Nissan obviously but wondered if anyone had a clue what it could be so I don't get ripped off.

Thanks all.

Dave

Had this also when I had a garage fit a new metal Z Speed under tray. They appeared to had cut the rear of it for some reason, maybe the bolt were seized or something, and that small section was flapping about at exactly 70mph.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've had a look under the bonnet and the car and found what I think is the problem. Got a manager at Nissan calling me back on Monday. Livid. Took a photo but unable to post it. Looks like a long thin flap under the engine at the front/middle with a hook/ring thing on the end that has clearly come loose or was never tightened at all. Unbelievable.

. I'll be taking it back to Nissan obviously but wondered if anyone had a clue what it could be so I don't get ripped off.

Thanks all.

Dave

Unfortunately, it sounds like you already have. :blush:

Stay away from the Nissan franchise dealers, unless you know them first hand or by recommendation that they know there way around 350/370/R35.

I also have this weird plastic wobble type sound when I'm hitting around 60mph, can hear it quite loudly when turning left. I've checked the arch liners they seem pretty sturdy, it's also not the undertray as I've just changed that to a torqen tray and is as tight to the body as it can go. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Jack I'm sorry but I don't know what that could be. Mine was definitely the undertray.

Nissan took it back in and have secured it but today I got a call from their service manager telling me that, despite their "full health check" not picking it up, not even a mention of it on my MOT and after a full service, my middle and rear section of exhaust needs replacing for £500 just for parts . Apparently they noticed it today while the car was on a ramp getting the under tray (that they left hanging out of the bottom of the car in the first place) secured. This is Nissan!! I'm in there tomorrow morning to have it out with them. If I wasn't so furious I'd laugh.