Helmet advice?

rickya

For all you track day & karting enthusiasts:

Do I need (is it advisable) to buy a helmet if Im going to take my zed to trackdays?

What are the diff between motorcycle helmets & race car helmets?

Iv tried ebay but most are motorcycle. Do you know any good places for not so exspensive helmets.

Thanks

I asked my mate this very question last week. He is a racing driver, and recommended going to Grand Prix Racewear and they would sort out something that fitted right and for a price in your budget. Main advice he gave was to avoid trying to go for a particular brand, go for whatever fits best, and not to get bike helmets.

Bikers, don't shoot, just relaying what was passed on to me! :)

Hi.

Could try reading the advice on track day company websites.

Some allow you to hire helmets on the day others require you to bring your own. Make sure any helmet you buy has a minimum of the ACU sticker on it. Motorsport helmets will have codes such as: Snell SA2005 and SFI/FIA approved.

Chris

Ricky if you want a good quality "bike" helmet I have some carbon /kevlar., Gold ACU stamped (ie competition use ) , with anti fog visor.. Full Face for £40 to you :)

Good price lomoto very tempting :teeth:

let me know if you get tempted :thumbs: I think I have them in Blue/ Silver , Red/ Silver and Black/Silver

Bike helmets are OK.. :thumbs:

I've got an HISL full face car helmet. It seems a bit wider around the opening for the visor. Also has a fire proof nomex lining. Can't remember the place I got mine from. You could try Demon Tweeks, Rally Design etc. or take up Tim's offer.

Tim have you got any pics mate? Any in Sunset colour!! (Blk/Silver sounds good)

Jay missed ur call, was at cousins place. ps I was thinking about getin it for our track days next year hopefully!!

thats what im thinking too, think we will need em lol :lol: pming ya now, just got in from club so tired, in well early cant be bothered to go out anymore is that a sign of age? whats happening :scare::headhurt:

What are the diff between motorcycle helmets & race car helmets?

Basically the weight and the composition of the helmet. Motorbike helmets are much heavier, not quite so desirable in a car. As with any helmet, don't scrimpt, get the best you can afford, pretty important to protect your skull. Also in my opinion, full face helmet is always the way to go. Just picture the worst case scenario with an open face. Not pretty.

If you intend to do just track days then bike helmets are fine. If you intend getting a competition licence however and doing any MSA events, you will need a car helmet as bike ones don't have the necessary approval any more.

Demon Tweeks do a free return policy whereby if you choose a helmet that doesn't fit, or you don't like, they will exchange it free of charge.

Tim have you got any pics mate? Any in Sunset colour!! (Blk/Silver sounds good)

Here you go Ricky, these are the carbon / kevlar type (not cheapo polycarbonate ), with removable lining ,ratchet type / fog free visor, acu gold stamp..

helmets001.jpg

helmets002.jpg

helmets004.jpg

helmets005.jpg

Tim most probably be ordering a couple of you tmrw..ah that xmas...ok..after xmas! Just need to recheck my head size & bro in laws head size. No need to check Zedrushes, he's a bit of a show off so x large for him!! :teeth: Oh yeah & need to deicde on colour, that blue looks pretty cool!

Car helmets also have smaller visors, due to the head position in a car being more straight than on a bike, which is safer.

And what is the difference between this £40 helmet and a Shark or Shoei one which costs about 5 times that price? :wacko: ( and i m not referring to replicas where you also pay for the paint job)

And what is the difference between this £40 helmet and a Shark or Shoei one which costs about 5 times that price? :wacko: ( and i m not referring to replicas where you also pay for the paint job)

Same as most things in life ,you start paying for the badge that's stuck on the item , perceived value adds a lot of money... :)

I remember a few years back Shoei did a special promotion on one of their helmets that had been retailing for £250 they slashed the price to the dealers to £50 as they werent selling, :scare: says it all really

I have worked in the motorcyle industry in the past. Having seen a hell of a lot of bikes that have been thrown down, and the matching helmets, DON'T scrimp on helmets, get the best you can afford.

Ever seen a car helmet, where the drivers helmet has smashed into the roll cage, even with the foam over the cage? I'm being brutal here for a reason. Don't be a temporary citizen please, any of you. ;)

"You get what you pay for". The old adage applies here big time. :)

Which gives us 2 completely contradictory answers in 2 posts.

Thanks for the explanation :lol:

everyone's entitled to their own opinion... Mine is that no way can I see the value in a £400-£500 helmet..they all meet exactly the same standards as a £50 item... and to be totally frank I think if your going to really safety conscious all helmets require replacement after 3 years as the interiors degrade, that's why when they get scrutineered at race meetings at most level , the date stamp inside is inspected and they have to be under 3 years old.. I would sooner buy a cheap quality helmet and replace it each year ,

but yes, a few years back there was some truly horrible polycarbonate helmets around , Thankfully at least in the UK these seem to have fell by the wayside , (mainly due to the very cheap production costs now available on the top spec items ) .. I would certainly be of the opinion that today's cheaper helmets are better spec and safer than the absolute top flight helmets of a few years back... IMO :)

As has already been said, there are arguments for both expensive and inexpensive helmets.

It's similar to the thread elsewhere on tyres. Are Michelin's really that much better than Toyo's, for example? My philiosophy has always been to go for the best I can afford that gives good value for money.

My Shoei is 8 years old and still going strong. The lining is fine and I don't have any problems in scrutineering.

Picture.jpg