Hi from a potential owner

Hi Guys

Thought I'd better introduce myself (thanks xStric9x for the reminder!). I'm looking to potentially buy a 350Z having recently had my HSV GTS rear-ended and written off. I drove one at the weekend (an '05 GT) and to be honest was disappointed by the apparant performance and definitely the quality of the interior. I've been somewhat spoilt by owning a 300 brake Impreza, the HSV running 400 brake and then a 911 hire-car I was given and comparitively the 350Z felt like it lacked a serious amount of punch. In fairness it was quite a short drive, with a dealer sat beside me and I get the impression that it's a car you need to live with for a while to begin to appreciate its abilities - is that a fair comment? I just didn't jump in it, put my foot down and think sh!t thats quick..... and that interior, to be fair my '97 run-around mondeo is built better inside. It just did not feel like I was in a 30k-new car.....

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received.

Thanks...

Hi Guys

Thought I'd better introduce myself (thanks xStric9x for the reminder!). I'm looking to potentially buy a 350Z having recently had my HSV GTS rear-ended and written off. I drove one at the weekend (an '05 GT) and to be honest was disappointed by the apparant performance and definitely the quality of the interior. I've been somewhat spoilt by owning a 300 brake Impreza, the HSV running 400 brake and then a 911 hire-car I was given and comparitively the 350Z felt like it lacked a serious amount of punch. In fairness it was quite a short drive, with a dealer sat beside me and I get the impression that it's a car you need to live with for a while to begin to appreciate its abilities - is that a fair comment? I just didn't jump in it, put my foot down and think sh!t thats quick..... and that interior, to be fair my '97 run-around mondeo is built better inside. It just did not feel like I was in a 30k-new car.....

Thanks...

:welcome:

The zed will always lack punch when compared to those motors, but those motors are not direct comparisons are they? To compare you need to be thinking 2 seats for a start eg s2k, TT or a boxster. Those are the zeds competitors.

The interior is pretty poor on the earlier models but not that bad imo. Try getting in a MY06 car as the interior was upgraded significantly on these cars onwards.

Also, for less than £10k you can add some forced induction and achieve figures of over 400 bhp if thats what your looking for?

It really depends on what you want from your car really :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your HSV mate.

I had a Zed before my 'Ro and loved it. 2 seats were it's only problem, that and **** poor paint.

Power wise the Zed I felt held it's own and corners very well and unlike your HSV it has ESP which will sort you out if it all goes a bit hairy.

As Sarnie says the later models have a bit more poke, but it's not a great leap TBH.

The interior is a bit flimsy, but does look a bit more bespoke than a Mondeo I'd imagine :teeth:

Good luck, shop around and try the rivals, but the Zed will win the battle of 2 seaters

Welcome. They are quite different sorts of cars you are comparing. If the salesman was a smart chap/ette he'd/she'd have encouraged you to take the Zed for a drive for a longer period.

The first 2 Zeds I drove, I drove for about an our each, decent period of time to get a feel for a car. I've now driven 17 x 350's, not including my own.

Sounds like you shouldn't be buying a 350z to me. It's more of a GT cruising machine. It's a heavy car so this has a big impact. It eats up the miles well and resonably quick, but no comparison to some of your previous cars. I used to have an Impreza and it only had 235 bhp but felt miles quicker then the Zed. Then again it was over 300 kg's lighter so not surprising I guess.

Depends on what you are looking for I guess... :thumbs:

Hi Guys

Thanks...

Hey buddy, welcome and now maybe some of your questions will be answered :thumbs:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I understand the comment about everybody here having already justified the purchase of a 350Z to themselves, but I would think that many here have all drawn up the same shortlist of cars before deciding on the 350. At the end of the day, everybody is different and we all want different things from a car. My budget puts me looking at an '03 vintage, so I'm a way off the facelifted interior and there's no budget for super/turbo-charging on top.....

Which cars was I comparing to at twice the price??

I briefly considered the M3 route, but to be honest it's the BMW/common thing that puts me off - I prefer to drive something a bit different to the rest....

Other things on the list were boxster (never been 100% convinced about the styling), M3 (as above), 330d E46 (as above), S2000 (prefer a tin top), RX8 (can't live with the fuel/oil economy), Monaro (been there, done that with the HSV), AMG Merc??

I briefly considered the M3 route, but to be honest it's the BMW/common thing that puts me off - I prefer to drive something a bit different to the rest....

Other things on the list were boxster (never been 100% convinced about the styling), M3 (as above), 330d E46 (as above), S2000 (prefer a tin top), RX8 (can't live with the fuel/oil economy), Monaro (been there, done that with the HSV), AMG Merc??

I considered most of those too. Didn't like the image of the boxster, Beemers as you say are sooo common, S2k looks like a birds car, RX8 is vile imo, TT is too sterile and looks like a hairdressers car. I also did not want to go down the football hooligans cars eg scooby or evo's etc hence I ended up with the zed and loved both of the two I owned :thumbs:

I considered most of those too. Didn't like the image of the boxster, Beemers as you say are sooo common, S2k looks like a birds car, RX8 is vile imo, TT is too sterile and looks like a hairdressers car. I also did not want to go down the football hooligans cars eg scooby or evo's etc hence I ended up with the zed and loved both of the two I owned :thumbs:

+1 thats roughly the route i took aswell :thumbs:

Having just done something similar and ended up buying a Zed, my thinking went along the lines;

TT to common and based on experience of the bi-turbo avant I have for load lugging (albeit quickly) too many electrical problems and pricey servicing, drive wise not exciting enough.

S2000 - really fun above 6000 rpm but too noisey to live with unless you keep GT top on all year, instrument panel a bit old / boring.

RX-8 - found this curious with flat torque in high rev range but to respond to any thing you had to have it pre-wound up, I thought best dash quality of them, decent Bose system and that little extra practicality, reasonably comfortable ride. Oil topping up every 1500 miles would be a pain as it has small sump to start with and that rotary engine uses oil. fuel consumption low 20's if you're lucky according to a few people I know who've had them.

350z - instantly liked this, accessable power, better engine sound, enough practicality for living with (but then have an estate as well), dash quality not the best but fine enough, GT pack seems nearly essential to protect residuals. Having had one a little over a week now, easy to live with on long runs easy to have a rear wiggle when you want especially in this weather and people do look even though the design has been around for a bit. Servicing costs seem reasonable and I'm averaging just over 26mpg (the long runs on cruise control help). Nissan dealers though are a long way behind the Lexus ones I'm used to dealing with and even the Audi one.

OK - I'm no car reviewer but would do same buying choice again.

Zummertor good write up , the rx8 worries me as it needs constant tlc and the rotary engines arent great for big miles without a rebuild, highly regarded by all the reviews though

the TT does everything spot on but its just numb to drive i found (and the image isnt great, newer ones are better)

Well after all the umming/ahhring and thinking, I took the plunge and am now the owner of Hasib's old silver 350Z GT that was on the sales page. So far I'm very pleased with it and look forward to learning more about the car and what it can do.

Thanks for all the thoughts/advice guys and see you on the other pages.....

Dan

PS - Happy Christmas and New Year to you all!!

Welcome to the club :)

In defence of the RX-8, I ran one from new for just over 18 months prior to getting my Zed in October 2007. The oil situation is much less of a problem than car reviewers make out. The manual suggests that you check the oil after every fill up but having started out this way, I soon relaxed to checking every 1000 miles and then every couple of thousand. I did 40,000 miles in 18 months and added about 7 litres of oil in total (cost around £25 because there is no point putting expensive stuff in and the manual actually recommends mineral oil over synthetic). The petrol consumption on the other hand is diabolical. It was a brilliant car to drive though, the handling was sweet and the steering was very sharp (probably a little bit better than the Zed) but overall I much prefer the Zed.

When I was choosing, I looked at the following:

Boxster S (3.4) - In the end I thought it was too expensive considering I was going to pile the miles on and what I really wanted was a Cayman S (that I couldn't afford)

Z4 (3.0i) - Not a fan of Beemers (like a clitoris...)

TT (3.2 Quattro) - Dull to drive

I think you've made the right choice Dan. Merry Christmas to you too.

Andrew