European road trips what do you expect

nissanman312

Hi guys I'm reaching out to the community to get your thoughts on European trips

What I want to know from you guys is things like

What would make you do anot organised trip over just doing a trip with freinds

What would be an ideal amount of days for a trip

What sort of money would you like/expect to pay for said trip

What would you like/expect to get from your trip for your money

How many hours a day would you prefer to drive

How many cars would you like to be on the trip

Etc etc

Thoughts and answers on a postcard below

Thanks in advance guys

Exclusive visits, cheaper hotels.

Depends on price, but 7-10 days tops.

Like? £3.56. Expect? For crossings and hotels, £700-£1000 depending on length and quality.

Roads/trips that aren't on every other schedule, i.e. forget the Stelvio, the Ring etc.

As many as possible, if it's a driving holiday so 6-8 hours. If a holiday with wimmins then probably 3-5 a day.

6-8 tops.

• Like 1

No probs, I just went with stuff off the top of my head. :)

You planning on sorting something out?

Yes we are organising/running a weeks driving holiday next June

We have set the limit to 15 cars all on a invite basis for now which we have already filled

My friend and I have both done a couple of these sort of trips. And found them either

To big with no personal feel or to tiring so just long old days draging to hotels to tick the next box. ie the ring or stevilo for example

We wanted to create a driving holiday where by the emphasis is on both of those words.

So nice enjoyable days not to long! Minimal motorway or major roads

And really build the route based on quality not quantity .

My freind spent the week in europe the other week checking out hotels.

All of which we think we can make 4/5 star places so people have the most relaxing evenings possible. with plenty of places to explore of an evening etc

The group of 15 we have assembled are made of like minded people that are all sensible enough to have fun.without asbo behaviour nobody wants that on there holiday

Some really nice cars everything from lambos to gtrs to golf GTI and of course 370zs :)

That's not to say any car of any value isn't welcome this trip is about the people

It's the people that make these trips great!

The main thing we want to achieve is a happy group that enjoys there trip.

And comes home having had fun and also relaxed

But also feel that they have had value for there money

And hopefully will want to go again the year after

Hopefully as time goes on maybe we could do two a year.but keeping the numbers small to maintain the main objective of quality over quantity

It's early days and we want to get things right hence why I wanted to hear all of your opinions

Like? £3.56. Expect? For crossings and hotels, £700-£1000 depending on length and quality.

Roads/trips that aren't on every other schedule, i.e. forget the Stelvio, the Ring etc.

As many as possible, if it's a driving holiday so 6-8 hours. If a holiday with wimmins then probably 3-5 a day.

6-8 tops.

£700-1000? Only if you're filling the tank with water and sleeping rough!

6-8 tops.

Not at all

700/1000 plus feul is more than possible in 4/5 star hotels and

I spent about 600 on fuel and food for myself and my girlfriend for a week

For example this place http://www.palacebormio.it/en/wellness

We have negotiated a verry resonable price

Edited by nissanman312

The first thing I'd do would be to check on the driving laws in any countries you may be visiting, especially France :lol: . O.K, so you won't be visiting the good old U.S.A but luckily for me I read that if you get pulled by the police under no circumstances get out of your car or even reach for your seatbelt, you're very likely to be shot :scare:. Yeah, I got pulled for doing an illegal U-Turn :surrender:

Pete

The first thing I'd do would be to check on the driving laws in any countries you may be visiting, especially France :lol: . O.K, so you won't be visiting the good old U.S.A but luckily for me I read that if you get pulled by the police under no circumstances get out of your car or even reach for your seatbelt, you're very likely to be shot :scare:. Yeah, I got pulled for doing an illegal U-Turn :surrender:

Pete

Yes all the laws will be published in our booklet ;)

The other half and I will be doing a Euro trip next Sept shortly after the kids are back in school. In my head I expect this to be 7 - 10 days and cost approx £2k all in, planning on no more than 4-5 hrs driving a day but probably more on the first or last day. I am expecting to cover up to 2,000 miles with a mix of sight seeing and fun driving. Not planning on pre booking hotels except the first night.

Personally, I would have thought 15 is to many, 7-10 I would have thought would be better unless you plan on splitting into two groups for the driving.

Good luck with your plans

Edited by davedutch

Much as I hate to agree with my old buddy Dan, I think that for the most part, he has hit the nail on the head. Although I think for £100 per night in a hotel is a bit OTT. Most of our trips resulted in hotel costs of around £40 - £60 per night. We're in Spain just now and last night we stayed in a reasonable hotel for 58 euros, 12 of which was a 3 course dinner with a full bottle of wine. The most we spent was 113 euros for dinner, hotel and breakfast in a modern hotel in Jaca on the first night.

My June trip to Spain for 14 days cost me £2,243.76 for absolutely everything including fuel for a GTR.

• Like 2

I based that on £100 a room per night, which seemed about right to me.

And there was me thinking I was the posh snob on here ;):lol:

All depends how you want to do it I guess but I'd say on your working out you can do it fairly nice no need to slum it :)

Rule of thumb budget £150-200pd for fuel, food and basic lodgings. Extras are toll roads, ferry, insurance, eu breakdown and ringpass if you're feeling lucky! Switzerland is eye watering, Germany is dirt cheap. Anything more than 350 miles per day is too much IMHO and turns your holiday into a chore - six hours tops per day.

• Like 1