Shift knob

Z34-RyanC

Finally got rid of the horrendous standard manual shift knob that looked like it was taken from the early 90's Ford parts bin. Managed to get one that fits 100% perfect and you can even pull up the gator to cover the bottom of the shift knob and keeps it looking all neat and tidy.012a3338a6e26e07705a44189f0dabdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah yeah yeah :lol:;)

How do you find moving from a ball type shifter to a lever type? I don't actually prefer one over the other myself, I've found it very much depends on the application. I've got a rounded M Sport one in the BMW, but run a custom brass lever one in the MR2. Does feel weird going from one to the other!

Tbh I quite like it a lever type gives you the more sporty/motorsport feel where as a ball type is more comfort orientated. Was a nightmare to get them oem knob off tho.

Edited by Z34-RyanC

😂😂😂 that's kind of the other issue. No it's not weighted it's actually hollow but has a 2-3mm profile and splits down to about 3 pieces that screw together and a spring in the middle that is supposed to hold everything tight however it didn't and the whole thing wobbled and squeaked quite a lot. I discovered that 2 pence pieces fit perfectly in place of the spring so there is now a handful of 2 pence pieces in there and screwed back together now has a slight weight to it and doesn't make a sound.

I'm not keen on the stock shift knob, but I also don't like the style of most off the shelf alternatives. These guys get great reviews in the States. They're pricey, but you can customise to your preference.

http://lathewerks.com/shop/index.php?cPath=30_50

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30_50&products_id=174

I've got the 'hybrid piston' version on order with red shift pattern engraving. Will post a review up (assuming I can get the stock shifter off - mine is pretty tight, but there are some good safe-removal guides out there) :)

It is the hardest thing to get off ever I think they let the apprentice install the shift knob and he got a bit trigger happy with the locktite I read various "how too's" and I didn't want to ruin the standard knob. However if you do not want to ruin the standard knob do not under any circumstance put grips on it I padded it with towels and even wrapped it in loads of duck tape but all I achieved was ruining the knob. What worked was I pulled the gator up to and then slid the boot down out of the way and held the shaft with a set of grips and got my brother to help and we took it in turns to have a go at twisting the knob off took a while and us basically hanging off it but this is the only thing that worked. I priced up a group buy last night and could do them for £7 posted if anyone was interested.

Thanks - I had a tentative twist of mine and it felt very tight so I'm going to follow a guide I saw on the US forums which sounds similar to your method;

1 - Lift gaitor - 'Robo Grip' pliers to hold the shaft

2 - Strap wrench (which should damage it) around the knob

Fingers crossed! :)

Bit of an update at my end - couldn't stand the supense of waiting for the new knob to arrive to find out if I could get the stock off so had a go at removing it today. Came good in the end using a chain wrench and some shielding with a towel, but I still managed to damage the leather a bit. I'm not bothered though as I'm just glad it came loose without damaging the internals. They certainly stick em on good!

Now to wait for the new one to arrive! B)

Edited by sipar69

Found out last week that my custom made shift knob has been delayed because the guy who makes them is in the process of moving premises. Since I knackered the stock knob loosening it, I've been hunting around for a replacement and settled on this - a Blox Type R in Electric Blue (Courtesy of Tarmac Sportz). Wasn't certain about the colour until it arrived, but I really like it - nice and heavy too (450g) so it feels good to use.

It could do with a metal finisher to complete the look, but they are so hard to find in the UK (I used a rubber washer and some cable tie under the boot to hold it up). The engraving on top is red, so it works quite well with the Nismo accents and seats. :)

DSC00273_zpsplri5ypc.jpg

DSC00272_zps3c2jpu2m.jpg

Edited by sipar69

I'm a purist in that I like my knob standard. All these after market attempts make your knob look like it belongs to a teenage boy in my opinion.

My standard knob is looking a bit worn now though and could do with a freshen up.

:)

• Like 1

I'm a purist in that I like my knob standard. All these after market attempts make your knob look like it belongs to a teenage boy in my opinion.

My standard knob is looking a bit worn now though and could do with a freshen up.

:)

All this knob chat...:)

I'm not one for bling as a rule - the small number of cosmetic mods I've done to the Nismo have been quite subtle (the most obvious being the red seats) and the custom made knob I've ordered is quite conservative looking. That said, I really like the Blox - the colour is quite subtle in the metal and it feels a lot better to use thanks to the added weight.

• Like 1