Heavy STeering on the Zed?

jordan3054

Hello All

This is my first post here after reading through several old posts.

I test drove a nice 350Z last week, but noticed the steering was quite heavy. (Heavier than any other car I have driven, and I have been driving for around 11 years now). Considerably heavier than my last car, as E46 Coupe

Does this sound normal to people, or does it sound like this car in particular could have a tracking problem, and if so, is it easily rectified?

TIA

was it on standard rims ? wider rims - bigger tyres - bigger contact patch so the steering can be slightly heavier

was it heavier one way more than the other ? the steering isnt light on the zed though, did you check the tyre wear

oh and ........welcome aboard :teeth:

the controls are generally reckoned to be pretty heavy - but I think you would quickly adapt to it - I don't find driving the Z tiring.. (when it was in for a service last month and they gave me some crappy small peugot courtesy car, I was so worried I was going to snap something off and couldnt believe how little feedback the controls gave me)..

THanks. JUst as long as its normal, which by the sound of it, it is. I kind of liked the heavy feel in a way. THe clutch was very heavy tho, but apparently it had been modified.

I also test drove a MY07 car, and the clutch was light as a feather in comparison

ANd thanks for the warm welcome !!

I've never found the steering heavy but then I've never really driven anything with super light steering where you can't feel what ya doing.

I have no issues with the Z's steering.

Try driving a Toyota Avensis, Ford Focus or Nissan Tiida. Some of the worst cars I've ever driven. Steering is light as a feather as is clutch. Gear throw is too long. No feedback at all. Seat position too high.

Had a Lotus a few years back for a couple of days. Loved the lack of power steering.

I also test drove a MY07 car, and the clutch was light as a feather in comparison

Yep 07 clutch is far lighter and took me a little getting used to after having an 04 Z for a year. I prefered the 04 clutch but over all prefer the 07.

:welcome:

:welcome: and yeah i found it heavier mate dont drive mine that often as got a van for work think thats why it always feels that bit heavier but you'll soon get uset to it, only time i notice a real difference is when im going slow in second and after turning expecting the steerin wheel to spin back which it would on a smaller car or van!!! but they aint built for the performance factor :lol:

Hi buddy and welcome :thumbs:

What part of the world are you from?

Well I have just moved out to Malaysia(From NW England) with the missus, still getting used to the heat, and the CAR PRICES :rant:

Just been car browsing today, a 2002 M3 Convertible is around £50k, used 2003 350Z from Japan is around £25,000, 2002 Merc SL350 around £60,000, Ferrari F430 is around £280,000, and a brand new BMW 645Ci around £120,000

I have decided if I stay out here I want a 350Z as servicing and repairing European cars here is difficult, and I have always loved the look and sound of the 350Z, and after test driving one recently, have now fallen in love with the whole driving experience. Plus the sound was awesome (Huge exhausts, theres no such think as having to pass an MOT here :teeth: ) Loud but silent enough when just cruising

The car I drove had a short shift manual gearbox, which was great. I have aldo decided it has to be a manual after trying the tiptronic as well

Welcome Jordan,

You've actually answered your own question. To get a good bearing as to whether the heavy steering question is normal for a 350, I'd be taking a few for a test drive if I were you. As the others have pointed out they're not overly light on the steering. Happy test driving, and this is one of the reasons I personally always recommend to people to take a few out for test drive. Enjoy.

why the hell is it priced like that when in japan there so cheap!!!

The Government here puts a crazy amount of tax on all imported cars, its to discourage people from buying imported, and instead buy locally made cars.

People hardly buy imported cars new, they are always used, from Japan or somewhere. The average wage here is also much much much lower, so makes it even harder. Foods cheap tho

Give me good old UK car prices (and wages) anyday

why the hell is it priced like that when in japan there so cheap!!!

The Government here puts a crazy amount of tax on all imported cars, its to discourage people from buying imported, and instead buy locally made cars.

People hardly buy imported cars new, they are always used, from Japan or somewhere. The average wage here is also much much much lower, so makes it even harder. Foods cheap tho

Give me good old UK car prices (and wages) anyday

But most of those prices are over double the brand new cost!!! A 430 costs about £130,000 but there its £280,000..... that £150,000 in tax :scare:

Yep thats what its like out here.

People normally buy "recond" cars, which is basically a used car (few years old) from Japan/UK etc, which has been reconditioned, and tax normally under declared upon being imported to bring the price down slightly.

I spoke to someone who recently bought a 2002 Merc SL 55 AMG here with around 60k miles on the clock, imported from the UK, and it cost him over £120,000 he says

Neighbouring countries like SIngapore and Indonesia are very similar

id get yourself back to the UK!!! :lol:

I know lol

On the plus side who, its dead laid back here, doing certain things is much simpler, you dont have to be extremely politically correct and watch EVERYTHING you say in fear that someone is going to accuse you of being racist etc when you are not

Believe it or not I do miss the cooler weather in the UK tho

well the £120k ferrari costs roughly $120k in usa....in today's value..its half price!!!!

but yes asian countries..most of them have a strong duty structure to discourage imports and allow domestic manufacturing sectors to gain market share. its all part of those developing economies trying to gain good foundations before being competitive with foriegn established companies.

I remember the same was followed in India about 10 yrs ago....its only been about 10 years since they opened up the market for foriegn companies..(if they invest and produce locally)....and a car there costs roughly the same as in UK. and the quality of products from indian manufacturers have gone up considerably to be competitive to foriegn companies.....

the crazy prices in some countries are nothing to be afraid of...thats just the way it is my friends...

try the middle-east for cheap cars..lol but then it will be LHD.