TURBO please dont stone me

Zedrush

I know there have been multiple posts on this, but considering my options and Im thinking, sod it, I love my Z, not gonna worry on value dropping just want to enjoy it. :thumbs: I love the look of it and whilst contemplating the New GT-R I thought id love to get use to my car keep it for another 3 or 4 years, make it look stunning and Turbo it. :blush: Sod how much I may lose in the long run, I love this car.

So the dreaded question, which of the Turbos is best value for money, so many different varieties, which one is the most reliable for daily use..

Also if I wanted to go ove 400BHP what internals exactly will need changing and estimate cost...

Sorry yes I looked through the threads but none compare them. I know the power enterprise are easy to fit, my prob is for the money its got alot less HP than the others offer :dry:

GTR has them as standard! :teeth:

Sorry buddy. Go for it if thats what you want. Id go with whoever has the most experience and back up should something go wrong. Dont forget to keep money aside for your ecu and tuning.

APS looks like it comes with bigger injectors and a Garret Turbo..not sure on the price difference though.

Agree that PE is probably the safest route for longevity with a bone stock engine. It's a nice kit and comes with everything you need.

Redo the engine? Well, I did just the engine for about $9,000 US. Balanced and polished crank, ceramic main bearings, ARP rod bolts/main/head studs, Pauter forged rods, CP forged ceramic coated 8.5:1 .002 overbore pistons, cylinders trued with a torque plate, ported and polished head, 5-angle valve job, JWT cams and springs. Then you increase oil capacity and cooling. Oversized radiator (Koyo) and water pump. Then you add new injectors (I used 550cc), fuel pump, rails, and pressure regulator. And add some engine management electronics (I used GReddy e-Manage). Top it off with a new intake manifold (Kinetix SSV) and all the other gauges and bells and whistles. Then open up the exhaust and add a new racing clutch and flywheel to handle all the HP. When you finish all that, you're now up to about $20,000 (including the supercharger). Oh, don't forget to add in labor costs (I did 75-80% of the work myself). Add other amenities like wheels, tires, suspension and brakes to round out the package. So, I'm now up to around $30,000 -- the cost of your average Z (could have bought a GT-R for what I've got in the '03).

At this point, you don't really have a daily driver. You have a very wicked beast that is not easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic. You also have to be willing to replace parts that were not designed to do what you're asking them to do.

So, it comes down to a choice. You can get 100 extra ponies fairly inexpensively, or you can get 250-300 extra ponies for a very significant expense. With the 100 extra, you can kill most all the Porsches except the 911 Turbo. When you go 250-300 more, you're now running neck to neck with the new GT-R (except around corners) -- about the same quarter mile times.

Would I do it over again? Yep, but then I like driving the monster FLYIN Z. :D

Only problem with PE kit is that its not that cheap if your car is 2005 model, around 9k I think and for that price Id rather pay 12k and have an R34 block installed running 500bhp and then possibilities are endless... hmm could even get a sticker on the back of the car saying Supra Killer :teeth:

The R-34 turbo (V-Spec) engine will make gobs of horses very easily. There are quite a few running around with over 1,000 HP. I think the most HP is a little over 1,400 on the RB26DETT. So if you want to go all out and still keep your 350 "Nissan true" then RB26DETT (V-Spec) is what you want.

So here you go, the RB26DETT in a 350 -- this 350 is also AWD using the entire Skyline ATTESA drive train. Can you find the radiator?

AWD350z1.jpg

bloody ell thats no joke :scare::scare::scare:

Had a long talk to Andrew at ESR racing top bloke, he has really helped me out with what to do, as him and Phil have done things like this over and over like Tere. They had a 800BHP Supra that set them back over a 100k to make :scare::scare::scare:

He asked me why do I want more power, have I taken my car to the limit and squeeze every single ounce of power out of it?... I said no. he said then dont turbo it cos Ill end up crashing it.

He said the biggest mistake people make is jumping on the band wagon of bigger BHP without truley understanding their cars or knowing how to drive or preparing it. Or getting big BHP cos everyone else wants it but never actually using it. He said first before going down that route, get bigger brakes and suspension, get use to the car, enjoy it... then when my driving skills get better go for the PE kit and enjoy it even more, but at least by that time I will know my car better. He says do things progressively not in one go otherwise you will be jumping in the deep end, unless you are a skilled driver. He said further more, when tuning it, do it because you want to and that you feel it will enhance your experiencee when driving, dont ever think that modifying will add huge value to the car. The 100k supra got sold for 30k in the end, but they said they knew they would never get their money back on it, hence why I will keep it and enjoy as a track car when I upgrade my car.

Perhaps this is the best advice ever. So I am ordering the KW Variant 3 suspension kit, and some spare winter.track wheels, then brakes :thumbs:

Plan is keep this car, do it up but not over spend on it, enjoy it learn and make mistakes in it, then finally have it as a track car. Going to get another car that I wont modify in a couple of years time when I turn the 350z into just a fun car running at no more than 380bhp strip it out and put a roll cage in it.

2 years time I should be a better driver and get a sensible car as my daily driver, Dad says an Aston I say a porka similar to Baptists B)

Andrew also brought up the film Initial D, as an idea of getting to know the car and out performing higher specs. So bring on the tuning, and bookings of lots of track lessons :yahoo::lol:

Any one have the KW variant 3 installed, any thoughts?

Good move IMO :D

I also feel that I have such a great handling, fun car & I have never taken it on a track.(Iv done track days but not in my own cars). I bought the zed after reading countless articles in Evo Mag about how amazing they think it is on the track. So I also in early spring shall be taking my zed for the first time onto the track to get to learn the limits of the car & understand its handling better. After much reasearch I believe the safest track for a beginner will be Bedford. (I think the West Circuit). ps Jay u up for that mate?

Good move IMO :D

I also feel that I have such a great handling, fun car & I have never taken it on a track.(Iv done track days but not in my own cars). I bought the zed after reading countless articles in Evo Mag about how amazing they think it is on the track. So I also in early spring shall be taking my zed for the first time onto the track to get to learn the limits of the car & understand its handling better. After much reasearch I believe the safest track for a beginner will be Bedford. (I think the West Circuit). ps Jay u up for that mate?

Yeh defo, let me know and I definatly come up with you and can get to know our cars :thumbs:

After much reasearch I believe the safest track for a beginner will be Bedford. (I think the West Circuit). ps Jay u up for that mate?

I went to Bedford with a mate in his Evo, seems to be a very good novice track. Reasonable amounts of grass run off, so low chance of hitting something should it go wrong :thumbs:

hey zedrush, feel the same as you did. got mine fitted with the APS TT and would never look back. the Z gts more attention than my mates 911 turbo and once moving keeps up if not pulls on his! I use it everyday and would not want more power, I dont think the 350z's balance is good enough with more power in wet/ ice weather. Above what I have 400bhp would become a balls ache for everyday use.

or you could go the skyline route ;)

Turbonetics Single turbo.. saw it for less than $6000 and its simple bolt on and u just send your ECU to them and return it with new settings..

Negatives: it may only achieve about 380hp and at low boost.. (they state 450hp on website but i heard thats no safe with stock internals)

Positives: Safer, wont blow your engine, cheap to install only 8hrs, ECU flashed and sent back to you by post.

This is the direction im going.. when i get enough finance.

Turbonetics Single turbo.. saw it for less than $6000 and its simple bolt on and u just send your ECU to them and return it with new settings..

Negatives: it may only achieve about 380hp and at low boost..

Positives: Safer, wont blow your engine, cheap to install only 8hrs, ECU flashed and sent back to you by post.

Are you sure that its ok for RHD cars, I remember reading that some of the ST kits wont work with our cars

Ive read on my350z.com that the HKS twin kit is already out/soon to be & theres not a lot to the kit.

Yep but discussions about wether it will be officially sold in the UK remains unanswered, the HKS supercharger is interesting to, although id go turbo :thumbs:

Negatives: it may only achieve about 380hp and at low boost..

Are you sure that its ok for RHD cars, I remember reading that some of the ST kits wont work with our cars

Hi all - Good news..i contacted turbonetics in US regarding the fitting issue and they replied below: (tell me what u think of this...)

"Daron as a 350z owner myself and a avid Z nut I can say I have a customer in South Africa who I sold 3 kits too and the kit fit WITH minor modifications. The ECU flash we have will not work with the EURO or JDM ecu’s since our fuel curve is not the same. I do however know the kit I have is safe on a stock motor as I drive mine daily completely stock. Technosquare here in the US could not flash my customers in South Africa ECU but he did use a Trust or Greddy E-manage with complete success. I also checked the link in your email and came across a turbo thread which claims our kit is not safe on a stock block. The HP gains are 450 CRANK not wheel and I have seen anywhere from 360-390 wheel HP depending on the dyno. I hope this clarifies and confusion and hopefully you can pass this info to your mates on the UK Z forums and I hope to see some of my kits in the UK."

Ed Mendez

Sales / Tech

Turbonetics Inc.

2255 Agate Court

Simi Valley, Ca 93065

Ph: 805-426-3420

Fax: 805-584-1913