Slide the Z

Zedrush

Sorry break away from the how hard do you drive your Z, one question I always wanted to know the answer to, is how do you slide the rear end of your Z, Ive only done it by accident. :blush:

I watch films where they do heel toe movement on the break and accelerate (think you need to be double jointed for this move as its impossible to get my feet in that position)

I also see people do the handbrake turn.

Nismo-Nissan_350Z_Drift_Car_2004_80.jpg

What is the correct or best movement for this and step by step progress to perform such a move.

Also what damage or wear apart from tyres would this have on the car?

What is the correct or best moement for this

NOT on a public road, but preferably an empty carpark ;)

and step by step progress to perform such a move.

The easiest, turn and somewhere during the turn just push hard on the accelerator. The car will spin out. Now repeat this but with a little less pushing on the accelerator until you can keep it sliding. Simple as that .... (the theory that is, controlling a slide takes a lot of practice). There are a lot of ways to slide. Search on google for some videos of "the drift king", there is a video of about 1h out there with him explaining all kinds of slides and drifts

It puts quite some stress on some parts of the suspension/... of the car as you have forces on it sideways. If you want to play i suggest doing this in wet weather because it will slide more easily, and it will be at lower speeds and less abrupt.

If you want training then either CAT or drifting/rallying schools would be able to help.

You could try this (at your own risk of course):

Find big island with no other traffic.

Need traction control off.

Go round in a low gear, induce oversteer with throttle and apply opposite lock as needed.

If it is wet you can achieve this at lower speed.

An airfield track day allows you to play with understeer/oversteer in relative safety.

You could hit something hard like a tree or barrier and that would be bad :teeth::p

I have a divx somewhere that has the different drift techniques, remind me and I'll bring it to Phil's on a CD for ya :thumbs:

Few methods include handbrake, dropping the clutch and general booting the throttle :drive1

I have a big road outside my house :teeth: Limiter does it all the time but wont tell me :rant:
Seriously, your road is big, but for someone who will not be able to control a slide, its not that big.

If you are going to Birmingham on the weekend, go to the Arena carpark in coventry off the A444, HUGE carpark opposite :thumbs:

best thing to do is slowly build up to it. TC off, get on an empty car park. Drive slowly at say 10mph (will help with controlling the car and your less likely to hit anything) then apply some lock and mash the throttle at the same time. As the car starts to drift start to apply some opposite lock and use your throttle and steering to control the slide.

I used to practice coming out of junctions as most of the time you can keep the throttle down and just use the steering to control the slide and straighten up. Saw plenty of people doing it on the Wales run :teeth:

Start at low speeds and build up.

I have a big road outside my house :teeth: Limiter does it all the time but wont tell me :rant:

Why was this movement invented, is it just for looks or does it really save time on corners?

generally speaking drifting/sliding will not be the quickest way round a corner (on tarmac at least - except in a real hairpin maybe)! but it does look good of course :lol:

you dont see F1 drivers drifting (much).. ;)

Why was this movement invented, is it just for looks or does it really save time on corners?

generally speaking drifting/sliding will not be the quickest way round a corner (on tarmac at least)! but it does look good of course :lol:

you dont see F1 drivers drifting.. ;)

You need to watch Race of Champions then! Theyd drift round nearly every corner :teeth:

Your right though, drifting isnt the fastest way.

But didnt the Drift King in Japan win all his races by drifting?

http://www.driftclub.com/DriftKing.htm

Enter the Drift King. Drifting a car through a corner is not the fastest way around most turns any racecar driver will tell you strait out. This is where Keiichi Tsuchiya was crowned the Dori Kin or Drift King. In Option drift contests; style and technique are evaluated for exhibition values. Lately contests have been judged on racing lines and setup for multiple corner drifting, this is more difficult.

You can do it off the power, but its actually more controllable using "clutch kick" - load the suspension up (i.e start going round a roundabout) and then just kick the clutch in enough so the revs rise up - its literally a stab rather than a kick.

This will cause the rear wheels to lose traction, so you need to be ready with the opposite lock :D Its actually easier to let go of the wheel and just feed the opposite lock in by letting the wheel pass through one hand - the car will apply its own op lock automatically.

Then its a case of keeping it sideways by balancing the throttle against the weight - its difficult to do this without practise on a constant throttle so blipping it is probably best to start with :thumbs:

With a little practise, you can quickly reach the point that you can do a 2nd gear (private) roundabout consistently until you run out of fuel. Faster stuff takes bigger balls, and is more likely to end in tears when you hit a kerb and fold the wheels up under the car :headhurt: Not that Ive ever doen that you understand.

S'funny - as you practise drifting more you find you are doing less and less - it goes from wild jazz hands type steering motions to never actually moving the wheel more than 15 degrees, then letting the car do the work. Everyone should buy a driftcar and practise IMO :D