garage **** up ----Foreign body in gearbox

Mr Night

Right so short background. My gearbox like many Zed's is a little loud. And I had been going through my service manual and noticed that gearbox oil should be changed about every 36k miles so I thought screw it I need a garage service I may as well have that done and have a grade thicker oil put into the gearbox at the same time.

Well the garage was replacing the gearbox oil the equipment they used to put the new oil in lost a small plastic nozzle in the gearbox.

It was about 3 inches long and 1.5 inches at it's widest.

They have not been able to retrieve it through the sump and have so far said it "probably wont do any damage" and "Will just sink to the bottom of the gearbox" I'm not overly happy with this. And have so far got them looking at getting it out again this Thursday. I'm no mechanic and besides normal oil changes. bulbs, etc leave mechanics up to professionals but this idea of "It should be fine" doesn't sit well.I am wondering what other peoples opinions are on if i should be insisting they get the thing out from the gearbox and inspect to see if its done any damage internally..

Logically: It's lightweight plastic, so will float, not sink. And it'll get churned up by the gears, then chewed up over time.

I would imagine it's entirely possible for it to get jammed between the gears shunting back and forth.

I'd want it out of there.

Im no Mystic Meg, but my crystal ball predicts this is either Kwik Fit or Halfords ''mechanics''

I would quite simply refuse to drive it out of their garage until its resolved. its no different (in terms of process) to putting in Diesel in your tank: dont drive anywhere. get it fixed first.

otherwise, your return trip on thursday will be via AA Recovery!!

Make a note of EVERY phone call you have with them. if (when!) your gearbox fails they will no doubt try to deny it was any fault of theirs. it might get messy. (been in similar situations myself).

They could easily keep the car for a couple of days, then tell you they removed it, when in reality they didn't touch it.

I'd put a couple of stealthy scratch marks on a few bolts to see if they've actually been undone.

I worked in the motor trade for 20 years, private and dealerships, hence my healthy cynicism.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 2

^always useful to 'pop in' for an update when such things are being carried out.

We get it all the time at our place....provided people don't mind hearing hither to unheard of levels of swearing we're quite happy for them to pop in.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 1