HalFRAUDS indeed...

Ash87

So we took my girlfriends car to get it's MOT last Friday as she is selling it this Saturday.

At halfords by the way...

Unfortunately the car failed for 2 x things.

1) number plate bulb holder £25.82 plus Vat plus fitting

2) passenger side rear seatbelt buckle "broken" £78 plus vat plus fitting.

I thought, in not having that, over £100 for a car we are part ex'ing in.

So I had a look at this so called faulty number plate light holder. It turned out it was just a bulb. (£0.75) the idiot didn't know how how to remove a bulb, or they are just rip off merchants.

The seatbelt buckle, I took it apart, put the spring back in place and hey presto it works.

Ash 1 Halfords NIL!!!!!

Saved over £100 there.

• Like 4

If the one in Reading is anything to go by, they only employ real high class staff that like to stand around outside in groups, havin' a fag, and leering at women in nice cars. Apparently I warrant heckles like "playboy" when I visit Screwfix (opposite them) they were lucky I wasn't purchasing a staple gun last Friday!!!!

Seriously, find your GF a decent mechanic at a reputable garage!

We're going to go back tomorrow for "free retest" part ex it in, done.

She getting an Audi A1 on Saturday, from now on we'll just go there for the mot.

Just need to find somewhere to take the Zed for it's MOT in March.

Just find a good local independent garage in future. See if any friends can recommend someone local who's trustworthy from their experience would be my advice. ;)

Fyi ~ If you start modifying your Zed & need a decent tuner you're only probably an hour or so away from TDi North judging by your location. B)

Link: http://www.tdi-north.com/contact-us

Your local council depot will mot public cars, but they do not carry out repairs, so there is no incentive to fail. My local is bookable online where you can choose day and time slots. Even early morning if you need it (07:30). No need to risk it with the other chancers.

Haha I had a banana arm rattle... Took my car to them and instead of pointing the the ball joint hanging off they said its my clutch hahahaha we all know how the clutch is not the quietest of things. If yo don't know halfords just say you cowboy waank

I just had my stereo replaced by them, DAB installed and connect up the rear speakers ...... install stereo OK, but DAB and rear speakers don't work (took them 4hours to get this far, though in fairness - the harness looked home made) ...took it back to "finish" the job ... they had to replace the rear speakers as both originals were blown!, the plastic housing that runs over the top of the entire set up now doesn't sit right, there's a stress point (white star) where clearly something is sitting (screw/nut?) not allowing it to sit back correctly.

WHAT was I thinking! .. :( now have to replace said "rear deck trim"

Rhymes with thats :(

Edited by Jud1

Only good for selling pushbikes. Wanted some extended Rca cables, the shelf was empty and asked if any out the back, only to be told, if they have them in stock they will be on the rail location. I pulled out the grey drawers under the shelving where they keep overflow stock and immediately saw three of them. Took one back to that salesman who turned out was the manager and showed him, with no reply. MUPPETS :bang:

• Like 1

Whenever I go in to buy a bulb they always ask if I need help fitting it (for £7!!!). Do they say that to their male customers also or are they just being patronising? Bet I'd end up needing a complete rewire and probably a new clutch if I let them change my bulb....

The 17yr old music centre expert tried to tell me that it was impossible to replace the radio in the Scooby without cutting a big hole in the fascia first, luckily I declined his help and lol and behold it did fit without any carving.....a miracle duh!

They do sell nice Scooters though, and you can leave the kids to play on them and pick them up a couple of hours later ;)

• Like 2

Could never bring myself to let someone from Halfords touch my car. If someone is going break bits of trim and round off fittings on my pride and joy, its going to be me!

Edited by Jumzo
  • Like 1

Only time I ever go to halfords is if i need a specific tool as their "professional" and "advanced" tools are really good quality. Other than that I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. Their prices are always 2 or 3 times more expensive than the local discount store.

Halfords, Kwik-Fit, take your pick from the rest of the "fast-fit" mob, if you don't have your wits about you they will take you for a ride. It has been proven over and over again!

Unless you have a puncture and you're 100 miles from any other local reputable garage I wouldn't set foot in any of them.

I remember being forced into one when I had a company car a few years ago and hearing them tell a costomer that her brake pads need replaced because they were 55% worn! AAAAAAAGHH they make my blood boil.

I'll add Arnold Clark to that list too. Robbing, arrogant, incompetent b.......

Edited by fatrab

Halfords, Kwik-Fit, take your pick from the rest of the "fast-fit" mob, if you don't have your wits about you they will take you for a ride. It has been proven over and over again!

Unless you have a puncture and you're 100 miles from any other local reputable garage I wouldn't set foot in any of them.

I remember being forced into one when I had a company car a few years ago and hearing them tell a costomer that her brake pads need replaced because they were 55% worn! AAAAAAAGHH they make my blood boil.

Tbf ATS Euro master have been fair with me even fitted a set of tyres for free at king lynn depot as i was at a drift day and the tyre guy just left at 11am so had to try and find a place to fit them locally at 12pm on a Saturday when every where was closing , then again when i had the mpss fitted at my house, as he didnt have to remove my wheel from the car he fitted a set of tyres on another set of wheel for free

• Like 1

and hearing them tell a costomer that her brake pads need replaced because they were 55% worn! AAAAAAAGHH they make my blood boil.

I remember being in National Tyres once to have some tyres id bought online fitted to my car. Whilst I was there they had a delivery of dozens and dozens of brake pads & discs. I remember wondering what was going on, until the tyre fitter casually mentioned to me "your pads are getting a bit low mate, do you want to book in to have us change them". What he didnt realise was that id actually fitted brand new pads 2 weeks earlier myself, so there was no way on earth they were low. I dread to think how many non-car-savvy people they con with that line. "Brakes??? omg... really! Id best have them done asap then"

• Like 1

I remember being in National Tyres once

My local National Tyres (Kingston) was pretty good when I got new tyres about 2-3 years ago, took good care of the alloys, nicely hidden weights etc. However, last year I needed new rears before an MOT, I'd arranged for them to get Yoko AD08Rs in the right size and after I was told they'd arrived turned up on the morning of the MOT to get them fitted. It was only when he was half way through fitting the second tyre I had a look at realised he was fitting some budget (ish) Yokos!! I pointed it out and they said they didn't have the AD08s and what I wanted to do. To be fair to them, they didn't actually complain or try to charge me for the time fitting both the wrong and my original tyres... but still.

Tbf ATS Euro master have been fair with me even fitted a set of tyres for free at king lynn depot as i was at a drift day and the tyre guy just left at 11am so had to try and find a place to fit them locally at 12pm on a Saturday when every where was closing , then again when i had the mpss fitted at my house, as he didnt have to remove my wheel from the car he fitted a set of tyres on another set of wheel for free

I'm sure there's good branches and some quality techs out there but I'veseen with my own eyes and heard so many other peoples stories for it to just be a few isolated incidents.

I've bought tools from halfords too when their flash sales are on, I just wouldn't let them put a spanner near my car

Whenever I go in to buy a bulb they always ask if I need help fitting it (for £7!!!). Do they say that to their male customers also or are they just being patronising? Bet I'd end up needing a complete rewire and probably a new clutch if I let them change my bulb....

The 17yr old music centre expert tried to tell me that it was impossible to replace the radio in the Scooby without cutting a big hole in the fascia first, luckily I declined his help and lol and behold it did fit without any carving.....a miracle duh!

They do sell nice Scooters though, and you can leave the kids to play on them and pick them up a couple of hours later ;)

No they ask me the same thing whenever I buy a bulb from them and I'm a man. I do try to avoid the place if possible though and their tools aren't too bad.