Installed Supercharger & now won't start!

fsrowsell

Good day all, Just finish installing a Stillen stage 3 supercharger on my 04 350z and now the engine won't start.

It looks like I am not getting any power to the ECU. When I turn the key on I do not get a CEL light, no prime from the fuel pump, Fans come on, and the red light on the dash stays on.

After doing a search on here, I saw a post back in 09 started by AndyRigby. He was having a similar problem. On post #49, Mark suggested to check power going to PINs 109,119,120, & 121. I did this and I am not getting any power to these PINs! Not even to the permeant power PIN 121.

What would be stopping power going to the ECU wiring harness?

Cheers

Felix

Without a lot more info it's a bit hard to diagnose - did you fit any sort of aftermarket ECU?

However my first thought is you have shorted something out and blown a fuse start with the big set in the positive connector from the battery and work back from there.

Was the battery removed during the installation? You can just fry the ECU if your not careful bit more info and myself and a few other members will do our best to help I'm sure.

And Welcome to Forum :wave:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

Cheers for the welcome!

Yes the battery was removed for the install. I had to unplug the ECU and pull it up into the engine compartment. The kit required me to splice into a couple of sensor wires in order to piggy back a controller unit that comes with kit. I have triple checked these splices and they are OK.

I will start checking fuses in the front compartment. Are there any other locations for fuses?

Cheers

Yes, I read that on the forum , which directed me to check the power supply going to the ECU. This is when I discovered that I have no power to the ECU.

Hi Felix,

Welcome to the forum!

Fans on immediately after you turn the key on usually means something wrong with the ECU.

OK Checked all the fuses. Found one dead 15A for the IGN & ECCS CONT. Replaced, but did not make any differance.

Tried this little test of found on the net for checking if your IPDM is good or not. Mine failed the test!

The test was: With the left door open, turn the key to ON position and within 20 seconds press the black button inside side of door jam 10 times(this button is for the dome light and chime). Then turn of key and within 10 seconds your horn should chirp if your IPDM is working correctly. If not it is bad and needs to be removed and checked over or replaced.

So, my next step is to tray and remove the IPDM box.

Well the blown 15Amp was a good start - shame it didn't solve the problem :(

Heard about the test for the IPDM but never tried it also heard mixed results, I know Harryjax (or his son) had a similar fail it turned out to be a sticky relay that kept blowing fuses I think.

Back to you, more fuses in the box in front of the battery and behind the battery plus more in the drivers foot-well on the right behind the little black cover (assumes RHD)

Fans coming on as Torquen has said can be ECU fault but also if the dash is removed and the little white box behind the AC controls (ribbon cable) is out or not connected the internal fans will come on full blast with ignition on, not sure which fans you were referring to.

I would suggest you carry on looking for blown fuses if possible remove the piggy back just for the test start if you need an IPDM or even an ECU I would suggest giving Zmanalex on here a shout but if you do need a new ECU you are going to have to look at Uprev or similar to get the NATS removed/disabled or get get keys etc recoded.

Keep us informed of the progress, where are you based?

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

Good morning all, I'm located in Canada, so my day is just starting :)

I now have access to the cars wiring diagrams, which i'm sure will help me to trace my problem.

I have reverted her back to the original wiring without the piggy back for the SC kit and it was the same results. I have triple checked my splicing of the SC kit unit and I am confidant that I have done it correctly. I even had a mate check it with me.

Today I am going to trace the power wires coming from the ECU to it's source, to see what's stopping it from flowing correctly. I have put on meter on the power PINs on the ECU harness (119,120, &121) with the key on and concluded that there is no power going to them.

I'll keep everyone info'd on my findings.

cheers

Mine is to the right of the steering wheel, directly below in the footwell area. I guess yours would be under your steering wheel too. Diagram below for you.

fuse%20box_zpsab9afq8r.gif

Edited by Payco

Cheers mate, but unfortunately all fuses there are good. Everything is pointing to a bad IPDM!

Mine is to the right of the steering wheel, directly below in the footwell area. I guess yours would be under your steering wheel too. Diagram below for you.

fuse%20box_zpsab9afq8r.gif

Will, I've come the the conclusion that it is indeed my IPDM that is at fault! I have power going into the IPDM but, no power coming out to the ECU. To prove this further, I put power to wire going to PIN 120 and I am getting power to the ECU! I have a IPDM on order and should receive it in a couple of day. Stay tuned for update!

Cheers

Felix