What Dremel?

ZeppoJeff

Looking at getting myself a dremel as it just seems like a good bit of kit to have and be a big help when it comes to installing a FRS or upgraded toe bolts etc.

Thing is there is some many so what peoples opinions on them and what do people already have and rate?

I bought a cheap one from Toolstation,

Silverline if I remember. It didn't last 5 minutes. I now have a Black and Decker Wizard that has had some real abuse on restoring the Jag and still going strong.

Edited by leonk

Personally I wouldn't recommend anything other than an authentic Dremel.

I've got a Dremel "Multi-Pro 395" which I've had for probably a decade now. Has never let me down and I have used it to tackle some pretty serious jobs (cutting stainless steel, mild steel etc).

DREMEL-395RDenl.jpg

I have a load of accessories for it which is another reason to go with the genuine Dremel as there is an accessory to suit every job you could imagine. I have a 90degree head, mini chop saw, router tool, blade sharpener and much more.

Dremel retired the 395 series years ago though now and replaced it with the "3000 series" I believe which is what we use in work for a multitude of tasks.

Also the Dremel "SpeedClic" system they've come out with for their cutting accessories & sanding accessories is fantastic. ;)

Link: http://www.dremel-di...alog/index.html

:thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

Did my whole bay when it was polished with a dremel. Get the best one you can afford with a speed regulator and make sure to get an electric one. The battery charged ones are gutless.

Edited by Payco

I don't qualify as a hardcore user like some of the above, but I've got a Dremel 3000 kit. It came with a small set of Dremel bits, but I also purchased a large multi-set of non-Dremel multi-tool bits which were cheap, and in hind sight, much worse quality. I think I'd buy branded Dremel accessories/bits next time. For small cutting jobs and delicate polishing Dremel 3000 is great and a good size. As Payco said above, mains powered (like the 3000 or 4000) is best.

Big stuff, e.g. de-rusting front and rear under braces, is better with a wire wheel attached to a mains black and decker drill.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

Are you looking for a mains powered tool or an air powered one, if your looking for an electric one the best you can get is Dremel. IF your after an air powered one then there are several different types but its worth paying a bit more for a quality one.