Drifting - next step....

nowhereboy

Ok so since yesterday I've officially got the drifting bug! I drove the "learn to drift" 200sx and actually managed to perform quite well considering it was my first attempt.

It's safe to say i want to get into drifting but I'm looking at how realistic this is financially. I didn't get as much time as I'd have liked behind the wheel yesterday so while the learn to drift classes are a decent introduction to drifting I don't feel like it's a great way to become good at it quickly.

I know some people on here drift in their own cars and this is something I'd like to do. Are their any particular events or tracks suitable for this? I've had a good search but most links lead to drift classes where you drive certain cars and they have very limited seat time etc.

My main concern is how hard on the Z this will be, I simply can't afford forking out for clutches, new tyres and brakes every other month. I should imagine the Z is an expensive car to maintain for drifting but I don't really know what sort of costs to expect?

On my way home from teeside yesterday I had a little play in the Z and it feels well balanced for drifting in stock form, I'm running pretty wide wheels, lower springs and light flywheel, so at this stage further modifying doesn't seem necessary. Saying that removing as much weight as possible seems like a good call but the car is still my daily so I don't want to go mental. Will stripping the spare wheel and plastic trim out the back help at all? The 200sx I drove yesterday was stripped bare and felt very light, it made the car great fun to drive and it felt way faster than the Z even tho it was only running about 260bhp.

So yea, any advice, tips or help on where I go from here would be great. I'd like to hear from anyone who drifts the 350Z from this forum :thumbs:

I had a go in a 200sx at Santa Pod a couple of months ago. loved the drfting, but made me even more afraid to do it on the road. would die if i scratched my car.

but there are a few guys that do it as a serious hobby.

i'm sure they will be along soon to tell you the costs. :)

DO NOT DRIFT ON THE ROAD

its just not worth it.

regarding drifting of a Z it depends on your style of drifting, if you love to clutch kick alot you will go through clutches rather fast

The only time i have found my self having to clutch kick is doing FBS there is more than enough power in the 350z to drift the likes of norfolk arena and santapod (most beginner tracks) without clutch kicking

If you just want to learn how to control your z sideways i dont think you could go to wrong with the Drift days at Olton park i have no done it myself but i know DJtimo done it recently

As you wont have to clutch kick and you wont go through tyres as the track is damped

the best modification for drifting the Z is a 2way diff or Welder and a good bucket seat and harness IMO, im sure docrwa, aliveboy etc will be able to give you there ideas on whats best.

Cost lets talk cost lol

i have gone through about £1500 of tyres this year, you can do it cheaper if you have a garage willing to give you part worns and the space to carry them for, i found i was spending money getting tyres changed over at Drift days etc when in the end ended up cost the same as getting a new Budget pair and burning them, although as i have progressed i have been able to tell the different better crap tyres and good tyres, and if you like the speed and smoke like i do i would rather spend the extra £10-20 a tyre on getting a more enjoyable day

i haven't had 1 issue drifting my Z other than my last round of FBS i think my clutch slave finally started to give up so that will needed replacing

you can drift a Stock Z fine

http://vimeo.com/51714471

Or you can go out and start spending silly money on roll cages, steering lock kits fancys diffs etc if your really start to peruse it

and end up with what bizz has, a monster of a Z

Edited by StevoD

problem is a 350z will be an expensive car to drift in, unless you have a ready supply of 18" tyres - you'll go through a set of rears in a day quite easily at somewhere like santa pod drift days.

if you really want to learn to drift, buy the cheapest, rattiest BMW 3 series you can for tuppance, and weld the diff up. total outlay, maybe £500? then you can beat on it all day long and not worry about hitting cones, barrels, walls, other cars etc, breaking gearboxes, clutches, drivelines, wheels etc etc. as with drifting its not IF a part will break, but WHEN.

heck, buy a cheap beemer with some mates for an even smaller outlay! but yeah, don't drift your pride and joy as you'll more than likely ruin it - same reason I have a separate track car.

• Like 1

Thanks Pritchard.

My cars always been kept as clean as possible so bumping and damaging the Z is also a bit of a concern, realistically tho it's inevitable if i want to drift in it, I guess that's something I'd just have to get over :lol:

drift cars dont stay mint if you dont want marks on your car buy a cheap bmw or similar to learn in

because stuff like this happens

11821235_668132886656575_1878995159_n.jpg

The z drifts great but the standard VLSD can be quite unpredictable and cause a spin or crash, I know I've done it a few times lol. Like stevo says don't drift on the road, we used to got out late at night doing it until I ended up rolling my z. I was lucky to walk away from it when u seen what happened. Apparanyly the cases on the diff can crack with a welded diff but I've also heard of guys running them for years with no problems. Mine is getting welded next week so il see how I get on. Also tein tie rods are a good upgrade for a bit more lock. Things like coilovers and poly bushes all help but not essential. I was drifting in a z with standard setup 2 weeks ago and was surprised at just how good it was after driving a heavily modified one for so long

• Like 1

The z drifts great but the standard VLSD can be quite unpredictable and cause a spin or crash, I know I've done it a few times lol. Like stevo says don't drift on the road, we used to got out late at night doing it until I ended up rolling my z. I was lucky to walk away from it when u seen what happened. Apparanyly the cases on the diff can crack with a welded diff but I've also heard of guys running them for years with no problems. Mine is getting welded next week so il see how I get on. Also tein tie rods are a good upgrade for a bit more lock. Things like coilovers and poly bushes all help but not essential. I was drifting in a z with standard setup 2 weeks ago and was surprised at just how good it was after driving a heavily modified one for so long

is your name steven?

is your name steven?

Yeah man. Did you see it on Facebook?

For me, there simply arent enough events or circuits to be worth it anymore, youre better off sliding about on grip days and trying not to get black flagged :lol:

But if I was going to do it all again, Id use a standard Zed with coilovers, seat and some kind of diff .........thats it. Id nick partworn tyres off local garages, IMO youre mad to spend money on tyres unless youre competing and Id try and make it to Lydden Hill and Driftland as much as humanly possible, as we always used to say its all about seat time. If you didnt already have a 350 then Id be telling you to buy an E36 and learn your trade, but if youre prepared to bend the Zed a bit then they are bloody excellent drift cars for sure.

Dont get carried away and spend £1000's on your car, leave the interior and sound deadening in so its still nice to drive to and from events and apart from tyres you realistically will only need tobudget for a clutch a season, youll spend more on fuel and entry fees than the car itself I reckon.

It is a proper laugh and theres a real camaraderie between drifters, its just a shame that we have lost a lot of the tracks we used to have back in the day. Once youre decent a bit of streeto once in a while doesnt hurt either, I still amuse myself from time to time on the daily commute ;)

Its a proper skill, once that can always make you smile and also teaches you masses about car control - all of the fastest trackday boys I know are ex-drifters as they have a better understanding of balance, and laugh in the face of death rather than panicking, in the wet you can spot the lads who have a bit of dori under their belts a mile off ;)

Get involved, its probably worth a bit more instruction ad for that Id highly recommend my good friend Chunk at Flatout Factory despite his lack of limbs :lol: