350z House Decorating Thread

harryjackson

Expect to do more than you think.

We have just bought our 1st house, thought it was just going to need to be redecorated and then move in.

Turned out we needed a full rewire (2.5k), which then lead to the whole house needing plastering (2.9k), then decided we should replace the fire place for something more modern (3k) then flooring for the whole house (3k). we made the stupid decision to decorate ourselves, Biggest mistake we made. If I did this again I would get someone in to paint. Had to sand down all the woodwork which was a horrible dusty job. All this whilst working 12 hour days like most of us.

Had the house 3 months now and not spent a single night in it yet. Can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's been stressful at times.

Also if you can, do as ekona says and run data cable. I have run cat 6 around the house which is a bit over kill at present but I thought I would future proof, and now get 72mbs out of the wall in every room. Actually enjoyed wiring everything. If you want to see some pics of the transformation have a look at my Instagram jimboy2

Wow sounds like a big project. Did you not have a survey done before buying the home as most of that would have been picked up on the survey?

How much was it to have the Ethernet ports wired into to your home? When I viewed the property it does have Ethernet built in but don't know what category it is EG, cat 5 or cat 6. I'm not too upto date on Ethernet but I do use it with my play station and its considerably faster.

I'll check out your Instagram too :-) thanks

Yeah the electrics were picked up as something that would need to be done at some point, so made the decision to just get it done now.

I did all the data myself. 60 quid in cable and then about 200 ish for the rest of the stuff. Had to have a different set up to most as I haven't used a conventional data cabinet. I need to hide it all behind a radiator cupboard so have had to use a wall mounted rack.

That sounds relativity cheap!! I might contact you for some tips when I'm in the house. You have a few likes on your Instagram now. Loving the fire. What is the grey paint you used? Very smart!!

Just outside Portsmouth

Top colour is Chic shadow, bottom is warm pewter. All dulux stuff. Yeah give me a shout whenever mate and I will tell you anything I know.

Paint looks awesome. Brill you're a top bloke!! Where abouts are you based bud?

Definetely agree with the comments of live in the house for at least 6 months before you decorate or buy larger items of furniture if you can.

Many ideas you initially have will change over this time as you come to realise what really is most important. For now, use sturdy boxes for side tables etc if you need them etc etc. Charity shops and Secondhand shops and Freecycle (on the Internet) are excellent for getting you through without major expense.

Expect everything to cost more than you thought and sadly take longer too.

Remember the finish on a job is only as good as the prep work you put into it. !!

If you have a garden consider starting with that, you enjoy the summer/autumn now and so it is growing, while you think what to do in the house, it will also be more ready for next summer.

Consider when ready, buying items in bulk, so all the kitchen appliances, bedroom furniture etc - gives you more buying power with pricing.

Beds consider buying a mattress with a frame, means you always have the frame as a piece of furniture to sell if you get bored with it.

Regarding colours inside the house - the colours that flow will make the house look better overal, whether walls, carpets, or other flooring etc.

Exciting times, just remember to live as well !!! :D

Edited by Wendy
  • Like 3

Gradually been working through the whole house (4 beds etc) and after some trial and error come to learn as a DIYer that:

1) having some decent power tools for stuff like replacement skirtings is an absolute must - mostly Makita when offers have been on.

2) For getting it done with the least hassle I use the water based paints for ease of cleaning on the previously painted woodwork. After several makes/combinations tried at the early stages I have found the Dulux quick dry undercoat before 2 coats of the Dulux quick dry brilliant white satinwood (we don't like gloss) gives a great finish and using decent rollers & brushes - such as Purdy is giving me the best results. I'm hoping the 'yellowing' with age that has been associated with solvent based paints will be avoided. ;)

3) having found the walls/ceilings have never been properly sealed, including the first floor loft conversion done some 12 years ago, I use Albany solvent wall sealer and just throw away the cheaper brushes/rollers used rather than cleaning up.

4) tended to use Albany emulsions on the walls and whatever white emulsion in large tubs is available at discounted prices for the ceilings and cupboards.

5) a few tubs of Tou Pret for filling holes that I find works far better and easy to rubdown than any of the popular fillers :unsure:

6) to get the walls as smooth as I can, a couple of large tubs of skim plaster have come in very handy.

7) and one hand tool that has been an absolute godsend is the Purdy 6 in 1 combination - so many uses http://www.screwfix....tion-tool/67975

I have found when I go on the tinternet pro sites for tips there is rarely a consensus so I go with what suits me best. :)

Oh, the joys of retirement :sweat::lol:

• Like 1

Gradually been working through the whole house (4 beds etc) and after some trial and error come to learn as a DIYer that:

1) having some decent power tools for stuff like replacement skirtings is an absolute must - mostly Makita when offers have been on.

2) For getting it done with the least hassle I use the water based paints for ease of cleaning on the previously painted woodwork. After several makes/combinations tried at the early stages I have found the Dulux quick dry undercoat before 2 coats of the Dulux quick dry brilliant white satinwood (we don't like gloss) gives a great finish and using decent rollers & brushes - such as Purdy is giving me the best results. I'm hoping the 'yellowing' with age that has been associated with solvent based paints will be avoided. ;)

3) having found the walls/ceilings have never been properly sealed, including the first floor loft conversion done some 12 years ago, I use Albany solvent wall sealer and just throw away the cheaper brushes/rollers used rather than cleaning up.

4) tended to use Albany emulsions on the walls and whatever white emulsion in large tubs is available at discounted prices for the ceilings and cupboards.

5) a few tubs of Tou Pret for filling holes that I find works far better and easy to rubdown than any of the popular fillers :unsure:

6) to get the walls as smooth as I can, a couple of large tubs of skim plaster have come in very handy.

7) and one hand tool that has been an absolute godsend is the Purdy 6 in 1 combination - so many uses http://www.screwfix....tion-tool/67975

I have found when I go on the tinternet pro sites for tips there is rarely a consensus so I go with what suits me best. :)

Oh, the joys of retirement :sweat::lol:

That is some brilliant first hand experience right there. I'll be using those tips wisely. Would you definitely recommend applying a base coat before colour? I've been deciding wether not to, for the price is it worth it for the finish?

Thanks Ebized

All the ceilings/covings were painted white but first off I found they and the walls dryed so that it looked patchy, added more coats and still patchy :doh: . Pro advice was to use a plaster sealer which is off-white but it provides an excellent base and in walk-in cupboards for example one coat of white emulsion was fine. But being the perfectionist (as my wife says....but she wears glasses), I do two coats on both the walls and ceilings and sometimes I see imperfections that need some skim plaster during those applications and hence another coat. We are using neutral type colours that is making a huge difference to the 'lightness' within the house that we wanted and the off-white sealer helps to give a uniform finish given some walls had been painted in some awful brighter/darker colours :yuck:

The undercoat I have come to use on the woodwork having found that the new skirtings that come primered, did not like the satinwood and I was puttng on up to 4 coats. Also the original off-white woodwork seems to have been done with a 6" brush fully laden so runs and bumps like no tomorrow. So a lot of rubbing down in places and have found the undercoat is very easy to apply and no issue with two satinwood coats now - huge time (and patience) saving!

:)

• Like 1

No need to base coat/undercoat walls unless you are having problems, two coats of coloured emulsion is fine. If your trying to block out bold colours, buy some cheapo white emulsion and use that first rather than spend money on coloured emulsion.

Being in the trade, acrylic or water based satinwood/gloss is shocking, its a constant gripe that they are trying to phase out oil based paints.

Otherwise some good tips above, expensive brushes (purdy) will make the job much easier and last for ages if you look after them.

Being in the trade, acrylic or water based satinwood/gloss is shocking, its a constant gripe that they are trying to phase out oil based paints.

I'm old enough to remember when decorators were bemoaning the removal of lead-based paints. :surrender:

That said, everything in me had wanted to use the oil based paints and I agree it feels better when applying, but not being pro and working at my own speed and stopping for social days off (as well as not being paid :lol: ), meant I was spending more time the frequent clean ups, especially the rollers. Can't say I'm exactly over the moon with the smell either.......and having just taken a break from using the solvent primer in the ute room :yuck: