Cecil the lion

Flex

It's not exactly "news" that the media hypes stories that could be considered trivial in the grand scheme of things. I, for example, couldn't care less that Prince William and Kate Middleton have had/are having a kid or that she had bad morning sickness. I don't care about the Royals and I don't care about babies, but it was still splashed all of over the TV and newspapers for days when much more important things are happening.

This is a car forum so when the guy from the Fast and Furious films died I don't remember anyone saying it was trivial and not deserving of attention because thousands of people die on the roads every single day. I imagine on a forum about wildlife or conservation this wouldn't be considered trivial - not least becasue there is a much wider issue that we are starting to poach and hunt some species to the brink of extinction, which is far more important news IMO than the death of a celebrity who happened to be in some films about cars, or the fact that a person born with a silver spoon in her mouth has exercised a biological function and given birth to a brat.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

It's not exactly "news" that the media hypes stories that could be considered trivial in the grand scheme of things. I, for example, couldn't care less that Prince William and Kate Middleton have had/are having a kid or that she had bad morning sickness. I don't care about the Royals and I don't care about babies, but it was still splashed all of over the TV and newspapers for days when much more important things are happening.

This is a car forum so when the guy from the Fast and Furious films died I don't remember anyone saying it was trivial and not deserving of attention because thousands of people die on the roads every single day. I imagine on a forum about wildlife or conservation this wouldn't be considered trivial - not least becasue there is a much wider issue that we are starting to poach and hunt some species to the brink of extinction, which is far more important news IMO than the death of a celebrity who happened to be in some films about cars, or the fact that a person born with a silver spoon in her mouth has exercised a biological function and given birth to a brat.

Its funny how we react as human beings isnt it.

and the Paul walker point is a good one or all celebrity and like you say people die on a regular on the roads, But......... Paul walker contributed to something i know of and enjoy so his passing was a message of that will no longer exist,

The difference is like i was having this discussion with my parents the Vast majority of the people on social media etc loosing there @*!# over it had never heard of this lion before untill it was was shown on BBC news where as millions of people have heard of walker or any other celeb for years and have appreciated there work.

But yea like you say there will be people on widelife forums that have followed the movements of Cecil and it will be the same for them as it was for members of the car community felt regarding walker and for them its truly is saddening,

But there was people on this forum going i cant see what the fuss with walker was and as you said there point was people die daily why should this person get the news but when questioned alot of people was not aware of his ROWW foundation etc they just say him as an overpaid actor in something they detested, i guess ignorance is bliss,

But the news seems to be with cecil more based around the protesting and and this man than the actual lion itself

Its not Tragic news cecil the lion is no more

Its this murderer killed a lion

its to focused on the hunter, than the hunted.

Edited by StevoD

Maybe the reason for discussion is one of a moral one, not so much a love of Cecil, is it right to shoot to a lion for fun/sport and many people have used the word, hunted and hunting. I have done a bit of hunting and it didnt involve driving round in a land rover trying to find something to shoot for a laugh, there is actual skill involved in hunting, try driving up into a field of deer and seeing how many hang around for you to take shot.

It saddens me because i think lions (all big cats) are magnificent, but thats as far as it goes, do i think the dentist should die, course not, but i hope he his charged and is facing extradition to face charges.

Its funny how we react as human beings isnt it.

and the Paul walker point is a good one or all celebrity and like you say people die on a regular on the roads, But......... Paul walker contributed to something i know of and enjoy so his passing was a message of that will no longer exist,

The difference is like i was having this discussion with my parents the Vast majority of the people on social media etc loosing there @*!# over it had never heard of this lion before untill it was was shown on BBC news where as millions of people have heard of walker or any other celeb for years and have appreciated there work.

But yea like you say there will be people on widelife forums that have followed the movements of Cecil and it will be the same for them as it was for members of the car community felt regarding walker and for them its truly is saddening,

But there was people on this forum going i cant see what the fuss with walker was and as you said there point was people die daily why should this person get the news but when questioned alot of people was not aware of his ROWW foundation etc they just say him as an overpaid actor in something they detested, i guess ignorance is bliss,

But the news seems to be with cecil more based around the protesting and and this man than the actual lion itself

Its not Tragic news cecil the lion is no more

Its this murderer killed a lion

its to focused on the hunter, than the hunted.

I agree with most of this Stevo.

For whatever reason, some people do feel incredibly strongly about cruelty to animals. Perhaps it's because they are by nature innocent.

I read somewhere once that we are biologically predisposed to favour "cute" animals and that there is something about the shape of the feline face that appeals to people. It's funny - Lions are apex predators, but also quite cute :)

I think to stick an arrow in that poor creature and for it to die in pain (and presumably fear) was horrible, as much for what it says about human nature as anything else. I don't get how killing an amazing animal can be an enjoyable act. Not exactly a fair fight either. Dentist v Lion in a field with no weapons would be fine by me!

For the record - I thought it was a real shame when Paul Walker died. From what I saw and read of him, he seemed like a good bloke.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I agree with most of this Stevo except that you can't really define what is a tragedy for someone else. For some the death of Paul Walker will have been a trajedy for others it's this.

For whatever reason, some people do feel incredibly strongly about cruelty to animals. Perhaps it's because they are by nature innocent.

I read somewhere once that we are biologically predisposed to favour "cute" animals and that there is something about the shape of the feline face that appeals to people. It's funny - Lions are apex predetaros, but also quite cute :)

I think to stick an arrow in that poor creature and for it to die in pain (and presumably fear) was horrible, as much for what it says about human nature as anything else. I don't get how killing an amazing animal can be an enjoyable act. Not exactly a fair fight either. Dentist v Lion in a field with no weapons would be fine by me!

For the record - I thought it was a real shame when Paul Walker died. From what I saw and read of him, he seemed like a good bloke.

i agree my point just came across a bit badly i think,

Regarding "I don't get how killing an amazing animal can be an enjoyable" i can only assume as i dont agree thats its fun is thats how us as human have been raise or developed, To accomplish things above us we always route for the under dog, We all love to see a Z destroy a Lamborghini, so as you say in a even fight a lion would destroy a human so to take down something far superior to you is an adrenaline rush an achievement, i know i will get people saying you can compare these but im going to,

Lion vs man = Lion wins

Lamborghini vs 350z = Lamborghini wins

now

Lion Vs Man + extra power (gun) = Man wins

Lamborghini vs 350z + power(turbos) = 350z win

as car guys we get the thrill from the car point of a view a hunter get its from the animal point of view

Edited by StevoD

Whether he thought he was on a legal hunt or not, whether the lion he shot was wearing a GPS tag and belonged to a conservation programme or not, its all irrelevant.

This man paid a lot of money to travel half way round the world, hunt, and then kill an animal on a threatened species list, so he could hang its head on his wall. Regardless of whether the lion had a name or not (and thats why the story is as big as it is), it takes a special kind of prick to do that.

Had this lion not had a name, and had it been just one of the other 30,000 ish lions out there, he would have got his kill, got the head mounted on his wall and the population of facebook would be non the wiser. Yet he would still have been just as massive a prick for doing it.

Ive been to Africa, Ive seen lions less than 10 metres away. Ive seen Rhino, cheetah, leopards, watched hyena families, seen elephants rearing their young, seen the migration of wildebeast, fed giraffe and all in the wild. Ive got hundreds of photos, and I dont need the heads of any of these animals mounted on the wall of my home to remind me how absolutely amazing that experience was.

Does this man deserve his life destroying for participating in something he thought was perfectly legal? No, probably not, but he seriously needs to be educated to see just how much more beautiful these animals are in the wild than stuffed and mounted on the walls of some no doubt naff victorian style trophy room.

• Like 2

To be fair Stevo I think I misread your original post re the trajedy point - I understood what you were trying to say when I read it properly.

Guess the only difference about the car comparison is we don't have to hurt something to get our kicks :)

Edited by sipar69

Whether he thought he was on a legal hunt or not, whether the lion he shot was wearing a GPS tag and belonged to a conservation programme or not, its all irrelevant.

This man paid a lot of money to travel half way round the world, hunt, and then kill an animal on a threatened species list, so he could hang its head on his wall. Regardless of whether the lion had a name or not (and thats why the story is as big as it is), it takes a special kind of prick to do that.

Had this lion not had a name, and had it been just one of the other 30,000 ish lions out there, he would have got his kill, got the head mounted on his wall and the population of facebook would be non the wiser. Yet he would still have been just as massive a prick for doing it.

Ive been to Africa, Ive seen lions less than 10 metres away. Ive seen Rhino, cheetah, leopards, watched hyena families, seen elephants rearing their young, seen the migration of wildebeast, fed giraffe and all in the wild. Ive got hundreds of photos, and I dont need the heads of any of these animals mounted on the wall of my home to remind me how absolutely amazing that experience was.

Does this man deserve his life destroying for participating in something he thought was perfectly legal? No, probably not, but he seriously needs to be educated to see just how much more beautiful these animals are in the wild than stuffed and mounted on the walls of some no doubt naff victorian style trophy room.

100% With you on all points. :thumbs: