HDMI Splitter

ioneabee

my TV has 1 HDMi port but I have 2 devices needing access - sky box and PS3

so, looking for a 2-1 with a manual switch

anyone have any suggestions / links, things to look for or avoid

as much as I'd like to replace the TV for a higher spec one, her indoors say NO

I bought one from Argos a few years ago which automatically selected which device was on, which I found to be good as you didn't have to fiddle behind the TV every time you needed to change it. Think this was the one, it's now in the loft as we have a new TV.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1087448.htm

Edited by SHEZZA

Tbh, anything will do. Cheaper the better really. The Belkin one looks okay to me.

But really, one HDMI slot on a TV? That's seriously redundant now. You need to be changing that, surely you can man-math it out to the other half? ;)

It won't reduce quality. Digital, not analogue, so it either works perfectly or it basically doesn't work at all.

Make sure it's a powered unit though, not a passive one. Not because of image quality, but because the passive ones are just a bit rubbish and can cause conflicts between units.

But really, one HDMI slot on a TV? That's seriously redundant now. You need to be changing that, surely you can man-math it out to the other half? ;)

believe me......... I've tried

its 37", the picture quality is not brilliant and the sound is bloody awful .......... but her indoors says "it works fine"

and not pushing it as I'm beginning to look around for a replacement for the zed - having real problems finding something that stands out like the zed does tbh :wacko:

I bought one from Argos a few years ago which automatically selected which device was on, which I found to be good as you didn't have to fiddle behind the TV every time you needed to change it. Think this was the one, it's now in the loft as we have a new TV.

http://www.argos.co....ber/1087448.htm

so what happens when both devices are switched on ie the sky box stays on as it might be recording something

believe me......... I've tried

its 37", the picture quality is not brilliant and the sound is bloody awful .......... but her indoors says "it works fine"

and not pushing it as I'm beginning to look around for a replacement for the zed - having real problems finding something that stands out like the zed does tbh :wacko:

What you do is this;

Tell the Mrs to put her feet up.

Offer her a brew and put the kettle on.

Start "tidying" the lounge whilst the kettle boils.

"Notice" that the TV needs dusting whilst tidying.

"Accidentally" knock the TV over with enough force to break it.

When she starts to complain about what you've just done, play the "I was only trying to help" and "I was trying to do something nice for you" cards.

Result;

1) The TV no longer "works fine", ergo NEEDS to be replaced.

2) You'll never be asked to do any dusting (or potentially any tidying) again.

3) You never got round to making that brew either.

• Like 3

so what happens when both devices are switched on ie the sky box stays on as it might be recording something

I'd imagine that you'd only have the PS3 turned on when actually using it and the sky box on permanently. If you was recording something on sky then turned the PS3 on the device would then pick that up and switch over. It wouldn't effect the sky box recording.

I'd imagine that you'd only have the PS3 turned on when actually using it and the sky box on permanently. If you was recording something on sky then turned the PS3 on the device would then pick that up and switch over. It wouldn't effect the sky box recording.

surely it depends on which one it sees as the "master" and one item i've read is that they will always pick the sky box..... which then means I won't be able to see the ps3 unless the sky box is switched off ?

I had a similar issue. We had a first gen Panasonic LCD when I came out of the mob 2004 was cutting edge at the time but over the years there was ghosting but she kept saying nothing wrong with it. It was 1080pi but had the 5 input for HD so became a pain when HDMI came out so we would Have HD ready things we couldn't get the benefit of so I kept saying we need to update to which the answer was nothing wrong with it. Anyhow Christmas last year just went out and got a Brevia 48 inch which is the dogs bollocks her reaction ?

Well let's just say some of you met my new partner Simone last weekend ! 😀

• Like 1