New 350Z odd noise at low revs!

GeorgeW

Now, this is my first 350z, and not sure if its normal - i'm guessing it bad..

So its got a full new exhaust system - motorsport or something like that - I didn't put it on.

Its a 2004 and has done 68,000 miles, has full service history, and an MOT last month with no advisories, and idles fine, with a lowely rumble from the exhaust. Also has plenty of power.

But if I, for example, chug along in 3rd gear at about 2000 revs, and put my foot down, its got a very odd 'metalic' noise, until it gets to about 3500 revs. The rest of the revs are great with no issues and it changes gear fine.

Is this a concern or does the zed just not like very low revs?

George

Is the noise from the rear or does it sound more front end? Firstly check the heat shield above the rear exhaust back box, this one usually goes where the bolt secures it to the underside of the car. A washer usually sorts this. Secondly check the catalytic converters and associated heat shields these are more front biased sounding when in the car.

Also whilst under the car remove any stones from the under trays and any components wide enough to trap them. The Z likes collecting stones. Another area to clean out is the rear arches, this will unlikely be an area that causes noise but a build up of dirt and mud on the inner arch lip can lead to corrosion later on.

• Like 1

thanks for the quick responses. I think it will be a heat shield as well, I will get it up a ramp when I can and check. I don't think its anything serious as handling and performance isn't affected.

• 4 weeks later...