Blackmailed by involved party

saint

No matter how minor an accident you still have to report it to your insurer, however clearly state that you do not want to make a claim and mark the letter for information only:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/ive-been-in-a-car-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance

Once you've done that, I'd call the guys bluff. Give him the details of your insurance and say that you've instructed them that you don't want to make a claim, however if he wishes to proceed with a claim then any further contact should be made through your respective insurance companies, not directly between yourself. Then you'll either get contacted by your insurer or he'll come to his senses and drop it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would just contact and inform him no need to concern himself anymore the case is now being handled by your insurance company, youv'e submitted the detail and the officers credentials and it can all go legal from here. (i know you haven't but chances are he will go to ground).

Like the others say call his bluff and just go legal, send the cockroach back under his rock!!!! :boxing: these idiots tick me off.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Really amazed by the number of replies and good advice everyones given me. I checked with my insurance and he's yet to claim after 3 weeks, but the file still has to stay open until 9 months have passed. I'll find out soon if all this effects my renewal!

• 1 month later...

For certain insurance providers they rate on any incidents that you report to your insurance company. For example, if you report it to your insurance but purely as a notification (you do not wish to proceed through the insurance but to let them know what happened) your policy come renewal will still be rated on and thus will effect your premium as a result.

• 1 month later...

Bad news, the car might have to go because of this. it feels like the worst day of my life. Adrian Flux put me back to 1 years NCB and treat it as a worst case scenario (insurance pays 3rd party) until such date as its' closed. I haven't seen a quote from them yet as it's not due until the 28th of November, but quotes elsewhere are in the £1000's. Even though i'd get the money back, I can't afford it upfront and I can't get enough credit to cover it. So yeah, FML..

I don't see how that works. You admitted you had an accident, fine, you'll have to note that with other insurers. However, you have not made a CLAIM on your policy and so they should issue you with the amount of NCB that you have. If they won't, then I'd be speaking to the ombudsman pretty sharpish.

Perhaps Dan from AF who is on here could look into this for you?

Dan,

I think they are assuming the other party might claim, as said, he apparently has nine months to decide to claim so the insurers are keeping this open, I guess the op has not protected ncb which is why it is taken back to 1 year pending a potential claim.

This sucks but see it from the insurers point of view, they have apparently said they would refund premium if no claim is made (at least that's how I read it)

I hate insurance companies, they're a law to their own sometimes, whatever happened to innocent until proven and all that...(i know that's criminal law not civil).

I had to started proceedings against Churchill insurance a number of years back for failing to investigate my accident properly.

That's why I'm getting a camera.

Dan,

I think they are assuming the other party might claim, as said, he apparently has nine months to decide to claim so the insurers are keeping this open, I guess the op has not protected ncb which is why it is taken back to 1 year pending a potential claim.

This sucks but see it from the insurers point of view, they have apparently said they would refund premium if no claim is made (at least that's how I read it)

Maybe he does, but until he's actually claimed then you do not have a claim on your policy, so the NCB must stand. That's just common sense, and I can't see how any insurer can penalise you for a claim that may or may not happen!

Seriously, I can't see how that can be remotely a fair term in any contract, so I'd be kicking off big time.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

Maybe he does, but until he's actually claimed then you do not have a claim on your policy, so the NCB must stand. That's just common sense, and I can't see how any insurer can penalise you for a claim that may or may not happen!

Seriously, I can't see how that can be remotely a fair term in any contract, so I'd be kicking off big time.

You're wrong I'm afraid Ekona. Kicking off big time would get you absolutely nowhere either.

I hear that very complaint on a monthly basis, insurers will always look at the worst case scenario over the better one in a "what if" situation. That way if it turns out the claim does go ahead and does get settled as a "fault" the insurer doesn't have to run the risk of the customer not coughing up for the extra premium backdated from the renewal date.

Is it fair? Probably not.

Edited by nowhereboy

Dan,

You're wrong I'm afraid Ekona. Kicking off big time would get you absolutely nowhere either.

I hear that very complaint on a monthly basis, insurers will always look at the worst case scenario over the better one in a "what if" situation. That way if it turns out the claim does go ahead and does get settled as a "fault" the insurer doesn't have to run the risk of the customer not coughing up for the extra premium backdated from the renewal date.

Is it fair? Probably not.

Surely they'd just increase the premium as and when the claim was put through/settled? Why would you charge someone for something that may happen in the future... As far as I see it, when he goes to renew a claim hasn't been made so his ncb should remain intact?

Up next: insurance companies hiring Mystic Meg to predict your year ahead and price accordingly.

• Like 3

Playing devils advocate here but I guess the insurers logic is that if the incident did end up resulting in a claim and/or did get settled as a fault the price paid at renewal would not have been based on the right amount of NCB hence my previous statement about backdated additional premiums being necessary. This is because the NCB is normally reduced from the date of the incident and not the date the claim was settled.

So if they base your renewal on full NCB and the claim ends up going ahead they will then have to reduce the bonus backdated from the renewal date and go about collecting the additional premium. it's obviously just easier for them to charge based on worst case scenario and refund if necessary.

Playing devils advocate here but I guess the insurers logic is that if the incident did end up resulting in a claim and/or did get settled as a fault the price paid at renewal would not have been based on the right amount of NCB hence my previous statement about backdated additional premiums being necessary. This is because the NCB is normally reduced from the date of the incident and not the date the claim was settled.

So if they base your renewal on full NCB and the claim ends up going ahead they will then have to reduce the bonus backdated from the renewal date and go about collecting the additional premium. it's obviously just easier for them to charge based on worst case scenario and refund if necessary.

I'll join in with the Devil's advocate :p

What if you had an accident 2 weeks into your policy, would they reduce your NCB on the spot and increase the price for the remainder of the year? I honestly don't know the answer.

If yes: Why doesn't this apply to the current situation as both claims haven't happened yet?

If no: Why doesn't this apply to the current situation as both claims haven't happened yet?

I might be an insurance thicko but it seems like pulling someone's pants down for the sake of it which I'm all for. Just not metaphorically.

@Ekona the ombudsman won't be able to help in this situation, they may listen and sympathize but they won't do anything (I know this from experience). If it went to court and the case was successful I guess it would have to change the way car insurance works in the UK and lets face it, that's unlikely.

@Mouthwash

If you make a claim mid way through the policy the price won't be affected, the premium is based on the information at the time of the policy inception.

I`ll add another couple of points as well just to upset you all.

Once you notify the insurance that you have been involved in an accident they will more than likely load you at renewal even if the other party does not go ahead with the claim.

Reason is you have admitted to being in an accident.

You are also obliged to notify the police of every accident that you have and its then up to them whether they take any further action. I got told this recently by a copper after a family member was involved in a crash. Its the law.

Both points suck but that`s the good old UK for you.

It's no wonder people hide things from insurance companies really. The whole industry should be completely revamped and properly regulated, if the government could be trusted it should be sold by them and not for profit. Saying that I'd be out of a job so maybe that's not such a great idea haha..

• Like 1

You are required to inform the police IF you don't swop details with all interested parties, or if there are injuries, otherwise they dont want / need to know. If you make a claim at any stage during your policy and your car is a total loss the policy generally ends otherwise the policy will only be adjusted at renewal. As said earlier and others have also said, insurance is not fair but you have to see it from their side, it's easier for them to refund an adjustment than Chase an individual, and yes any reported accident will potentially impact future premiums regardless of fault and even if you have protected n.c.b.

• Like 1

You are required to inform the police IF you don't swop details with all interested parties, or if there are injuries, otherwise they dont want / need to know. If you make a claim at any stage during your policy and your car is a total loss the policy generally ends otherwise the policy will only be adjusted at renewal. As said earlier and others have also said, insurance is not fair but you have to see it from their side, it's easier for them to refund an adjustment than Chase an individual, and yes any reported accident will potentially impact future premiums regardless of fault and even if you have protected n.c.b.

Sounds like you're speaking from experience. Do you or have you worked in insurance also?

I was speaking to a copper about this recently and he said in the eyes of the law there is no such thing as an accident. It is a road traffic collision and all of them are meant to be reported to the police and they will then take a view as to whether any further action needs to be taken. He said its the law as it stands.

Obviously they don`t tend to get involved in something that is just a small coming together but if its more serious then they take a view on whether action should be taken to stop it happening again, such as an awareness course. Or they may just prosecute because they feel the outcome requires it and you need to suffer the consequences.

Hopefully he was wrong and you are not obliged to report it. I know i would never involve them unless forced to as they always seem to make matters worse

Edited by gsexr

Going with the out of insurance method,both parties need to be good people and amicable. The other party sounds a bit of a trouble maker. I would tell him you have told your insurance and are letting them deal with it, you will need to inform your insurance company too.

Either, he will take the £200 (if he is resonable) or go via insurance (in which case you have probably saved yourself some hassle)

Idea of free money does werid things to some people.