Jump to content

Wasso

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    13,804
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Wasso

  1. You can web order I believe from Arc Brazing. I was otherwise searching for second hand units for you. Added bonus they normally come with braided hosing. Just watch out for any aftermarket strut brace such as the wide Summit when you have a spacer as they will rub on the bonnet. I used to have a GT Spec and that rubbed as a result of having a spacer. This is why I dropped back to the OEM strut but tarted it up.
  2. The spacer matches well Great work and looking very nice. Something you may want to add to your polishing list, or you may already have it on the list is a polished strut now. I can do you one on an exchange basis, or just provide you some pics instead Here's mine..... PS : I'm still hunting for a V2 ARC for you.
  3. Didn't realise you were there till you past me in the middle lane and then on the slip down to Chiswick roundabout.
  4. That is a cracking tool box you got there. There's probably enough room for Bob to live inside it....... You did say Tool didn't you? Only kidding Bob..... Nice work and bet you feel better for the garage cleanup. Might get a tool box for my new garage I don't have many tools you see
  5. I'd love to spend a day learning some raw stuff. And of course handing you the tools and making a cuppa When I get a spare weekend I'll for sure shout. I need to head north for two reasons so may as well pay a visit.
  6. Fecking hell looks like the structure of the "Smiller" roller coaster. Bet you're glad to get back onto doing some more yourself rather than others.
  7. Cheers guys and the funny bits I seriously can't wait to spread out my car bits, polishing tools and so on. Currently resorting to plastic cupboards in the garden. I'll even be able to polish in warmth and maybe even get a second polisher when the first one gets too warm.
  8. Wasso

    Plenum spacer ?

    Cheers Kyle and Dan. Agreed the 1/2" is only useful if you're boosted. The Motordyne is good, although I improved on their design by making it from a single piece of Aluminium rather than Motordyne who use two parts. They also use a silicon bonding for the gaskets which after a period will breakdown. Well mine did anyway. So I made mine to serve a purpose AND look great and easy to clean. Another benefit over the Motordyne as they leave the laser cut edge bare. This looks mucky and gathers engine grime very easily. £170 delivered to your door with ALL parts supplied. I've supplied 30 now to forum members so far, probably because they look the part. I also ride one, and everything has been perfect since day one. PM me if you're interested and a choice of colour. I currently have Blue, Orange, Red, Gold and Polished.
  9. You're getting there Forget that toothed rusty piece you have unless you want to cut it I'm half You'll need a fresh edged flap wheel to get at the edges of the raised points. Go careful not to lose the shape. I use these (front right) for hard to reach areas. Use a high grit level such as 360 for intricate areas so not to chop into the aluminium too much. Also start concentrating on the edges as they take the longest.
  10. i wouldn't even start at 60. Start with a flap wheel on a drill at about 160grit. Don't forget the drill will outperform human power. So go careful and keep the flap wheel flat against the surface, otherwise you'll dig right into the aluminium. Using the smallest of flap wheels and a high grit level of say around 320 you can then start to shape the mouldings (where the pitting is hardest to remove). Patience is key in this process. Keep tapping away until you've rid yourself of the casting and the pitting. Trust me don't race ahead otherwise you'll only be going back stages to fix what you missed. Pitting is the hardest to remove without creating great big holes or marks. Don't forget you've also got the trick parts around the front and the step all the way round. Patience.......
  11. Remember what I said about prep, well that's the hard part. You need to get to this level before ironing out the areas of pitting. Then once you've removed pitting and you have no heavy grit lines can you then start using the bench polisher. The horrible part as I say is prep, that probably takes half the time of the entire plenum.
  12. Well? Progress?
  13. Sports Steering does it for me
  14. Yup he lives in Chipping Norton and last year we found out which house. Also in residence of Chipping Norton is Kate Moss. Aha never thought of that. The garage is kitted out with halogen lights, perfect for detailing. Its got a heap of storage. Loft storage in the garage as well as a workshop for polishing. I couldn't ask for more. Well, maybe a pit to polish my Zorst Like I say we'll organise a meet etc with drinks and BBQ etc. House pics will come up when we're in. (I've even got a TV and games room )
  15. Well the width is fine camera doesn't capture the width but the length is 15ft so I hope she fits.
  16. Clio Williams?
  17. She will be moving in, in 2 weeks time. She said she can't wait to have a roof over her head. She was also very pleased with the cleaning facilities. Not only that there's a stereo system in the garage. Double win. I didn't take any of the cottage because the garage was more important. How bloody sad is that. Zed warming party to be announced sometime once we've settled in. So we'll all be moving to Hook Norton in 2 weeks time.
  18. Wasso

    Wheel wax?

    Funny you say a 2009 Alpina Bi Turbo took my eye yesterday.
  19. Wasso

    Wheel wax?

    I've not cleaned my rims in over a year. What I mean by that is I spray, leave for five minutes then jet wash off. No wheel sealants or wax needed, I don't need a mitt or even a wheel brush. I swear by the stuff.
  20. I thought the first pic was "mods done" Looks great. A mix of Marzman and Glrnet going on, well the old rear of mr Smurf. Like the rims BTW in that colour
  21. The best part was trying to get 15 Zeds to do a 3 point turn down a single lane track and get out. It was beautifully orchestrated in getting us out, but I Think that's when Colin stepped in It may not have been fun but it was bloody funny.
  22. By hand it will get done but you'll have stumps for fingers and the rest of your life polishing. A mouse sander is only good for the flat areas. You'll never get into the tight. Areas and there's a risk of sanding down the contours too far. Ok here's what you need. A drill Flap wheels 3 sizes from 1/2", 1" and 2". Grit levels needed 120, 240, 360. Wet and dry paper 120, 240, 360, 500 and so on. If you have access to a bench polisher get hold of 2 pop sizes 2" and 6 or 8". In each size you'll need a Sisal, Stitched mop and loose mop. Keep at it and trust me you'll feel defeated for 80% of the process. My first plenum took 30hrs only because I had to learn the process. You'll find out the hard way the issues as you race forward to get it done. I've dealt with a couple of half hearted attempts supplied to me to fix and its all about the prep. If you don't prep the surface correctly you'll rise through grit levels and leave marks in the finish. My plenums leave in top quality mirror finish, if it meets my own standards then I release it. If not I go back a couple of stages with the mops and spend more time getting it perfect. Only another minimum 18.5hrs to go. Maybe this will spur you on a bit...... And here you can see the benefits of using a bench polisher. Which on the left is upto 500 grit and the right side is the full range of mops from cut, cut/finish, finish. Keep at it
×
×
  • Create New...