Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. I never said I was advocating a car show about cars? I was simply commenting based on my view that a highly branded TV show losing one of its key presenter is unlikely in my opinion to suddenly fall over and plummet into extinction. From what I have heard of 5th Gear, its content is nothing like TG, but by removing JC etc. its unlikely TG would become 5thG and simply the BBC would retain the other elements of the show and replace the presenters - yes people agree the presenters make it but as they have never really seen anything else they are unlikely to comment otherwise - already we have seen on here an appetite for Chris Evans etc. is JC irreplaceable? I am not convinced he is. Many TV shows made off the back of individuals 'made it' despite those individuals leaving because they replaced the actors accordingly and used the brand strength of the show.
  2. I fully understand how copyright works, thanks for trying to be so condescending I am not asking for an explanation, i am asking you to provide evidence that the format is copyrighted, i look forward to reading it Do you honestly believe people watch TG just because its called TG?? You seem to make reference to people not wanting to watch the show (for varying reasons), i am sure you are aware of the figures, its clearly not the case, yourself, Ekona etc wanting to watch a "car show" are in the minority and if you did want to watch a car show, why not watch 5th Gear, thats a car show, but its ratings are shocking, hence why its moved to Discovery. No you are missing the point that TG is a brand, the logo, the name, the content the music at the start, everything. Of course people stop watching programmes, they do all the time, just because a show has 5m viewers each week doesnt mean its the same 5m each week thats just naive to think. People drift in and out of programmes for lots of reasons - do people watch Eastenders because its got a bunch of actors in it they like or because its Eastenders. I didnt see Have I got News for You disappear with Angus Deyton, there are endless entertainment shows that rotate presenters and carry on - would TG cease without those three, yes it would as it stands now, would they create something refreshed, yes of course and you will still get a huge swab of current viewers tune in to check it out. I am not missing the point at all I fully understand that TG is a brand, please show me where i have said it isnt? What i am saying is i watch TG regardless of the "brand", i watch it because of the content, within that, the presenters, without those presenters i dont think the "content" i enjoy will be as good because of their interaction. I cannot speak for the other 5m viewers each week, but i would imagine they are regular viewers, the numbers are just too constant for people to be flicking in and out, they have a fan base. So, i have answered your question perhaps you can answer mine, eventually. You want a car programme, whats wrong with 5th gear? I dont actually watch any car programmes at the moment
  3. The brand is also the content, what is Coca Cola if its not the taste of Coca Cola, the colour of Coca Cola and so on? But that taste is made up of lots of things, yes take out their caramel ingredient and replace with another caramel ingredient it will taste different but people will still drink Coke. This is true as this has happened dozens of times over the years. You said 'do you honestly think people watch TG because its called TG' - I would say yes they do, remove the actors in it and a fair amount of people will still watch it, like many other TV shows. The TG brand contains the look, feel and content which appeals to lots of people - remove the actors within this mix and yes some will leave (and I guarantee it wont be all the 1m that signed the petition) but people will just watch it because its TG.
  4. Dont believe a word of that, sorry, if i am wrong please show me where thats the case? So you cant have the The Stig, well you could have The Stog in multi coloured race suit then Most copyrights include similarities like this (although appreciate the point you are making) that anything which 'resembles' or draws its imagery from another is deemed to be copyrighted. Things like when Samsung using a similar 'bounce' when you drag down and release a screen to refresh was sued by Apple successfully I remember...?
  5. Do you honestly believe people watch TG just because its called TG?? You seem to make reference to people not wanting to watch the show (for varying reasons), i am sure you are aware of the figures, its clearly not the case, yourself, Ekona etc wanting to watch a "car show" are in the minority and if you did want to watch a car show, why not watch 5th Gear, thats a car show, but its ratings are shocking, hence why its moved to Discovery. No you are missing the point that TG is a brand, the logo, the name, the content the music at the start, everything. Of course people stop watching programmes, they do all the time, just because a show has 5m viewers each week doesnt mean its the same 5m each week thats just naive to think. People drift in and out of programmes for lots of reasons - do people watch Eastenders because its got a bunch of actors in it they like or because its Eastenders. I didnt see Have I got News for You disappear with Angus Deyton, there are endless entertainment shows that rotate presenters and carry on - would TG cease without those three, yes it would as it stands now, would they create something refreshed, yes of course and you will still get a huge swab of current viewers tune in to check it out.
  6. It will be interesting to see how much value is attributable to the brand vs the personality if that happened - there are clearly people disengaged from TG because it is so repetitive and have grown weary of the presenters - so you would have people tuning in to see a refreshed show. Then other that will migrate to anything new, if the three of them want to do that, on another channel. Clearly though not everyone has Sky so any comparison is not really like for like in terms of viewing.
  7. If Clarkson goes I presume all three of them go?
  8. We got two sofas (non leather ones) 5 years ago and both are still going strong despite a baby boy arriving in the meantime and jumping all over them, no problems at all.
  9. Well...its been ten days since the driver smashed up poor Focus and left no details, I pressed the Hounslow store delivery manager to find out who it was, he said there were no deliveries that night, I told him to ask each driver who did it as clearly he is going to get identified next time he is down our road which he said he wouldnt do. Spoke to my neighbour Tuesday night who said the same driver delivered to her and got the details off him. Passed these on to the Hounslow store delivery manager on Weds morning and still nothing back, he promised to call by Saturday. I am very close to driving down there...absolutely disgusting behaviour by Asda, pathetic.
  10. Surely we get Ricey onto the case, pretend he's interested and find out who they are and where they are
  11. Good work Steve, loving that
  12. haha signed! Just to show what a farce the 1m clarkson one is!
  13. TG has something like 5m viewers or something, so 1 in 5 theoretically signed it - although I bet there are plenty on there that dont even watch it signed it for the hell of it.
  14. This is worse than transfer deadline day in terms of rumours!
  15. Took my father in law out in the Skyline, not sure if it was the loud boosting sound but he described it as like being sat on a plane thats taking off
  16. Yes it was cold in London too I was in Falmouth for the 1999 eclipse so this was probably always going to fail compared to that event where we sat on the beach and it went pitch black, all the gulls stopped making a noise and people started a few bonfires!
  17. Stopped on Embankment bridge on the way to the office, as you can see London was somewhat underwhelming, actually it was crap. Even without the cloud it barely got noticeably darker, all that fuss over nothing too interesting!
  18. Ha I read it as a skyline also!
  19. Evo GSR 6 purchase price circa £6k same as a DE - stage 3 remap cost around £1200 takes it to 350bhp and given something like 300kg difference in weight is probably not far off a SC DE Zed in terms of performance which will cost you circa £12k-£15k once you are done I would have thought - being a complete non-expert in either bearing in mind.
  20. Start with a TME Evo 6 and then go crazy
  21. Yeah got to agree, high power with ultimate control is always going to be better than ultimate power without the right chassis to go with it. I did a few track laps on those cheap days out in Astons etc and the ability for them to throw a few hundred bhp through the wheels in the corners and just drive around them at high speed without it flailing all over the place is incredible, the difference in engineering is a country mile. I guess if you are driving from London to Scotland via the M1 a 750 bhp Zed is probably fun, driving anywhere else...stick me in the Ferrari any day. ...back on topic, when I got the 350z I thought wow, but then my previous car was a 1.4TSi Scirocco, most people do get excited about a 350z as it is now quite a very strong candidate for peoples first powerful sports/gt car. However, getting into the VX220 afterwards made it feel like a van...the R33 creaked and leaned all over the shop, but that turbo rush gave quite a different experience. The guy that bought my zed thought it was a very rapid car, but then he was 20 and came to view it in a golf diesel. I gave a mate a lift who owned a 500bhp Evo and said it was sluggish and unresponsive. And so on...
×
×
  • Create New...