Absolutely, which is why people should not be going on about it as a bad thing and that the Leave campaign are whiter than white, or that the current government is so morally wrong compared to others (because Labour would have done the same thing in the blink of an eye) - but as I say, I bet plenty of people are now reading the red tops and being brainwashed into something it isn't.
My neighbour had his in laws stay over and he ended up having a row with them on Europe - the in laws are old school working class scottish who were picking news stories out of the Sun and using that as a reason for leaving i.e. Romanian man claims benefits whilst in a big house etc...I wonder how many people believed the Sun when they said 1 in 5 muslims in the UK support IS, and how many of those same people took the time to read the article that had the Sun apologising for misleading the country with the headline?