Member on here not to be trusted ...

veilside z

A fellow member on here offered to sell me an engine from a car he was breaking, we agreed a figure and he promised to confirm Sunday last that he had removed it from the car, and arrange a courier to have it collected and delivered to me. Having heard nothing being Wednesday, asked my son to search Ebay for such. He came forward with details of one he was offered, not knowing its the one that was agreed to be sold to me by a fellow member. After I sent him a PM showing my disgust, he finally replied that he was keeping his options open ... The car is presently sitting minus an engine. Moderators notified if only to prevent this happening elsewhere. All PM's available for inspection. .

Although I'd imagine this is very annoying from a buyers point of view, you also have to look at it from the sellers side. Although there decent people out there, there are a lot of timewasters about which gets infuriating. If selling a car etc, I'd always keep welcoming new interest until I had the cash firmly in my hand.

Although I'd imagine this is very annoying from a buyers point of view, you also have to look at it from the sellers side. Although there decent people out there, there are a lot of timewasters about which gets infuriating. If selling a car etc, I'd always keep welcoming new interest until I had the cash firmly in my hand.

Hmm... I agree with this but again I don't.

If it's a case of selling the car, everything is agreed and all the seller needs to do it get the mot done for example then it's sold, it should be an exclusive sale. Not still advertising it.

So in this situation the engine just needed to be removed and prepped for delivery. As all money had been agreed. So this should have been an exclusive sale.

Personally I would have send a deposit to show commitment. Had you offered and the seller not wanted to take one then that's a different story.

I would often say no to deposits and it was on a 'first to put cash in my hand' kind of thing. - this is because previously I've had deposits and people then can't collect for a week or 2.

It's not about buyer's or seller's perspective it's about agreeeing one thing and doing another.

If a seller wants to "welcome new interest" or auction it (as it's usually called), go straight to an auction sight and put it up. Don't agree a price on here in principle with someone who needs it, then go to an auction site knowing full well that you've got your reserve price in your pocket, but you might be able to flush out a few quid extra.

If the OP's original offer wasn't good enough, why accept it but auction it on the side. It's a @*!# way to conduct yourself, all assuming what's been posted by the OP is how it went down, and, as yet there's no reason to believe otherwise.

• Like 1

I know you'd expect bit more transparency when dealing with a forum member but still.

1) Seller lists item

2) Buyer gets in touch

3) Price and collection is agreed

4) Few days pass and seller fends off interest from other potential buyers

5) Buyer texts seller saying "sorry somethings come up and I'm going to have to pull out, really really sorry etc"

6) We're all sat on the sellers side on here and having a pop at the buyer

The annoying factor was the price agreed by him was to be £750 plus £75 courier delivery and was offered though Ebay to my son at £950 plus £25. Monies were to be transferred by PAYPAL Sunday after confirmation of removal. Lets bear in mind this is a car being broken for parts, having most removed already. The payment after removal was the idea of the other person as he quoted I could be trusted as I had a high post count. All PM's are available to mods for perusal. :dry:

I posted a Engine Wanted ad. He contacted me. Obviously no other interest as orffered to my son last night . However I have been in contact with Clark Motorsport and have one in hand. :yahoo:

Edited by veilside z

Had something similar on the GT4 forum, a guy put up a post offering to sell an alu undertray, I already had a wanted ad up and another member immediately posted onto the sale thread (which had no price) that I was looking - I PM'd the guy, he offered a price, I accepted it and asked for Paypal details at around 8pm then nothing, next morning I look back on the sale thread and around the same time I asked for paypal details some other member (who had seen I had posted up a wanted ad, had posted a 'PMd you response' so blatently wasn't in there first) had offered £20 more than what the seller offered to me at. Basically the seller offered it then changed his mind when he got a better offer.

Actually glad it fell through as I am going to get an OEM undertray now but blatent gazumping happens on there - glad there is much better forum etiquette on here.

• Like 1

Agreed, have you paid a deposit? Did you offer to?

Surely, if you were selling you'd request a deposit Dan, as opposed to expect the buyer to offer one?

I would indeed, but if the seller doesn't then a buyer should. I've done that before when buying cars, just to make sure the seller knew I was serious.

I suspect that once the seller realised just how much Paypal were going to take in fees, he realised that he needed to up the cost a bit.

• Like 1

The annoying thing was buddy, I was sitting awaiting the phone call as promised, and him having no intention of phoning to let me know while the Z's sitting around engineless and the garage struggling for space. :rant:

If there was no deposit paid i cant see what the issue is.

is that not like going to a car dealer and saying yea i will buy that car for £10,000 next sunday not placing any deposit (commitment to it), to find the seller sold it on Wednesday to a person who turned up with the cash

I posted a Engine Wanted ad. He contacted me. Obviously no other interest as orffered to my son last night . However I have been in contact with Clark Motorsport and have one in hand. :yahoo:

Given this post, time to move on and thread closed

• Like 1