Beat way to clean dirty engine bay

dann2010

Hi guys like title says, best way to do it safely... its well dirty and everytime i wipe it it comes back, i want it all fully cleaned and looking like new again

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Edited by dann2010

I used a degreaser with a pastry brush to agitate around intricate/tight bits and a rag with carb cleaner for the easy bits, mix in a good amount of elbow grease too.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/caring-for-modern-engines.html

There's a few suggestions on here too: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/83535-cleaning-engine-bay-steam-cleaning-worth-and-if-so-where-is-best-in-the-north-east-area/page__st__20

Need to change your post heading. Nasty typo buddy. You could also dremel it to death like I did previously before I reworked my bay.

Dremel results after about 50 hours of effort or more.

c5ca549a-eeee-4a04-b151-04de709d05fd_zpsdb8a6b15.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3

Best way? Ask someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

Failing that pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

Failing both of those, a steam cleaner is by far the easiest way to do it yourself - work methodically on small areas at a time to clean it up, polish and dress where needed afterwards and you're done.

You can do it with a pressure washer - you're safest bet is to cover anything electrical/delecate/air intakes with cling film/plastic bags/tin foil - spay on a good degreaser (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, I'm looking at you!), allow to dwell for a minute or two, aggitate with a brush if needs be then carefully rinse off with water (lower pressure is safest, but most modern engines can cope with pressure washers so long as you're sensible with where you're directing it!). Carb cleaner is great for stubborn dirt, simply spray on a small area and then immediately wipe off with a rag, repeat as necessary - be careful around the trim though as it can stain if it dries out on plastics. When it's clean allow to dry (either go and have a beer or two, or run the engine for a bit to dry it out) and then dress appropraite areas. Again, it's usually best to work methodically over smaller areas than trying to do everything at once.

Or, accept defeat and just never look under the bonnet again. :teeth:

• Like 5

You can do it with a pressure washer - you're safest bet is to cover anything electrical/delecate/air intakes with cling film/plastic bags/tin foil - spay on a good degreaser (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, I'm looking at you!), allow to dwell for a minute or two, aggitate with a brush if needs be then carefully rinse off with water (lower pressure is safest, but most modern engines can cope with pressure washers so long as you're sensible with where you're directing it!). Carb cleaner is great for stubborn dirt, simply spray on a small area and then immediately wipe off with a rag, repeat as necessary - be careful around the trim though as it can stain if it dries out on plastics. When it's clean allow to dry (either go and have a beer or two, or run the engine for a bit to dry it out) and then dress appropraite areas. Again, it's usually best to work methodically over smaller areas than trying to do everything at once.

This is how I did mine :thumbs:

• 6 months later...
Need to change your post heading. Nasty typo buddy. You could also dremel it to death like I did previously before I reworked my bay.

Dremel results after about 50 hours of effort or more.

c5ca549a-eeee-4a04-b151-04de709d05fd_zpsdb8a6b15.jpg

Where did you get the chrome looking caps for your washer bottle and coolant etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk