Film/Video people help please

StevoD

Right i need some advice as i dont know what its called or how to fix it but if you look at this video when the viper and porsche move they become very out of focus, almost like the frame rate cant keep up everything seems fine just the what ever is moving seems to skip along

where as if we look at this video when the cars are moving about there is nothing like this, how do i remove it im assuming its something in the editing software but i have no idea what

Edited by StevoD

My only experience is limited, but does the original video frame rate match the settings on the working project and export you did? Also are both memory cards the same spec and fully able to cope with the bit rate of your camera?

Edited by SuperStu

Lookslike a low frame rate recording with high shutter speed. Not much you can do about it to be fair.

Do you think that's down to the media used (lower write speed for requirement) or just settings?

I ask as I saw something similar when playing with a gopro capture and I put that down to recording at a lower frame rate than my edit was for.

Nice holiday video in the other thread Steve however I'd have spent a little more time trimming some of the transition shots if you know what I mean. That said its a great movie which will hopefully give you great memories in years to come. :thumbs:

A much better effort than I've managed so far but I think a pic upgrade is on the cards.

I know there is a photography tips and tricks thread, video one may also be a good idea.

Edited by Fodder

Lookslike a low frame rate recording with high shutter speed. Not much you can do about it to be fair.

so what would you recommend for the future, just lower the shutter speed?

both films where shot at 24 FPS

Edited by StevoD

You need to record at 60fps at least, preferably 120fps. That's by far and away the easiest way to sort this, you can do everything in post processing then.

You'll need to look at your lenses, as a lower shutter speed will require a change to the aperture size, and your current lenses might not be up to the task. Can you even set any of that when filming on yours? Remind me again what camera and lenses you're using?

You need to record at 60fps at least, preferably 120fps. That's by far and away the easiest way to sort this, you can do everything in post processing then.

You'll need to look at your lenses, as a lower shutter speed will require a change to the aperture size, and your current lenses might not be up to the task. Can you even set any of that when filming on yours? Remind me again what camera and lenses you're using?

currently a 550D and a Canon 10-18 ef-s was what i used in my super car siege video

But i dont think its the Fps as i know stephen brooks (video below) shoots in 24 fps and dont give him any issues granted alot more expensive camera and lenses

http://vimeo.com/29415949

http://vimeo.com/16596346

Edited by StevoD

That's your answer. Quality of lens and filming technique, time to break the wallet out! :D

Can you separate out shutter speed and aperture size when filming on your camera? I know I can't with my D90, but then I don't film on it anyway.

24fps is great for slow moving subjects and motion blur when combined with a 180 degree shutter (1/50 sec) on dslr.

This will allow cinematic motion blur but in the wrong edit it can just look poor quality.

I would film at 30fps and make sure your keeping your exposure in check with iso adjustments or nd filters. Adjusting shutter speed is lazy way to control exposure. If I shoot an edit that will need speed adjustments I shoot at 60fps this looks more videoish vs. A more filmic look with a slower fps and more motion blur.

24fps is great for slow moving subjects and motion blur when combined with a 180 degree shutter (1/50 sec) on dslr.

This will allow cinematic motion blur but in the wrong edit it can just look poor quality.

I would film at 30fps and make sure your keeping your exposure in check with iso adjustments or nd filters. Adjusting shutter speed is lazy way to control exposure. If I shoot an edit that will need speed adjustments I shoot at 60fps this looks more videoish vs. A more filmic look with a slower fps and more motion blur.

Not fast but moving. If you were at a 1/50th shutter speed it would look smoother.

I would shoot higher frame rate and lock shutter speed at double your FPS and control exposure manually using iso or F stop for better results

on my camera to shot anything above 25fps i have to go to 720p :(

I would go 720. I wonder how many people actually watch YouTube stuff on high quality monitors compared to people watching on phones or tablets.

I watched your video on a old iPad with half brightness so I'm never benifitting from high quality video.

Really enjoy your videos. And will Definatly be attending those car cruises next November when I'm back in Orlando. Very jeluse of your holiday!

on my camera to shot anything above 25fps i have to go to 720p :(

I would go 720. I wonder how many people actually watch YouTube stuff on high quality monitors compared to people watching on phones or tablets.

I watched your video on a old iPad with half brightness so I'm never benifitting from high quality video.

Really enjoy your videos. And will Definatly be attending those car cruises next November when I'm back in Orlando. Very jeluse of your holiday!

cheers mate im out at a drifting event with bizz in a few weekends so going to try a 720P film and get the peoples reviews, some reason my holiday video on youtube has gone barmy its jumping like crazy

1DC is old tech now and HUGELY overpriced. So many better options than the 1dc now. My A7s with shogun produces a killer image for a 1/3rd of the cost of a 1dc.

For weddings I though you would want a 4k camcorder really rather than a large sensor camera.