About to buy this any advice on what to look for

MattRwebB

There isn't really a huge amount of problems you would see as common issues to my knowledge with that one. I would ask the owner about more info as to how it became a cat c. Most people will take pictures that go along with the sale of the car to show the new owner what the damage to the car was. That would then show you what part of the car to pay extra attention to looking over

With it being Cat C, I'd definitely get someone to fully check out the underside of the car for chassis damage etc.

^^ This.

I'd definitely get it to a garage with ramps so that it can be properly inspected ~

An example of a 'Cat C' write-off would be a car worth £1,000 with a dent that costs £1,200 to fix. If the car is repaired and put back on the road, a Vehicle Identity Check is required from the DVSA for the car to be taxable, and thus roadworthy. However this test does not check if the car has been repaired properly - so if you are looking to buy one then get a mechanic to check the car over for you first.

Also if you have a specific insurance company you want to use (maybe your current insurer) just make sure that they will actually cover you for a Cat C car as some won't. It may mean a bit of shopping around for insurance otherwise if you do get it but I know most people already do that anyway. ;)

If you go for it check it over by a professional. I've bought a few before (not Zeds) with absolute no issues. Be advised though that when it comes to selling you may get problems. Also v5 needs the statement on it that's it's been checked and is safe and categorised.

Thanks guys i got it now all seems good! Love it!!

Few little bits i want some of you to look over maybe at the next meet you do so expect me there lol

When depressing the clutch its sounds a bit quieter and then bringing it back up i can hear a little thud or rattle not sure how to describe... seems fine though not sure if its normal ( all standard )

Cat C does not necessarily mean its been crashed, the category rating is based on cost of repair not the type of damage. If a car is keyed and has its windows smashed via vandalism its quite plausible to be a cat c write off. As the above advice says though, get it checked over up on the ramps, look for ripples in the bodywork under the bonnet, boot etc where things might have moved, make sure the car drives straight and brakes straight etc.

• Like 1

Oh you bought my old car... I rolled this when it was a year old. Looks like they did a pretty good job of the repair though... Roof was all staved, car was shaped like a banana...Its definitely mine if it has a noisy release baring on the clutch and the boot struts are weak!??? :scare: :scare:

Looks like a nice one in my opinion, as suggested just find out why it was cat c? Ive had loads of cat c and d cars and never been burnt. Just look it over properly. Yes it will be worth a bit less when you sell it but your buying it cheaper to start with. Buy it, drive it, run it upto to 100k, get your moneys worth out of it and sell it on. To many people buy cars wrap them in cotton wool/ hardly drive them thinking about re sale values, some even think they will never sell it (most people sell in the end) Cars are meant to be driven and a cat c or d is a great way to get a hr engined car which is far superior to the other models for a very good price.

Oh you bought my old car... I rolled this when it was a year old. Looks like they did a pretty good job of the repair though... Roof was all staved, car was shaped like a banana...Its definitely mine if it has a noisy release baring on the clutch and the boot struts are weak!??? :scare: :scare:

V

very sound advice, check this out before buying!

My car is a cat d. Its a 58 plate HR and I got it for £6250 with 37000 on clock. Its was front end damage but no airbags deployed. The headlight washers don't work as probably too expensive to replace but has gone thru 2 MoT's without them working. Never regretted getting it. Drives great and just about to have hfc's and reflash/remap done.

• Like 1

Took it to the garage as the steering wheel is off .. It's got a bent track rod and I can't remember the name of the bush just next to the track rod it's quite big about the size of a fist and Circular and I think the sub frame sits in it .. One if them is bent so waiting for prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk