Fist time buyer - Advice

Juggalo

Hi guys.

Hope you can help me out. I've sold my car, and I'm seriously thinking of buying a 350Z. My budget is about 4700, so I guess it will be a 2003ish car, and shopping hard for a low miler.

Knowing nothing about these cars mechanically, is there anything I should be looking for, signature problems (already read about the ticking axle, seems an easy fix).

And generally what are they like to live with? I've just sold my Fiesta ST which I bought for a runaround 3 years ago, but was so reliable I kept it. Would love something that reliable again.

Thanks!

Buyers guide is very comprehensive.

I think you're looking at a high miler on that budget.

I would imagine parts vs the ST are a lot more expensive in comparison.

Ours has been very good over the last 4 years but a clutch will set you back around £800 fitted so I'm not looking forward to that!

Think I say this at least once a week.....

Spend more and get a better one. Under 5 grand for a 350Z is the bottom of the barrel. You might get lucky and pick a peach but it's more than likely you'll end up with a lemon :lol:

6 grand is a much better budget in my opinion. Good luck with your search and :welcome:

• Like 1

Just looked on Autotrader (out of interest) and there are plenty of 350 Zeds that fall within your budget Juggalo but obviously most are high milers, imports or automatics.

Link: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/nissan/350_z/postcode/cf158rl/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/sort/default

Personally I would try & save a little more to up your budget or as you mentioned possibly consider a loan for a few £k to see you in a better car to start with.

Some members have bought cheap Zeds (some from other members too so that's no guarantee it will be trouble free) that have ended up costing them a lot more money than they expected with some having found the clutch going on the way home or worse, engine problems. :scare:

Whatever you decide you really need to get a Zed with a FSH ~ doesn't have to be Nissan FSH just a good history following the service schedule as much as possible so that you know the car has been well looked after. Even a high mileage example will be better (imo) than a lower mileage example with little or no service history.

Service schedule for the 350 here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Just looked on Autotrader (out of interest) and there are plenty of 350 Zeds that fall within your budget Juggalo but obviously most are high milers, imports or automatics.

Link: http://www.autotrade...ew/sort/default

Personally I would try & save a little more to up your budget or as you mentioned possibly consider a loan for a few £k to see you in a better car to start with.

Some members have bought cheap Zeds (some from other members too so that's no guarantee it will be trouble free) that have ended up costing them a lot more money than they expected with some having found the clutch going on the way home or worse, engine problems. :scare:

Whatever you decide you really need to get a Zed with a FSH ~ doesn't have to be Nissan FSH just a good history following the service schedule as much as possible so that you know the car has been well looked after. Even a high mileage example will be better (imo) than a lower mileage example with little or no service history.

Service schedule for the 350 here: http://www.350z-uk.c...ule-for-a-350z/

:thumbs:

Thanks GM. I did see a 2010 plate with 50K going for 5k on there, but that sounds a bit too good to be true. It is a minefield below 5k.

It seems for 8k you can get a really nice one with FSH, low miles, etc.

I think I'll top up with a loan, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

• Like 1

All very sound advice. In fact if you feel able to top up with an extra 3k mine is for sale on here Black 06 non modified 32k on the clock hasn't been messed around with almost immaculate in every sense fsh hardly run in! I'd negotiate a bit on the 8k I've got her up for. Brilliant sound system and sub. Looks and drives superbly.

I think all 3 of her owners including me just have no time to drive her. You're welcome to come and have a nosey if you're not too far away I'm 20 mins from the M4 Swindon.

You'll enjoy a zed whatever you pay but in my experience low mileage, age and careful owners are a massive advantage and can help towards trouble free motoring.

Have fun looking! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would see whats available on the forum - theres seem to be a lot of new owners recently. I paid under £6000 for mine was a JDM but decent spec - I won't tell how much more Zeditus has cost me :stir: . Don't rule anything out until you have seen it but please buy one to drive and not soley to polish and look at ! Wales 2016 anyone ?

I paid under 6k for my jdm and the only time it let me down was a flat battery after not using it for while, bar normal costs (servicing). Low mileage, plenty of service stamps.

I just changed out the clutch and flywheel as it was juddering but it wasnt a necessity, it drove great just annoyed me :)

Above 5k should buy you a good one so long as your cautious and recognise any potential problems.

Sorted the duplicated posts :)

Good luck with the zed hunt. Buying the car is not the most expensive part, fuel and insurance will take a nice chunk of your pay too. It's worth saving and waiting for the right zed to come along

• Like 2

Don't forget tyres are going to be more expensive as well. You do not want to be cheap on rubber!

If you can save another £1,000 that would really broaden your horizon for a Zed.

Edited by bamdc2

5K seems really cheap for a 350z imo. I paid 6.5 for mine and I felt I got a good deal but it was evident the car needed work.

All new tyres - £700

Various suspension bits - ranging from £60 to £600 quid!

New headunit -and speakers - £450

Plus all the other extras you will need to consider. Like gear knobs, lug nuts, antenna etc

It can get expensive.

• Like 1